• 7 Post By moriond
  • 1 Post By icebeng
  • 1 Post By moriond
  • 2 Post By Trailhiker
  • 1 Post By icebeng
  • 5 Post By Trailhiker

Thread: Guide's Pack padded hip belt?

Guide's Pack padded hip belt?

When the Guide's Pack was first released, I recall rumors that there was a padded hip belt in the works that would attach to both sets of waist belt loops. I've been planning some backpacking trips for the summer and thus far have held out on an actual backpack purchase because I've been hoping for the release of this padded hip belt which would make the Guide's Pack a viable option for me (I'm fine with a thin belt for day hikes but carrying sleeping bags, cooking equipment, etc, really necessitates a padded belt for me).

So, is there any news on this? (Maybe it will be one of the June releases?) Or has anyone come up with a DIY alternative?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ClaireJ View Post
    When the Guide's Pack was first released, I recall rumors that there was a padded hip belt in the works that would attach to both sets of waist belt loops. I've been planning some backpacking trips for the summer and thus far have held out on an actual backpack purchase because I've been hoping for the release of this padded hip belt which would make the Guide's Pack a viable option for me (I'm fine with a thin belt for day hikes but carrying sleeping bags, cooking equipment, etc, really necessitates a padded belt for me).

So, is there any news on this? (Maybe it will be one of the June releases?) Or has anyone come up with a DIY alternative?
    since the guides pack has been put on hiatus you will not be ordering one anytime soon with or without a belt...

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by twogunmojo View Post
    since the guides pack has been put on hiatus you will not be ordering one anytime soon with or without a belt...
    This is inaccurate information, since the Guide's Pack is in stock and available for order in all the available Parapack colors.

moriond

Yes I can understand why they won't be doing back orders for the Guide's Pack because I've been checking out the product page and it seems they've never went out of stock. Doesn't seem quite as popular as the other backpacks. I hope this doesn't mean there's no hope for the hip belt though...

Quote Originally Posted by ClaireJ View Post
    Yes I can understand why they won't be doing back orders for the Guide's Pack because I've been checking out the product page and it seems they've never went out of stock. Doesn't seem quite as popular as the other backpacks. I hope this doesn't mean there's no hope for the hip belt though...
    It could be because it's probably the most specialized TB bag in the line up. All the other bags could easily work as EDC bags or travel bags, but somehow the Guide's Pack... I really can't imagine doing anything except hiking or mountain climbing with it.
    eWalker likes this.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by icebeng View Post
    It could be because it's probably the most specialized TB bag in the line up. All the other bags could easily work as EDC bags or travel bags, but somehow the Guide's Pack... I really can't imagine doing anything except hiking or mountain climbing with it.
    @icebeng Perhaps a fairer statement is that someone who is a serious hiker might get the Guide's Pack and then use it as their main general backpack. Features like the reinforced frame design and modularity of the components are going to be more critical, along with additions to the functionality such as the padded hip belt mentioned by the original poster.

A backpack like the Synapse 25 was featured as the best Carry-On bag in the 2014 Carryology awards. and also appeals to the demographic using this bag as an urban backpack with more color options. Somehow, I can't imagine someone who is seriously interested in the Guide's Pack, stating that they will wait for this bag to be manufactured in burnt orange before placing an order!
    icebeng likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @icebeng Perhaps a fairer statement is that someone who is a serious hiker might get the Guide's Pack and then use it as their main general backpack. Features like the reinforced frame design and modularity of the components are going to be more critical, along with additions to the functionality such as the padded hip belt mentioned by the original poster.

A backpack like the Synapse 25 was featured as the best Carry-On bag in the 2014 Carryology awards. and also appeals to the demographic using this bag as an urban backpack with more color options. Somehow, I can't imagine someone who is seriously interested in the Guide's Pack, stating that they will wait for this bag to be manufactured in burnt orange before placing an order!

Moriond,

I couldn't agree with u more!

But I have to admit, now that u mention it the idea of a Parapack burnt orange is rather appealing.
    ( in addition to cordura)

that said I do have the guides pack already,
    Hmmm,
    actually two. :-/

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post

I 1st saw the Guide's Pack in the TB video going through all those beautiful forests and other parts of nature, that image stuck with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailhiker View Post
    Moriond,

I couldn't agree with u more!

But I have to admit, now that u mention it the idea of a Parapack burnt orange is rather appealing.
    ( in addition to cordura)

that said I do have the guides pack already,
    Hmmm,
    actually two. :-/
    Are they both the same color?
    eWalker likes this.

Ha!
    Hmmm, no.

Olive and steel.
    I like having my pack ready so I could just
    hit the go-hike button when I need to rather than packing up just before. The second one follows the same logic but is more of an artbox (artpack) for a more serious arts endeavor hike. (Before I had a recent injury I was hitting the trail about 4-5 times a week, I should be back to that routine in a couple of weeks)

All the above being said, after using my first one (the olive) and absolutely loving it I did have the fear that the folks at TB might determine that the Guides pack may have been too much of a niche product and would not continue it after this lot runs it course. (And I wanted to have a future back up)

So, it always nice to have a couple of reasons to go for a multiple selection! ;-)
    Last edited by Trailhiker; 05-29-2014 at 06:56 PM.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0