Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By moriond
  • 2 Post By i_clavdivs
  • 2 Post By moriond
  • 2 Post By i_clavdivs

Thread: Pack that backpack flat, Jack

Pack that backpack flat, Jack

On a recent short trip, I one-bagged with my trusty Aeronaut but because I had a few hikes planned, I tossed a no-brand packable day pack in the pocket and wore that for most of my trip. 5 days later, I was in bits. I wasn't carrying around that much each day (water, snacks, jacket, camera, iPad, etc) but because the day pack was just this form sitting on my lower back for most of the day, it wasn't doing me any favours.

So for my next trip, I want to one-bag it again, but have a much more comfortable backpack with me, as I'll be doing a LOT of hiking. Because I'll be flying on an Aer Lingus "regional" flight where they really clamp down on hand luggage, my choices are limited to what I can squeeze into the bottom of an Aeronaut and still have room for a week's worth of clothes. My Brain Bag would be ideal, but it just doesn't tamp down very well and I don't like the idea of folding or rolling it, even if I could.

I'm therefore in the market I think for a comfortable EDC that packs nice and flat, but can still hold everything I need for a multi-hour hike. I'm thinking an S25 (or 19) or a Smart Alec - I believe the multi-hour part means I should get something with straps and whatnot rather than an PCBP. There's plenty of threads on here about the benefits of one over the other, but I'm wondering if anybody has any insights in to how they squash down in the bottom of an Aeronaut.

I've done this several times myself. An empty Synapse 19 fits very well in an Aeronaut, with room for two small/one large full Aeronaut packing cubes, plus some room left over (I would estimate that you could get one more small packing cube in, but I usually put in a fleece jacket and some OPs).

Why pack the backpack "Nice and flat?" Why not stuff it full of stuff and use it as a makeshift packing cube while inside the Aeronaut then empty it out when you use it as a backpack?
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Also an option. I just like it flat so that I can just use it without having to empty it out first. And sometimes things fit better in the Aeronaut outside of the S19 than inside it.

Volunteer Moderator
    @i_clavdivs Check out the Packing a Synapse into an Aeronaut thread for @PaulT00's picture of a Nordic Synapse 19 at the bottom of a crimson Aeronaut, and also take a look at the Can I pack a Synapse 25 inside an Aeronaut? thread.For the Synapse 25 you'll have to unsnap one of the end dividers to fit the bag inside the main compartment. Likewise for carrying a Smart Alec, which doesn't pack quite as flat, because of the thicker padded base and the heavier Ballistic Nylon material (although this might be easier with the all-Dyneema models) -- but this is still doable.

I think you definitely don't want to try stuffing a Smart Alec to use it as a "packing cube" (in answer to @Frank II's suggestion) if you want to be able to easily pull it out of the Aeronaut. Maybe, you can try this if you unsnap both end sections, but the Smart Alec is 18.5" x 11.75" x 7.75" / 470 x 300 x 200 mm, and that length is difficult to easily fit into the opening of the Aeronaut's main compartment when the bag is full, since the exterior dimensions of the Aeronaut are 22" x 14" x 9" / 555 x 355 x 230 mm, and you'd have to angle a fully loaded SA into an opening that's only about two thirds as long as the bag's length. Again, maybe someone with a Dyneema Smart Alec and an Aeronaut can try this and take pictures.

HTH moriond

Tks for all the replies. Tks so much for those links, moriond.

Since the SA is out of stock for the foreseeable, my choice was already a lot easier. Knowing that the S19 fits in nicely and the S25 fits in but I lose a pocket (to all intents and purposes) pretty much seals the deal for an S19. Looks like it's time to make the credit card sweat again.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by i_clavdivs View Post
    Tks for all the replies. Tks so much for those links, moriond.

Since the SA is out of stock for the foreseeable, my choice was already a lot easier. Knowing that the S19 fits in nicely and the S25 fits in but I lose a pocket (to all intents and purposes) pretty much seals the deal for an S19. Looks like it's time to make the credit card sweat again.
    You don't really lose a whole end pocket with the S25 put in flat, but the available space in it is much smaller. You can probably estimate that by eye if you look at @PaulT00's picture of the S19 in the Aeronaut. I think that in another post, someone (maybe @tpnl?) stated they could fit in the S25 without undoing the snaps.
    Last edited by moriond; 05-26-2014 at 06:22 AM.

I think the S19 is a better fit for a long hike, the less I can fit in, the less I can carry and all that.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0