Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree177Likes

Thread: "purse issues" and questions from a fashion failure

Amy
    As long as we're on the subject of fashions we dislike, I cannot STAND the Mary Jane. It can look cute on some people, but I have a visceral hate of the way that round toe and strap looks on my own big size 10 feet. Ugh. I feel like a middle-aged woman trying freakishly to pass myself off as a baby doll-- very "What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?"

I also can't stand sports sandals, although I once owned a pair of Birkenstocks. I hate the mannish look on my feet, which are already huge to begin with.

Same with collared button-down shirts, no matter how form-fitting, or crew-neck shirts of any kind. Feels so unflattering.

I will never be able to wear "skinny jeans." Ever. Did that pencil-legged thing with oversized shirts in the 80s and it's OVER.

And although I totally appreciate the usefulness of a waist pack, and I love my spibelt for running, I can't STAND the bulgy look of a waist belt around your middle. Doesn't matter what it's made of or what shape it is, or what logo is on it. It's the wrong location and there is never a context in which it looks good to me.

Gosh, for someone who isn't interested in fashion, I guess I have some pretty adamant opinions.

If you want to look a little more stylish, I think the Cafe Bag would fit the bill. It wouldn't really count as a purse by Texas standards I'm guessing (a little bling is probably required for that). But really, if you like the Side Effect, than who cares what everyone else thinks. Or maybe move to Portland or Seattle where no one cares if you have a "real purse." :-)

Maybe one of the reasons I like MJs is that I have small feet - I'm a UK size 4. which I think is a US 6.5.

But yeah, I can imagine that on larger feet they look more like the "herring boxes without topses"

ETA: not that I'm in a position to advise anyone on fashion - I have a Lego Darth Vader flashlight keyring hanging from a zipper pull of my S19...
    Last edited by scribe; 05-23-2014 at 11:50 AM.
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

I had to look up these Mary Jane and it took my some time to get, that you are talking about shoes.

I looked up the bags you mentioned Amy. It is the second bag you mention that is much more playfull und "girly" than any TB-Bag on its own is. (So I have seen some very nicely dressed up TB-Bags on this Forum). With the Side Effect you get more classy than girly. And you get a system. This Bag can be a bag on its own, a bag in a bag for more organization and security, a clutch or even a fanny-bag (if ever needed even so not liked by you). I have one as a pencilcase, one for my entertaining electronics and the aubergine for a purse. The two kinds of purses you linked are very "seasonal" they require more "composing" with the rest of the wardrobe. The more print you have in your accessories the harder it is to combine and the faster it gets out of date. The Side Effect is kind of timeless.

Ilkyway

You guys make me want to order a purple side effect

I personally love dyneema, I have a S25 in dyneema and my aeronauts are dyneema. I don't know if I'd carry a dyneema side effect as a purse like thing though.

I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts here. I had a Maruca bag before I found TB... the City Girl. I loved it, but found it to be just a tad too small. Now I always use a Little Swift as my purse, but lately have been trying to re-orient my self to using a Steel/Wasabi SE inside of it. The other day, I was going to attend one of my kids' school's Open House, and my Azalea LS seemed a bit "loud" for what I was wearing. So I whipped out the SE, and was on my way with just the essentials packed inside (keys, wallet, iPhone, pen, reading glasses)

Name:  IMG_4222.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  80.4 KB

I wore it cross body, and it was comfortable, unobtrusive, and I think it even did kind of match my outfit (and my hair!). I felt just fine even making my way amongst the other Coach/Michael Kors/Kate Spade carrying moms.
    Satisfied owner of: Azalea Swift & LS, Blk/Plum Swift, Cork LS, Blk/UV LS, Synapse 19 & Co-Pilot, Steel/UV Pilot, Fst/Stl Tri-Star, Fst/Blk/UV SA, UV PCSB, Plum SE, FJN, & SCB, Aubergine WF, LS & Kit, Trvl Trays, Passport Pouches, and Shop Bags in all colors , Multiplying OPs

Gochicken, you would make any TB bag look nice! But I love the sleek and sophisticated look you achieved here. No wonder you felt at ease. You were very well put together!

Edited for iPad typos
    Last edited by dorayme; 05-27-2014 at 02:28 PM.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, C-P, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, SE2, MCB, RiPad, SB, LSB

Quote Originally Posted by Leena View Post
    You guys make me want to order a purple side effect

I personally love dyneema, I have a S25 in dyneema and my aeronauts are dyneema. I don't know if I'd carry a dyneema side effect as a purse like thing though.
    I know what you mean. I am a dyneema woman myself, but I've tried out an aubergine SE and, for me, it's just the ticket when I do a minimal daily carry.

