Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: SCB or MCB for sightseeing? (or another bag?)

I was able to get pretty much the same things in the SCB as I planned to put in the MCB:

(with pink cap)

Contents: Pink folding baseball cap, Rick Steves guidebook, 18 oz. Klean Kanteen, long-sleeved shirt in a size small, a medium Double Org Pouch with my EDC sundries in it.

(Pink cap removed to show other contents

Note, there is not really much extra room, except for flat things like a folded piece of paper or map. I don't have any knitting WIPs in this test pack, for example, and it would be hard to stuff a rain jacket or extra snacks in there. (There's a bit of leeway at the top - I could probably pull out the shirt, slide a med OP with my knitting in it, and scrunch the shirt on top of all the rest of the stuff, with the flap to hold it closed. (but I haven't put a wallet in there yet)

So, I will have to be more deliberate about packing for a day of sightseeing - e.g., if we will be going into churches, I might wear a shawl as a coverup and tie it around my shoulders or waist the rest of the time. Or I can leave the guidebook at the hotel, or have DH/one of the kids put it in their pack.

Another thing the test pack made me realize is that beyond a certain load weight, I prefer to carry backpack-style (or possibly tote-style, if it has handles like the Shop Bags) - I don't like a heavy messenger bag. I also thought about using the PCBP most of the day, and having the SCB inside as a packing cube. Then, if we go into a place which doesn't allow backpacks, I can put most of my gear into the SCB, and wear the rest (jacket/shawl/things in pockets).

(I also returned the Ultrasuede strap - I didn't find it necessary for what I was carrying in the SCB, and I also found that it wasn't always in the position I needed - I switch sides a lot, and since the U/SS doesn't slide, I was having to snap and unsnap it a lot, or put up with a lump against my back. I might want it eventually for some other type of bag, but for now I don't need it. I also found that the waist strap, at least on the MCB, hit me at about mid-thigh. But I'm keeping it for now, thinking it may be useful for crowded situations where I don't want to worry about pickpockets sliding my bag away from me. We'll see how it works out.)

In summary: it was interesting to see how my thoughts about packing for this purpose changed. I thought I'd want the flexibility of more space, but realized that the form factor made more of a difference than I thought. I like the compact size of the SCB, I can keep it on me without a second thought (sitting down, walking, with or without a second bag - for instance a backpack or Shop Bag), whereas the MCB was definitely a "Point A to Point B" bag - strictly for transport, not something I wanted on me all the time. Yay for the TB crew for making the exchange process so seamless, and thanks to all of the Bihnions here for helping me work through this decision!
    Last edited by haraya; 06-16-2014 at 07:29 AM.

I have a well traveled SCB from Ebay in Linen/Olive. It really is lovely.
    haraya likes this.

Great photos! I never looked at dyneema for cafe bags before, but I really like it in the photos. I also have never been a solar fan...until I ordered the solar travel tray (just out of curiosity for the colour) and I really love it! As a bag interior it is great, nice and light. I might look at getting a SCB in dyneema. I have currently the linen MCB and its my daily bag.
    haraya likes this.

I can recommend a Dyneema SCB. My black Dyneema/wasabi SCB is one of my go-to edc. It is so light, pliable, and stuffs into a suitcase zippered pocket very easily.

Great photos of the packed SCB! Thanks!

I haven't been able to find a photo of the SCB unpacked though. If someone here has some shots of one empty so that I could get a feel for the internal organization, it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, Inside the main compartment of the Small Café Bag, you'll find four organizer pockets. One of the pockets is sized for your iPhone... worries me a bit as one of my phones is a Nexus 5. At 14.5 x 7.5 x 1.2 cm cased, it's a fair bit bigger than an iPhone. Just how large is that pocket?

(Life is further complicated by the fact that I carry two phones and an external battery pack when I travel internationally on business.)

Thanks!
    haraya likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    Also, Inside the main compartment of the Small Café Bag, you'll find four organizer pockets. One of the pockets is sized for your iPhone... worries me a bit as one of my phones is a Nexus 5. At 14.5 x 7.5 x 1.2 cm cased, it's a fair bit bigger than an iPhone. Just how large is that pocket?
    No worries on the pocket size. I fit my iPhone, a pack of Kleenex (12.2 x 8.2 x 1 cm), gum, and the lipstick-sized Jackery bar in my SCB's "phone pocket."

It's not completely empty, but here's a look inside a lightly packed SCB. That's a size 2 Stuff Sack inside.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  790.2 KB
    Last edited by hamiltee; 07-10-2014 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Added dimensions of Kleenex packet.

And a few more pics...

A view inside the SCB with solar stuff sack at bottom for contrast:
Views: 205
Size:  633.7 KB

And with the bag turned inside out, here's front panel with pockets:
Views: 205
Size:  764.6 KB

...and the inside back panel:
Views: 207
Size:  738.7 KB

Great photos of the packed SCB! Thanks!

