Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By readmore

Thread: Can't keep the front flap strap tightened on my SCB

Can't keep the front flap strap tightened on my SCB

I picked up a SCB last week and while the parapack is a little too floppy for my taste, I've also found that the front flap strap doesn't stay tightened. I keep my bag very lightly packed, so there is a gap in the top flap where it folds over that I'm trying to minimize. Tightening the strap helps just a bit, but it won't stay tight! Anyone else with the same issue?

Would you post a picture of the gap, because I can't quite envision the problem? I keep my linen cordura SCB lightly packed - right now I have a 3D fabric organizer cube along the bottom of the bag with my bulky sunglasses case sitting on top of that and some pens, gum and Kleenex in e interior pockets. The flap is currently snapped closed, but I don't see a noticeable gap.

I have 2 SCBs, one navy parapack and one linen cordura. I keep them both lightly packed as well. I've noticed that the strap will stay tightened only if you don't lift the bag using the front flap while the bag is closed. If you do, the strap will loosen immediately. I understand what you mean by the gap, which I appreciate because it gives great access and also it helps the bag adjust easily for taller/shorter loads. Once, in a great pinch, I had to put in my naked MBA11 in there. It fit and closed (I would NOT recommend this on a regular basis). The cafe bags work really well for me because I tend to secure important things using pouches, straps, and o-rings but I also want super easy access to the items (i.e., no zippers, I don't even undo the buckle, I just put my hand in there and grab phone/wallet/keys). I can see why this might take some getting used to. I have used the cafe bags for many years, and I currently use the SCB exclusively while running after a toddler and going up and down playground equipment. Nothing has ever fallen out.

On the floppiness issue, I have found that using a medium Ballistic organizing pouch has been invaluable for adding a bit of structure and functionality to the bag. In these I fit papers folded in half or my Kindle or my iPad mini (with a bit of padding). I also use these horizontally in my Dyneema Co-Pilot to address the floppiness issue in the open back pocket. (I use a paracord pull and the hidden bottom zipper, which locks, to create my own "o-ring" and clip the pouch to that). In the SCB, I secure the pouch directly to the o-ring, no strap. It has worked really well.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  685.8 KB
    Yea, this is the gap... Like was mentioned by Readmore, if I lift the bag by the front flap while it's closed, which is likely to happen just unbuckling it, it loosens. Anyone have any ideas about keeping it tight?

Also, thanks for the tips about structure. I've got a Cordura OP in there, but maybe the ballistic would have been better.

I just noticed the gap this morning with my full dyneema SCB. The gap is less noticeable with my cordura MCB.

For me the gap - present on my SCB and MCB - is useful when I overstuff the bags with shopping and scarves and sweaters. Gives it some leeway.

But I agree it is not entirely expected to be there. I assume it is part of the intended design.

I have never seen that in my SCB or LCB but, I realized that they are always supported by something when I open them.

The only time I would open them on the go, would be to stuff glove and scarves, in winter. Gravity loosens up the opening to permit that, very clever!
    Last edited by backpack; 05-27-2014 at 01:00 PM.

Can't keep the front flap strap tightened on my SCB

Let me get this straight- is your problem that the flap keeps coming loose because the male end of the buckle won't stay in place after you've tightened it? If this is correct, I solved the same problem on my Courierware bag either by 1) tying down the strap securing the male end of the buckle with a black rubber band or 2) knotting the strap so that the male end stays in place. Neither are very aesthetic solutions, but you won't be looking at your bag all the time :S

Here is a picture of solution 2 Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 154
Size:  106.6 KB
    Last edited by adalangdon; 05-27-2014 at 10:20 PM.
    ISO: Old TB stuff! But especially Turquoise/Cayenne MCB, Pine MCB, Kiwi, Ultrasuede LSes, Pink Swift, Ego seat belt buckle strips, anything in Sage, Hemp, Crimson ballistic & Indigo ballistic

I just received my MCB yesterday and have the same issue. Not only have I decided that parapack and I will never be bff's, the gap in the top of the bag is sort of annoying. I'm sure I'll get used to it but I wish that the strap on the buckle was more adjustable. If you were able to tighten it, this wouldn't be a problem and still give you the option to overpack.

@Rufus

Concerning the front flap strap not staying tightened - I do not have a Cafe bag but I am somewhat familiar with the webbing strap buckle mechanism (or at least, I think so ... ).

Is it possible that the bottom adapter / buckle is on backwards? Usually, the buckle has a side that will "lock" the webbing in place. Perhaps just take the buckle attached to the bottom of the bag off, flip it and rethread it.
    Alternately, usually the buckle "unlocks" the webbing by lifting the bottom of the buckle up off the webbing. You can prevent this from accidentally occurring (and loosing your strap in the process) by putting one of those velcro ties (like the TB Strapeez - Strapeez - Unruly cables are no match for these handy straps - TOM BIHN) around the webbing just below the buckle - basically keeping the webbing flat on the buckle and harder for you to accidentally lift up the webbing and loosen the strap. Note, you can also find similar velcro ties at Staples or a Home Depot too.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 05-28-2014 at 10:24 PM.
    Zephyr/SA/BB (Black/Black/Steel), S25/TS/WF/A45 (Black/Iberian), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), CP (Black/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Quote Originally Posted by Espresso View Post
    I just noticed the gap this morning with my full dyneema SCB. The gap is less noticeable with my cordura MCB.
    I think cordura is a bit less floppy than either dyneema or parapack. I have olive parapack/UV and nordic/solar SEs and they have a surprising amount of give. I use my nordic/solar SE as my on-the-go necessities kit and it's holding everything I need with lots of space to spare (which is kind of amazing).

Comparing my 1000d cordura outer/pack-cloth inner Courierware Walking Bag with TB bags, I think some measure of floppiness is inevitable with the CB due to a couple of reasons. First, unlike CW bags (which are an excellent, if aesthetically spartan and $$$, alternative), TB uses parapack or dyneema as lining. Both fabrics are way higher quality than the pack-cloth used by CW and other companies, but I think pack-cloth is coarser and stiffer. Second, the CW bags are constructed as pack-cloth bags within cordura bags ("a bag within a bag"), which means there's a lot more internal fabric (and pockets) to prop up the outer shell. Also, I should add that the bottom of CW bags has 3 layers (2 cordura, 1 pack cloth), which makes for a very durable and anti-sag bottom. I don't think the CBs are built in this way?

This is not meant as a (constructive) criticism of the CB-- it would be quite expensive, I think, to construct a bag the way CW does using TB's usual fabrics. However, IMO it would be nice if the fastener issue could be resolved!
    Last edited by adalangdon; 05-28-2014 at 09:46 PM.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0