It works very well with my wardrobe regardless of season. Here my SE is on hand as I get ready to plant flower pots for my deck.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dorayme View Post
    Gochicken, you would make any TB bag look nice! But I love the sleek and sophisticated look you achieved here. No wonder you felt at ease. You were very well put together!
    Very elegant color combination. But I bet @gochicken's Aubergine Side Effect would also have looked nice.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    I know what you mean. I am a dyneema woman myself, but I've tried out an aubergine SE and, for me, it's just the ticket when I do a minimal daily carry.

It works very well with my wardrobe regardless of season. Here my SE is on hand as I get ready to plant flower pots for my deck.
    I have both Dyneema and Ballistic Nylon SEs. @monkeylady I see that is one of the Aubergine/Ultraviolet side effects.

moriond

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    I have both Dyneema and Ballistic Nylon SEs. @monkeylady I see that is one of the Aubergine/Ultraviolet side effects.
    moriond
    Yes, my Aubergine SE does indeed have a UV lining. I have a black ballistic/wasabi SE and a steel dyneema/wasabi SE (for hanging inside the top of my Steel Dyneema/wasabi S25. I love the wasabi color. It is uplifting and light without being in your face. Unfortunately, I've liked it so much that I have been perseverating. Almost everything I own is either wasabi or lined with wasabi. It was time to branch out! I am also the gratified owner of a SCB in linen/navy. Man, is it ever smart looking! I am making progress, I think.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Amy
    @gochicken - that side effect looks great with your outfit-- unobtrusive and simple, and not gear-baggish. Nobody would bat an eye. I do agree that there's probably not much that wouldn't look good on you though-- oh, to be that slim!

I've been carrying my new Maruca cross-body purse for a few days now, and I like it a lot, but I think that I'll also find the side effect a great purse too, and in some ways more versatile.

(I ended up spending too much time on the forums reading bag reviews this past week, and then getting bitten with TB desire again, and ordering a black/iberian Synapse 19, which will get here on Wednesday. My goal is to size myself down so that I'm hauling only 1 laptop instead of 2, so I plan to use this Synapse to haul my ultralight 13" laptop and associated work paraphernalia. I'm hoping it's as deceptively spacious as they say, and if so, I'll attempt to use it as my only bag for an upcoming 3-day trip to Phoenix. I hope that Side Effect will fit in the bottom pocket of the 19" Synapse.)

Thanks for your kind comments, Amy. I think you will love your Synapse 19. I have an old Black/UV one which I love. And yes, the SE fits beautifully into the bottom pocket.
    Satisfied owner of: Azalea Swift & LS, Blk/Plum Swift, Cork LS, Blk/UV LS, Synapse 19 & Co-Pilot, Steel/UV Pilot, Fst/Stl Tri-Star, Fst/Blk/UV SA, UV PCSB, Plum SE, FJN, & SCB, Aubergine WF, LS & Kit, Trvl Trays, Passport Pouches, and Shop Bags in all colors , Multiplying OPs

Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    My goal is to size myself down so that I'm hauling only 1 laptop instead of 2, so I plan to use this Synapse to haul my ultralight 13" laptop and associated work paraphernalia. I'm hoping it's as deceptively spacious as they say, and if so, I'll attempt to use it as my only bag for an upcoming 3-day trip to Phoenix. I hope that Side Effect will fit in the bottom pocket of the 19" Synapse.)
    The S19 is great for carrying a small laptop - I have the 13" MBA cache in mine, though at the moment I'm using it for my 11" Chromebook (which is too big for my 11" MBA cache). Alongside that I can get a lock'n'lock lunchbox, ereader and knitting project into the main compartment very easily, and in damp weather I also pack a showerproof jacket in a (non-TB) mesh cube. Filling the external pockets does impinge upon the interior space, though.

TBH you might find it a bit small on the small side for a 3-day trip if you're taking a laptop as well - without a laptop, though, it should be a cinch!
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Amy
    As a post note to this thread: I received my aubergine Side Effect last Thursday and took it on a trip with me as my only purse. It is actually stylish in an unobtrusive no-nonsense kind of way, and I didn't feel like it was mannish or gear-baggish at all. The color seemed to go well with everything I wore. My Galaxy Note 2 fits in the outer zippered pocket without a problem, and the main compartment held my boarding pass, wallet, headphones, keys, tissues, lip balm, first aid stuff, etc. without feeling overstuffed. I also used it as my catch-all for the plane, hooking it onto the seat pocket with double carabiner clips. That worked out great too. I totally love this bag!

It doesn't really fit easily in the bottom pocket of the Synapse 19 when the bag is full, so I just wore it cross-body, which makes more sense anyway since everything's more accessible.

Amy that is so great. I thought you might like the SE but reading that you realy do and that it served you well in different ways in that short time makes me happy for you. Often such threats end without a "follow up" and I always like to read how thinks have worked out.
    And since you are talking about one of my favorites in shape and color I am glad to read that it is what you hoped for.

Ilkyway
    monkeylady and Amy like this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0