I haven't been able to find a photo of the SCB unpacked though. If someone here has some shots of one empty so that I could get a feel for the internal organization, it would be greatly appreciated.

(Life is further complicated by the fact that I carry two phones and an external battery pack when I travel internationally on business.)

Thanks!
    I have a Nexus 5 in a Spigen case, it goes into the SCB's internal pocket easily, no worries there, jeff!
    haraya likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by icebeng View Post
    I have a Nexus 5 in a Spigen case, it goes into the SCB's internal pocket easily, no worries there, jeff!
    You couldn't have answered the question I had any better -- mine is in a Spiegen Neo Hybrid...

I'm still struggling with sizing, but it seems like it would be just a bit wider than an Eagle Creek Specter Half Cube.

Are there any great suggestions with what to do with a 29 cm long umbrella in a 27 cm tall bag? I haven't (yet) found color-coordinating umbrella sleeves that clip to the bag somehow. There's only that one oblong ring on one end of the strap that I can see. Am I missing some noseeum or Dynema magic somewhere? I'm more than willing to sew something up myself if there is a good idea of how to attach it cleanly. (No, unfortunately, "Leave it at home." doesn't work when you visit London and Scotland a bunch.)

Edit -- I'm now thinking of flipping one of the o-ring straps out of the top and using the waist-strap loop at the bottom to secure some sort of sleeve to the side.
    Last edited by jeff; 07-10-2014 at 09:18 PM.

Are there any great suggestions with what to do with a 29 cm long umbrella in a 27 cm tall bag? I haven't (yet) found color-coordinating umbrella sleeves that clip to the bag somehow. There's only that one oblong ring on one end of the strap that I can see. Am I missing some noseeum or Dynema magic somewhere? I'm more than willing to sew something up myself if there is a good idea of how to attach it cleanly. (No, unfortunately, "Leave it at home." doesn't work when you visit London and Scotland a bunch.)
    Depending on how full the bag is stuffed, the cover flap has some give, so the umbrella might fit in the SCB. Here's a post of mine showing an 11.25" (~28.5 cm) tall water bottle in the SCB with the flap closed.
    Small or Medium Cafe Bag?

As for clipping stuff on the outside of a CB, I used this square key ring from Home Depot. I clipped it to the small loop of fabric at the end of the shoulder strap.
    Name:  photo 2.JPG
Views: 158
Size:  439.6 KB

Name:  photo 3.JPG
Views: 155
Size:  520.7 KB

Name:  photo 4.JPG
Views: 156
Size:  456.5 KB

ETA: If you liked the square key ring for clipping, you could probably add some type of loop at the waist band connector on the CB to secure your umbrella. That would provide to points of confining the umbrella (one top, one bottom) so it might not swing as much.

P.S.-
    Does anyone know how to rotate the images so the right-side-up instead of rotated 90 degrees?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by hamiltee; 07-11-2014 at 06:28 AM.

I did some testing and measuring with my 27 cm umbrealla: Just be aware that the 27 cm given for the SCB is something in between the front panel and the highest way the flap can stratch when closed. So, as mentioned, if not packed to the brim, you might have enaugh space inside the bag, but pictures say more and have no translation to do, so here you go:

Name:  SCB Umbr. 2.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  518.4 KB

Name:  SCB Umbr. 1.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  612.2 KB

Name:  SCB Umbr. 3.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  373.1 KB

Name:  SCB Umbr. 4.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  837.5 KB

I hope this helps a bit. The SE is reasonably full, just to give more perspective.

Ilkyway

Thanks for all the help -- I ended up passing on the one remaining Nordic/Solar that a phone call to Tom Bihn said they had in stock (at least this morning, Pacific time), and somehow my $60 bag ended up being a $246 order. Couldn't decide between Black/Ultraviolet and Black/Wasabi (having never really seen either), so I ordered both. Of course, I had to get an overdose of Organizer Pouches, Stuff Sacks, and Yarn Stuff Sacks as well.

I also ordered some of the Gate Keeper and Triangle Metal Hook parts so I suspect I'll be able to rig something pretty cleanly. I might un-sew the strap to slide them on (and potentially remove the plastic "shoulder pad"), but I'll have to see how it all feels after a bit of use.

Again, thanks all for making a "sight-unseen" purchase a lot easier!

If you have the time to do some pictures I would be very interested in your solution you will come up with.

Ilkyway

I was searching but could not find it: can anybody point me to or post a picture of the smal and medium Cafe Bag side by side?

Ilkyway

Hi Ilkyway,

I have the SCB and MCB @home. I'll snap a picture tonight when I'm back from work.

Cheers,

Poker Face
    Big fan of Nordic dyneema (aeronaut, PCSB, PCBP, TT, LSB, SSB, SE, SCB, MCB, co-pilot, synapse 19). OK, so where am I going to put all that stuff...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0