Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Smart Alec interior dimensions for a camera insert?

Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    Quick update, and thanks again to everyone for their help with finding the right insert for the SA! My SA is not here yet, but the camera wrap has arrived. This is a 19 x 19" Domke camera wrap (B&H has it in blue, red, yellow, gray, and black for color-coding) and it holds my Nikon D80 with attached 28-105 zoom. (there is a toy inside the wrap, as it was hard to take a picture if the camera was inside the wrap ) With the wrap in place, the whole camera fits into a small YSS:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124667...7/14037046787/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124667...n/photostream/

(I still haven't figured out how to paste an image into my post - is there a guide for that? )

The small YSS is a snug though not unduly tight fit - I will wait to see how the Tall YSS works, though it's not going to be any wider. But it just means that I won't put the camera in the YSS if I need quick access... the wrap still works without the YSS.

I have ordered a smaller wrap (11 x 11") for the 50mm lens, as the 15 x 15" I ordered was just too big. I'll add that to my post when it gets here. That will then go into its own small YSS. (It would fit into the same YSS, but I don't want to absentmindedly pull out the camera and have the extra lens then fall out because I forgot it was in there. )
    Great pictures! I am using the medium YSS for a Canon EOS-M, extra lens, and flash. The medium YSS camera setup fits perfectly into the SCB.
    haraya likes this.

thank you kindly! I take it you use the SCB exclusively for the camera? Or can you fit more things into the SCB besides the Canon? (I've been eyeing the SCB for some future order down the road. ) I was thinking that the wrap would be a good way to carry around my camera in my EDC backpack, even when I'm not traveling.

Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    thank you kindly! I take it you use the SCB exclusively for the camera? Or can you fit more things into the SCB besides the Canon? (I've been eyeing the SCB for some future order down the road. ) I was thinking that the wrap would be a good way to carry around my camera in my EDC backpack, even when I'm not traveling.
    Yes, the linen SCB is my go-to MFT bag. I just had it out at an orchid festival this weekend and also fit a pair of sunglasses in a size 1 TSS and a drink sleeve (fits a medium Dunkin iced beverage and prevents the cup from sweating). My TB wallet was in the front pocket, and DOP was in the back pocket. Also, my keys were in the main compartment with a bit of room to spare. When I need the camera's accessories, a mesh cube fits on top of the medium YSS perfectly in the SCB.

I previously tried a MCB, but it swallowed this setup. In fairness, the MCB fit a side effect in addition to the medium YSS, so it's all relative based on what you need to carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    haraya and Ilkyway like this.
    Favorite: Steel/Steel LS * Latest: Nordic/Solar S25 * Wishlist: New 400d Color

Thank you haraya for the follow up. You made me rethink my camera-carrying options. I nearly never took my D80 with me because the insert you can see above takes up so much room. But I have a kind of camera-wrap from crumpler (in an ugly color though) that protects it well enaough to put in (with a 50 1.4 attached) in my SA. And the idea with the yss as an extra "hold together" is great. Even though this means to leaf a lot of nice glas at home it also means to have something very nice at hand to capture the moment.

So Thanks back at you!
    Ilkyway
    haraya likes this.

@haraya, I will have to try that wrap! Thanks!
    haraya likes this.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

I have a Banana Hammock M from crumpler (I just took it out too look this up). Here is my question: it is from neopren and smells a bit chemical. haraya can you say something about this wrap regarding any odors?
    haraya likes this.

The Domke does not smell as far as I can tell. Caveat: I have a cold this week, so my sense of smell is not too sharp. With that said: in the same order, I had requested a Fujifilm Camera Blanket - same idea, but slightly smaller - 15 x 15". I am returning the Fujifilm wrap because it smelled very chemical-y (and because it was too big for the 50mm lens). I will let you know if the small, red Domke has any smell issues!

(also, the Domke seemed like it was made of nylon, mainly, whereas the Fuji felt like it had some neoprene. I'm not too worried about the amount of padding - to my mind, this is just to keep other things in the bag from scratching the lens. I'm relying on the SA's back and bottom padding to cushion any real blows.

- also another caveat, when I am going about my daily life I often carry my D80 in a backpack without a wrap. I have a UV filter over the lens to avoid scratches, and I put the camera on top of anything else in the bag, then try to avoid banging into hard things. But when I am traveling/in transit, since I have many things to keep track of (children/multiple bags/flight announcements etc.), I need slightly more protection for the camera, as I will be distracted. )

Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    I have a Banana Hammock M from crumpler (I just took it out too look this up). Here is my question: it is from neopren and smells a bit chemical. haraya can you say something about this wrap regarding any odors?
    ETA: My kids use Built NY-brand neoprene lunch bags. They don't have that chemical smell. Built also makes a few camera bags, though I haven't seen them firsthand. If you are looking for that slight extra resilience of neoprene, that might be something to check out.
    Last edited by haraya; 05-19-2014 at 07:36 PM.
    Ilkyway likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0