Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Co-pilot for text books?

Co-pilot for text books?

I am starting a class this summer as I am going into the medical field. I have three books. A 1200 page text book and a 650 page workbook plus a 760 page spiral bound book. I am pretty sure they will fit length wise but not sure about the thickness. I wanted a Pilot but its out of stock until Sept. My class is over in Dec.

I also looked at the Zephyr. I just like the set up of the Co-pilot but wondered what you all advise. Thanks!

Oh my, that's over 2,500 pages. I cannot see it all fitting in a Co-Pilot. Adding the bits and bobs that one picks up during the day I just can't see it working for you. I don't have any other bags (Pilot, Zephyr and so on) so I really shouldn't comment on whether or not all your stuff would fit in them. In the backpack family, a Synapse 25 would be a great fit for the books, a jacket, lunch and so on. If, that is, you would consider a backpack.
    Moose
    eWalker likes this.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

@VoodooSan
    maybe you could tell us what are the dimensions of your books?
    Do you like the Nordic Dyneema one available? That would give you a very slight edge over the Ballistic Nylon ones with squeezing stuff in, should the textbooks prove to be a tight fit.

Yes it is a bit much I guess. I think I should look at the Zephyr or the Empire Builder. I think I might even be pushing it with the Pilot not to mention Co-Pilot.

I am/was in a similar situation (carrying super-thick books back and forth) and opted for a combination of the Smart Alec for backpack and the Zephyr for hand-carry. Neither has arrived in the mail yet, but I did some calculations and found that they were the only ones that fit the bill based on the dimensions of the books I have and past experience.

Another thing to consider is your height/build. The Empire Builder seems suited to taller people-- I would have gotten the EB instead of the Zephyr if I wasn't a shrimpy 110lb and 5'3". You may find this post on EB v Zephyr useful...
    Last edited by adalangdon; 05-21-2014 at 04:33 AM.

I think the Zephyr would work for my needs. Hmmmm just not sure. I want a co-pilot. I guess I could carry my books in my hands haha. But seriously I think the Zephyr would fit the bill. Just wont know until I order one and get it I guess.
    eWalker likes this.

Well, the main compartment of the Co-Pilot has a depth of 2.75 inches, you could put 1 or 2 of your books in that compartment if you have your heart set on the Co-Pilot, I guess.

Yeah I do but after really looking into this I think I would need the Zephyr. I wont be carrying a laptop so that should hold the three books I will have. Might just have to buy the co-pilot later.

VoodooSan--that's the spirit! Both is always the answer!

Thinking back to medical school...I think the co-pilot would make a great ward / on-call bag, but not a study / text-book bag. Harrison's (an old standard text) is probably thicker than the whole co-pilot.

But as everyone else is hinting at: both bags is a good answer around here.

Just a thought... do you really need to haul the dead-tree books? A lot of schools have electronic access to a wide range of standard texts (and it is okay to use something other than the recommended text - within the same subject area, they're not that different from each other) through their libraries. In my experience, once you get your student ID set up, you can access the relevant chapter online, or even download them, which saves A TON of money on books, not to mention the weight.

@VoodooSan

I have a Zephyr and I think it would work for you well. What I like about the Zephyr is that it is actually pretty compact and, compared to the Pilot, only about 1 inch larger in all dimensions (1.3 inches longer, 0.8 inches taller and 1.2 inches deeper).
    The other thing I like about the Zephyr is that I can put papers / books vertically - ie vertical orientation. This given even more room for things. I can easily fit 2 packages of copy paper (8.5 x 11, 500 sheets each) in the bag vertically - 11 tall by 8.5 wide - and still have 6-7" in the side for more books of the same thickness. Even with that, there is still more room to add things in the main compartment. This does not even include the front pocket that can hold another thick book.

The Zephyr is the most compact Messenger Style briefcase that I can put all my EDC stuff in - big laptop, lunch, breakfast, camera, Vacuum thermos mug, Bose Soundlink Mini Bluetooth speaker, electronics accessories, papers, etc. Also, when not fully loaded, it is only 4-4.5" thick - so same thickness as a Pilot with the option to expand more. Let me know if you want me to test pack something in the Zephyr to confirm fit. If you had your book dimensions, that would help.

The Empire Builder would work, but would be big. The Pilot might work but I think it would be very tight. Another possible option - the Ego? I am not sure about the ID - like the Ego, not as formal looking and you need to lift the flap to access your books.

Hope this Helps

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 05-21-2014 at 05:35 PM.
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot/Cadet (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Quote Originally Posted by terayon View Post
    Just a thought... do you really need to haul the dead-tree books? A lot of schools have electronic access to a wide range of standard texts (and it is okay to use something other than the recommended text - within the same subject area, they're not that different from each other) through their libraries. In my experience, once you get your student ID set up, you can access the relevant chapter online, or even download them, which saves A TON of money on books, not to mention the weight.
    No we are required to have specific text books. This is for dental and they were very specific what we had to have. But that would be nice yes.

Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    @VoodooSan

I have a Zephyr and I think it would work for you well. What I like about the Zephyr is that it is actually pretty compact and, compared to the Pilot, only about 1 inch larger in all dimensions (1.3 inches longer, 0.8 inches taller and 1.2 inches deeper).
    The other thing I like about the Zephyr is that I can put papers / books vertically - ie vertical orientation. This given even more room for things. I can easily fit 2 packages of copy paper (8.5 x 11, 500 sheets each) in the bag vertically - 11 tall by 8.5 wide - and still have 6-7" in the side for more books of the same thickness. Even with that, there is still more room to add things in the main compartment. This does not even include the front pocket that can hold another thick book.

The Zephyr is the most compact Messenger Style briefcase that I can put all my EDC stuff in - big laptop, lunch, breakfast, camera, Vacuum thermos mug, Bose Soundlink Mini Bluetooth speaker, electronics accessories, papers, etc. Also, when not fully loaded, it is only 4-4.5" thick - so same thickness as a Pilot with the option to expand more. Let me know if you want me to test pack something in the Zephyr to confirm fit. If you had your book dimensions, that would help.

The Empire Builder would work, but would be big. The Pilot might work but I think it would be very tight. Another possible option - the Ego? I am not sure about the ID - like the Ego, not as formal looking and you need to lift the flap to access your books.

Hope this Helps

Cheers!
    Thank you for the details. I appreciate that a lot. The smart move is to get the Zephyr I think. But I want that co-pilot so bad! I will probably try and utilize the Zephyr for school and use the co-pilot as an EDC for no school related stuff.

I ordered a Co-Pilot. I dont want to be going "I wish I had ordered it" later. If it doesnt carry my books then I will just get a different bag dedicated for school work. I like the set up and organization of the CP over the Zephyr. I know I will use the Co-pilot everyday. I ordered it in black/steel. I checked before via email to make sure it was ready to ship and I got a response in about 15-20 min. The customer service alone made me just order it on the spot.

I also ordered a clear organizer wallet, the Absolute strap, Mini padded organizer pouch, Lifefactory 16 oz bottle, zipper pulls, and a couple of handle loops.
    scribe and eWalker like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0