Like Tree14Likes
  • 1 Post By moriond
  • 5 Post By Hollie
  • 3 Post By Hollie
  • 5 Post By Perseffect

Thread: Nordic/Solar Dyneema or Linen/Navy Cordura for a large cafe bag

Nordic/Solar Dyneema or Linen/Navy Cordura for a large cafe bag

I'm in need of some simple advice please. Nordic/Solar Dyneema or Linen/Navy Cordura for a large cafe bag.

I've got both currently on order as I simply can't decide. Happy to get both and return/sell on the one that I like 2nd best. Thought I would ask for advice though.

Help please!

My thinking so far.

Nordic Dyneema
    + Nice and vibrant (Screams fun)
    + Will be a fabric/colour no longer available soon enough
    + Hard to stain/damage
    - Could be more 'floppy ' & unstructured than cordura?

Linen Cordura
    + Bit more sophisticated/classic style
    + Feel like I would stand out less as a tourist when I travel
    + I like the feel of cordura in this type of bag
    - Might loose its pristine finish and/or discolour quicker

Which would you choose?

Volunteer Moderator
    @Perseffect You should wait to get answers from people who own the Large Cafe Bag in Nordic/Solar, since I have only tried the Medium Cafe Bag, and I personally use an Imago (horizontal orientation Messenger bag) instead of a Large Cafe Bag, but I think that even the 400d Dyneema is considerably more floppy than Cordura in the large size Cafe Bags. This isn't such an issue in the more structued travel bags with 400d Dyneema, and options like the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag in 400d Dyneema are particularly nice.

My personal concern over the Linen Cordura would not be about the finish of the Linen Cordura, but whether I would care for the Navy Parapack lining in a bag of that size. When @kkintea was considering the Linen Small Cafe Bag, I pointed her to the Describe Linen thread. You might want to read through that thread, if you haven't already seen it. I would probably choose Linen Cordura, but I already have a Small Cafe Bag in Nordic/Solar.

HTH.

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 05-23-2014 at 02:37 PM.

Thanks moriond.
    I'll take a proper read through the link you reference. Can you answer a quick query on the lining though. I thought the web page specifications describe external 1000d cordura internal 500d cordura. Is it parapack lining rather than cordura now? Thanks.

I have a steel/steel dyneema LCB and find that the bag is slightly less structured than cordura version. Do not let the dyneema scare you off. How easy it is to clean makes up for less structure. To me, an important thing to remember is how well you can see inside the bag. The LCB can hold a lot of stuff and having a solar lined or other bright colors helps. My steel lining makes it somewhat difficult at times to find items on the bottom.

Volunteer Moderator
    I think they are currently using Navy Parapack for the interior of the Large Cafe Bag in linen, but you can check on this in more detail. Here's the sequence of queries that led @kkintea to get the Small Cafe Bag in Linen/Navy, which uses a Parapack lining, and for which she posted pictures

For background, when they started using Parapack for new bags like the Guide's Pack and Founder's Briefcase they started discontinuing the use of Cordura in the Cafe Bags, as per my post in this Large v. Medium Cafe Bag thread and the What's with the (lack of) color options? thread. This would seem to solve some of the problems of people wanting solid color, light-weight and pet-hair resistent fabrics. The only issue is that Parapack doesn't yet come in very many colors, because it's hard to dye.

So a major change came when they decided to pull back from offering the Synapse in Parapack to go back to Cordura options, and then started introducing more Cordura Colors like Kelly, French Blue, etc. for the Cafe Bags and also started announcing new Synapse colors like Burnt Orange and Cocoa/Wasabi (which was a popular color combination in the Cafe Bags and Imagos, but never previously offered for the Synapse). Take a read through Darcy's post in the What happened to the synapse 25 in parapack? thread.

HTH. moriond

ETA: For pictures of what the Navy Parapack looks like in comparison with Navy in Cordura, Ballistic Nylon, and the Nordic take a look at the Which navy is darker? thread.
    Last edited by moriond; 05-23-2014 at 03:51 PM. Reason: fixed link syntax and added link to Navy colors thread.
    Ilkyway likes this.

Tough one. It a navy parapack paired with linen, but I only have the SCB. I couldn't say what the LCB would be like. I do have other bags in Nordic/Solar....what a nice dilemma!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    * Favorite TB: Steel Little Swift * Latest TB: Nordic/Solar Synapse 25 * 2014 Wishlist: New 400d Color

I can't seem to figure out how to resize the photos (it would seem to me that you can't resize them?), but here's some shots of my LCB (it arrived two days ago!) on my deck and on my favorite chair, in various lightings. It's empty save for a small 5-lb flaxseed pillow, to give it some shape.

I love this bag so much. I still use my nordic/solar SE as my EDC, but then I toss that and whatever else into my LCB whenever I have errands, or longer trips.

Pardon the messy deck and garden stuff all over - I went a little nuts with the container gardening on the deck this year. Hey....maybe we need Dyneema planters....

Name:  LCB nordi:solar.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  737.1 KB
    Name:  LCB nordic:solar greenery.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  733.9 KB
    Name:  LCB nordic:solar interior2.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  595.7 KB
    Name:  LCB nordic:solar pumpkin.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  909.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Seriously, like, so much Nordic Dyneema I don't even know what to do with myself anymore. They will bury me in it. "Where's Mom's urn? WHERE DID YOU GUYS PUT THE SYNAPSE 19 WITH MOM'S ASHES?"

Thanks all, I must admit, I'm not a huge fan of the parapack but I think thats just because I like the other materials so much. As a liner though to the linen cordura it might be a nice smooth finish for moving things in and out of the bag.

