• 3 Post By Trailhiker
  • 2 Post By scribe
  • 6 Post By dorayme
  • 2 Post By Walker
  • 2 Post By kkintea
  • 1 Post By taminca

Thread: How do you use your multiples?

How do you use your multiples?

I'm particularly interested in how owners of multiple SCBs/other CBs use them. Do you swap them seasonally or to match outfits, or do you keep different bags loaded with different types of gear? I'm contemplating modifying a SCB into a FJN of sorts, with a notebook, pens, and other accessories to mark up conference or other reading material, or perhaps postcards, envelopes, and stamps to create a letter-writing kit. I'm stretching here, as I don't write letters that often anymore.

I could also see using CBs for toys or books. Would appreciate your ideas. I *somehow* went from one SCB that is my EDC to...more than one. How did that happen?

I have had two SCBs for the past few weeks. One of them is my daily carry, and the other one... is my son's! He is 2.5. I have been trying to get a picture of him wearing it to post here, but have yet to get a good one. I pack it with a set of extra clothes, his "restaurant toys" (special cars he can only play with while waiting for food at a restaurant), sunglasses, and a snack bar. He loves that it is the same as mom's and he insists on carrying it whenever we go for a walk. It's been great to separate his stuff from his sister's, so that he can more easily go on solo excursions with dad.

When I purchased the first SCB about six months ago, I had intended it to be my son's first bag, just did not realize it would be quite so soon. But the Linen/Navy SCB called to me, and I answered. If another fabric combination comes out that I can't resist, I will not hesitate to get another (after all, I do have two children....)

I do have dedicated bags for specific purposes. For example, I have a Zephyr as my "office" bag. Not a bag to take to the office, but a bag that contains all my office supplies, including envelopes, stamps, checkbook, portable scanner, etc. Basically everything you would have found in my desk drawers when I had a desk.
    Walker and eWalker like this.

I have a plum/wasabi MCB that's my non-work EDC for trips into town and general leisure use - it's plenty big enough to slip a magazine in the back pocket, and the main compartment holds a compact brolly, a yarn stuff sack and any small purchases I make. Or I can slip a SE in there if I want more organisation.

I'm currently waiting on a SCB for taking to conventions - the colour scheme (steel/iberian) will coordinate better with the "business" outfits I tend to wear, and I just need something big enough for a program booklet plus the kind of essentials I would otherwise carry in my SE.

I can also foresee acquiring more TB bags as project bags - I currently have a leather satchel as my "writing bag", but it's not really big enough for my FJN plus my iPad Mini and all my other notebooks, and I keep drawing supplies in a cotton tote for want of another structured bag. However I prefer horizontal messenger bags so I'm holding out for a new Imago-like design rather than buying more CBs.

As for my multiple SEs, that's definitely a case of colour coordination + different usage. The Olive/UV one is my workday EDC to match my S19, whilst the black and aubergine ones are for coordinating with my black and/or aubergine travel bags
    Last edited by scribe; 05-27-2014 at 11:05 PM.
    eWalker likes this.
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Hmmm,
    Tom Bihn multiples, :-/

It does happen.
    And then it happens on top of the happen.

My SE's, they have multiplied more than the bunnies in the surrounding fields.
    My co-pilots?
    Let's just say this front of the plane needs a few more jump-seats.
    Did u know there is a bluish steel ballistic nylon as well as a greenish steel?
    Depending on the pants or jacket one better suits the other.
    Then there is black for the more serious moments.
    My Parapack and dyneema SE's are more generally dispatched to hiking / pack organization/ first aid kit,
    inner organization for travel bags and studio work.
    The black or steel ballistic versions are for travel or more dressy occasions ( can't wait for the black Parapack SE)

Since there is always a "man bag" in my travels.
    Having a choice of colors/ sizes and fabrics in the SCB and MCB are actually a "necessity"
    For a casual outing nothing goes better with off-white trousers than Linen.
    Parapack steel or black is a dressier option w dark slacks.

I could go on, but it's time to hit the hay.
    G-nite!

Quote Originally Posted by Trailhiker View Post
    Did u know there is a bluish steel ballistic nylon as well as a greenish steel?
    I know that steel parapack is greenish (I have an FJN in steel parapack), but I'm pretty sure my returned TriStar in steel ballistic was bluish. I've not seen a greenish ballistic steel, AFAIK.

*makes mental note to check pouches when she gets home*
    Walker and eWalker like this.
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    I only have one SCB, but I have a clutch of LS, and several of my other bags have twins or siblings. . .
    For my LS, I rotate by season or what I'm wearing.
    For the MCB, the multiples work out so that I use one, and two of my kids carry one.
    For shop bags, we use them all for groceries, park, library, pool, etc. in other word we need multiples and generally we use most on any given week.
    For my Swifts, I can switch out for seasons, but currently two are in use holding an ongoing afghan project.
    We could get by with fewer bags, but I wouldn't want to. I like not having to empty a bag to be able to use it for some new use. I like being able to change my look on a whim, but keep the system of pockets and pouches that works for me. I like using the bags for organization (dedicated use). I like knowing that when we use a bag, we can count on it. TB bags, rarely (never in my personal experience, though I admit that is limited) fail. I think some would rather have just the one of something, and for them that's enough. But some of us find things actually simplified by having more than one.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP, RiPad, FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

I have 1 each of the SCB & MCB. But like Dorayme, I have multiple LS. I rotate them by season. No need to matchy-matchy with outfit since my clothes & shoes are on the black/white themes.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailhiker View Post
    (can't wait for the black Parapack SE)
    I second this nomination!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post
    I second this nomination!
    Third vote for Black Parapack SE! Preferably with Wasabi lining
    eWalker likes this.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0