Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: SCB or MCB for sightseeing? (or another bag?)

SCB or MCB for sightseeing? (or another bag?)

I am debating whether an SCB or MCB would be better for sightseeing for an upcoming trip. (we'll be in Rome and Istanbul) I've done lots of traveling but this will be the first time sightseeing with the kids in tow. They will each have a small pack of their own - however I imagine from time to time they will hand me things to hold. Also, I'm guessing there are places (museums) where backpacks are discouraged?

Anticipated contents of my PLO:

- guidebook (hard copy: I think this will be easier for the kids to look at on the go, and perhaps read when we have down time)
    - long-sleeved shirt or light jacket, for changing weather or a cover-up when going into religious sites
    - water bottle
    - hat, when I'm not wearing it
    - a few snacks

I will have my SLR (50mm or 28-105 lens; likely only one at a time, not both) with me but that will probably be on my shoulder/around my neck most of the time.

I thought about the LCB but I feel like it will overwhelm me (I am 5' on a good day). The SCB is attractive because it can double as a purse when going out to dinner, but maybe it will be too small for daytime excursions? And the MCB obviously has more room, but I wonder if it will then languish once we are home. Though, I guess, I regularly a carry a half-full 16L backpack as my EDC, so that would be similar to the MCB's capacity. (How is the strap length for petite people? And do I need an Ultrasuede wrap?)

Help! Please share how you use your SCB/MCB, on the road or at home.

I purchased a MCB for just such occasions. I generally use mine at festivals or just for afternoons knocking around town. It should hold the items you mentioned pretty easily and leave a little room for any extras you may pick up. I also ordered the ultrasuede shoulder strap wrap which works very well for me. Also, the MCB should lay fairly flat if you decide to pack it inside another bag.
    haraya likes this.

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    This is one of the ways I use my Azalea/Sapphire MCB, and it will hold your contents easier than the scb. I also prefer the ultra suede wrap on the MCB.
    haraya likes this.
    I really, really like TB Bags!

Ditto for me on responses from @dorayme and @BarryLee. The SCB is my typical daily purse but the MCB works much better for sight-seeing while traveling.
    haraya likes this.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

SCB works for me when travelling - but i dont have as much as you to carry. If i need more capacity I pull out the PCSB.

I am possibly in the minority in liking to check my bag in museums etc - i like the freedom of not lugging the bag - of course the locker or whatever has to bee reasonable secure but I haven't had any problems.
    List under construction ....

Fantastic!! Thank you all for your insights. (dorayme, Azalea/Sapphire sounds amazing!!) Hmmm, now to deliberate on colors....

Ditto on all the above for the MCB and ultraswede wrap.
    I have the MCB in a few colors and materials and wth each new member I have the sniper ready to take off the stock pad.
    I have been also known to take along a SCB ( used as a packing cube) for a leisurely stroll out to dinner from the hotel where I didn't want the impact of a larger bag as I would during the day.

Linen is a wonderful color!

Oh interesting, I like the idea of using the SCB as a packing cube!

I do want a Cafe Bag but am sitting on my hands, trying not to add twelve other things to my wish list/cart. ;P

I have a Ristretto for iPad. It is similar to the MCB but a bit thicker for the iPad compartment. I actually don't carry my iPad often but I use this bag daily as a purse or gear bag. It is also a good tour bag though I wish it had a place for a water bottle. I use the Absolute Should Strap which makes this bag feel weightless.
    haraya likes this.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    Fantastic!! Thank you all for your insights. (dorayme, Azalea/Sapphire sounds amazing!!) Hmmm, now to deliberate on colors....
    Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    Oh interesting, I like the idea of using the SCB as a packing cube!