Thanks @moriond for all the links, its made interesting reading.
    Thanks @Hollie for the photos. These look exactly how I hope the Nordic will look. Super vibrant. Do you have any concerns at all that its just too vibrant for more formal uses (not business use necessarily) but areas where you might want to blend in more.

Thanks to all for your comments.
    I'm glad I've ordered each one, hope I don't like them so much that I need to keep them both!

Quote Originally Posted by Perseffect View Post
    Do you have any concerns at all that its just too vibrant for more formal uses (not business use necessarily) but areas where you might want to blend in more.
    Hm, don't think it's too vibrant. Nordic in real life is a lot like PMS 282 in this colour chart. It's an intense blue without being a bright one. Still, IMHO, the white dyneema threads have a way of popping out against the blue background that may make it hard for you to be a fly on the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Perseffect View Post
    Thanks @Hollie for the photos. These look exactly how I hope the Nordic will look. Super vibrant. Do you have any concerns at all that its just too vibrant for more formal uses (not business use necessarily) but areas where you might want to blend in more.
    I did worry about that, initially! But I haven't felt like it's been an issue at all. That said, my lifestyle is such that I haven't had to worry about this too much. I currently don't hold down a full-time job outside the home, so I don't have a business image that I need to maintain, although were I to have a job, I just can't imagine this bag not looking nice. They're so well built, they just look slick. Any truly formal outing that I might take, such as a visit to the opera or some serious fine dining, I've taken my Side Effect in Aubergine. Actually, now that I think about it, I recently attended dinners at two very fancy places here in Seattle, and I didn't have time to move anything over, and I brought my Nordic/Solar MLC both times. No one seemed to notice or care. Our fashion climate here in the Pacific Northwest is a bit more forgiving than other areas, or so I've been told.

Is is a very vibrant color, and honestly I'd be more concerned about me wanting to occasionally sub in a "quieter" bag color, than feeling any social pressure to do so. I do have a couple cafe bags in different sizes in Plum, they were the first color I ordered. So I could go back to that, if I felt the need to subdue things a bit. Although it's worth noting that since I've owned any cafe bags in Nordic, I've never once gone back to the Plum. So....who knows? It's hard to imagine eventually not wanting a different color, just because variety is the spice of life, but the Nordic is spicy enough that I haven't looked away from it for a couple of years now! And I keep buying more!
    Seriously, like, so much Nordic Dyneema I don't even know what to do with myself anymore. They will bury me in it. "Where's Mom's urn? WHERE DID YOU GUYS PUT THE SYNAPSE 19 WITH MOM'S ASHES?"

For what it's worth I had a small café bag in parapack, but I think I should've got the Cordura. The parapack is a little bit too floppy for my taste.

I originally ordered an LCB in Linen. I love the color and fabric but the Parapack lining was a deal breaker for me. I just don't like the feel of it. I returned the bag and got it in Olive with Olive Cordura lining. I just wish I could have gotten Linen with a Cordura lining. I have a 2009 SCB Linen/Olive that I love.

I also have a Steel/Wasabi Dyneema MCB. It does feel lighter to me and I suspect it's a bit more water resistant. I find the interior pockets are a bit more floppy than the Cordura version. That's my only complaint. I like the color combination. I find that I prefer the way that Cordura ages. It just has that worn blue jeans feel to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just thought I would do a follow up as both of these Large Cafe Bags have finally arrived (it was an aubergine side effect holding up the order which is also great).

So I was pleased opening the box that first impressions of both were good. Now to be more critical.

Name:  Photo 20-06-2014 19 19 39.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  957.9 KB

The Nordic dyneema is amazing, a great substantial feeling fabric. And with the solar, lots of fun. The solar makes the inside of the bag really easy to see and just shines in the sun. One problem though is that both are bright colours in the sun and the contrast between the two is missing in that environment.

Name:  Photo 20-06-2014 19 20 21.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  1,001.3 KB

The Linen on first impression is quite shiny. Not really like Linen fabric which you mistakenly might expect just from the name. But it is a really rich and subtle colour. The navy para pack got a lot of earlier comments about it as a concern. It was also my concern as I had previously returned a navy parapack side effect.

Name:  Photo 20-06-2014 19 19 54.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  1,002.2 KB

I was so much more impressed than I expected. It goes really well as an internal fabric with the Linen. I also love the way it contrasts although I admit it is dark inside the bag. What is a nice touch is that the inside pocket trim is a light fabric which also goes really nicely with the navy parapack. Nobody will see that but me but I know it's there looking great.

Name:  Photo 20-06-2014 19 20 07.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  740.8 KB

I did also want to highlight that both are not as floppy as a large cafe bag in parapack exterior that I once had my hands on. I would say the 400d Nordic dyneema and the cordura are comparable.

So, I would keep both if I could and use the Linen for everyday and the Nordic for those fun days out in the sun. However living in the UK makes that second scenario less frequent so unfortunately will not likely hold onto the Nordic (how it pains me).

Thanks all for the advice. I'm really glad I bought both to compare directly and therefore absolutely sure that the Linen is the one for me.
    A vote for "Portable Culture"
    Tri-Star ([Black/Steel), Aeronaut (Steel/UV), Pilot (Black Dyneema/Wasabi), Zephyr (Black/Wasabi), Synapse 25 (Black/Iberian), Ristretto 13 (Navy/Solar), Large Cafe Bag (Linen/Navy), Small Cafe Bag (Plum/Wasabi), Side Effect (Navy/Solar) (Black Dyneema/Wasabi)(Aubergine/Wasabi), Travel Trays (UV/Iberian/Nordic/Black), Large Shop Bag (Nordic)

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0