Question Does the 3-D Clear Organizer Cube Stay Clear?

I'm looking at the 3-D Clear Organizer Cube as a 3-1-1 bag. I bought a cheaper, well constructed REI bag, but after one or two trips the plastic turned opaque. The plastic used in the cube is listed as "urethane". The plastic in the REI bag is listed as "thermoplastic urethane". Is that different? Has anyone had any issue with the plastic on the cube turning opaque?

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
    I'm looking at the 3-D Clear Organizer Cube as a 3-1-1 bag. I bought a cheaper, well constructed REI bag, but after one or two trips the plastic turned opaque. The plastic used in the cube is listed as "urethane". The plastic in the REI bag is listed as "thermoplastic urethane". Is that different? Has anyone had any issue with the plastic on the cube turning opaque?
    I've been using the 3-D Clear Organizer cubes since they were introduced five years ago in 2009, and they've stayed clear for me. Of course, I've been using these through about three different changes in the urethane material (see my post in the Question about the urethane used thread -- I'm afraid that some of the illustrating pictures in the linked posts there no longer work after the web page redesign of a few years ago -- I'd have to individually find the original pages and links from the Internet Archive and download the individual images that still have good links in order to partially resurrect the content). However, references to the "slightly cloudy" urethane in that thread didn't mean that the urethane turned opaque: that was just a version where some people complained about difficulties seeing the fine details on identification badges and cards through the clear organizer wallet window. None of these varieties of urethane turned cloudy, in my experience, although I haven't tried leaving them out in UV sunlight, etc. for long periods of time. And assuming that I wasn't trying to read the fine print on identification cards through the urethane as a primary requirement, I still prefer the "slightly cloudy" but totally non-sticky version of urethane that was used at the end of 2010 and early 2011.

None of my more recent 3-D Clear Organizer Cubes have turned cloudy. Unless there is something abrasive or chemically reactive in what is being carried (or leaked), I wouldn't expect any changes in clarity of the urethane.

HTH moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 05-17-2014 at 09:06 AM.

My 3D clear org cube ordered in fall 2012 is as clear as when I got it. My Yarn Stuff Sack from early 2008, which has the same urethane on the bottom and has been heavily used (as in, has contained one knitting project or another for >50% of the six years I've owned it) is somewhat scratched up but still nothing close to opaque. There was a brief era (maybe 2009ish?) where TB used a cloudier sort of urethane, which was less clingy than the crystal-clear kind, but that really couldn't be described as opaque either and it has also aged just fine.

I believe that urethane is kind of like ballistic nylon - there are lots of different subtypes and manufacturers of the stuff, and characteristics (including quality and price) can vary a lot.

Mine has not become cloudy over time. They can get dirty just like anything else but a quick wipe has always been enough to clean off a smudge of any kind. Like terayon said, they can get scratched but I don't see it as dramatic, just normal wear and tear. Also adds character. Mine has remained remarkably flexible. That was my big concern, would it crack after being folded, bent and mutilated. Note, do note spindle.
    Moose
    Last edited by Moose; 05-17-2014 at 01:03 PM.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

My organizer cubes have not either, although my wallet does show some clouded wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wallet is cloudy, too, but I think I just need to wash it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Iíve used one for about a year and even spilled the occasional grooming product and it seems fine.
    Last edited by BarryLee; 05-18-2014 at 06:33 AM.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0