I do want a Cafe Bag but am sitting on my hands, trying not to add twelve other things to my wish list/cart. ;P
    @haraya To see pictures of bags in Azalea, and a few of the older discontinued Cordura colors like Punch and Turquoise, take a look at the pictures in the Punch? thread. The Small Cafe Bag fits neatly into one of the Western Flyer front pockets, and also holds a couple of the Eagle Creek Specter II Quarter packing cubes. To see more examples (with the Small Cafe Bag in Azalea in a photo beside various Eagle Creek Specter II cubes, and other items), see Ms. Ferret's 2 weeks in Iceland/UK thread.

moriond

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    The Small Cafe Bag fits neatly into one of the Western Flyer front pockets...
    That's handy to know - I'll have to try it out on a future trip! (when I get my SCB...)
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

moriond, as always I am in awe of your encyclopedic knowledge of the information contained in these forums! (Fora? ) I went with the MCB for this trip (Black Dyneema/Solar: light, neutral, with added bonus of a soon-to-be-vintage interior colorway), but have not ruled out an SCB for an eventual EDC. I'm eager to see what might be introduced in June... I wonder if there will be new colorways?? Even if no new fabrics are introduced, I wouldn't say no to an Aubergine SCB. Or maybe a Black/UV!

linnefaulk thank you for that comparison - I was looking at the Ristretto and wondering how it compares to the Cafe bags in size.

Trailhiker I would love a bag in Linen someday!! But just couldn't deal with the Navy interior (and also it was out of stock in the MCB size ). Linen/Olive would be lovely, I think. Or Linen/Burnt Orange.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @haraya To see pictures of bags in Azalea, and a few of the older discontinued Cordura colors like Punch and Turquoise, take a look at the pictures in the Punch? thread. The Small Cafe Bag fits neatly into one of the Western Flyer front pockets, and also holds a couple of the Eagle Creek Specter II Quarter packing cubes. To see more examples (with the Small Cafe Bag in Azalea in a photo beside various Eagle Creek Specter II cubes, and other items), see Ms. Ferret's 2 weeks in Iceland/UK thread.

moriond

haraya, the MCB was an excellent choice. Like others I love my ultrasuede wrap. It makes the bag stay on my shoulde. An impossible task without it.
    Moose
    haraya likes this.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Trailhiker I would love a bag in Linen someday!! But just couldn't deal with the Navy interior (and also it was out of stock in the MCB size ). Linen/Olive would be lovely, I think. Or Linen/Burnt Orange.
    I think linen/burnt orange would be lovely! I have both these fabrics now, and they are equally difficult to photograph because they transform in different lighting conditions. Both are gorgeous.
    Hollie and haraya like this.

UPDATE: So, I ordered the black Dyneema/Solar MCB, but when it arrived it was a lovely... Nordic/Solar! By that time when I looked, they only had Black/Solar in the SCB, or Black/UV in the MCB (i.e., not my original color preference in the original size I wanted). In any case, I decided to do a test pack while the MCB was here.

The Nordic was lovely, and I loved all the space, however... I felt overwhelmed by the width of the bag. I tried to convince myself that the flexibility of the Dyneema would compensate, but I just couldn't deal. (To recap, I'm five feet tall (-ish ), and usually take a small or medium in tops.) After I walked around the house, and looked at the bag on me - I called and asked to exchange the Nordic medium for a Black Dyneema/Solar in the Small Cafe size.

Here's the medium:

DSC_0817 by harayablu, on Flickr
    DSC_0816 by harayablu, on Flickr

This is what I packed in the Medium:

DSC_0824 by harayablu, on Flickr

Contents placed inside the MCB:

DSC_0814 by harayablu, on Flickr

The folding cap distorts the shape somewhat in the photo - it doesn't actually take up that much space, and there's plenty of room on the right side for something else. Here's the MCB with the pink folding cap removed:

DSC_0814 by harayablu, on Flickr

For instance, I could add a raincoat:

DSC_0818 by harayablu, on Flickr

But ultimately I couldn't deal with this wide bag on me as I walked around. I might feel differently if I were taller, but even with downsizing my carry I was frustrated by the bulk.

Enter the SCB! I put it on and was immediately fond of this little trooper.

(took the picture with the flap Solar side out for more contrast)

(continued in next post)
    Last edited by haraya; 06-16-2014 at 02:44 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0