Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Dyneema vs Cordura -- outdoor use

Dyneema vs Cordura -- outdoor use

Hi all,

Did some searching, couldn't quite find the answer I was looking for. I ordered a Synapse in dyneema, but am now having second thoughts about the material. I plan on using the bag for lots of outdoor activities, snowshoeing, hiking, xc skiing, which means plenty of time for the bag to be sitting on rocks, tree stumps, snow, and toss in the back of the car with the other gear. Also plan on using it for my personal item for our annual trip to the caribbean, which means plenty of sand and surf for the bag.

I like the look of the dyneema, and the lighter weight, but I am wondering if others have used this material for lots of outdoor activities? Would I be better off with the cordura?

Also, I found a lot of posts where people talked about how the bag looked, keeping it professional, clean, etc...that's a bonus, but not my main concern.

Thanks in advance!

I think you will be fine. Had you mentioned rock climbing or a habit of off trail woods adventures including crawling through brier and rhododendron thickets then the slightly less abrasion resistance may be an issue, but for regular stuff, go for it.

Did a lot of rock climbing in my younger days....couldn't remember how to tie into a harness now if you paid me.

Thanks for confirming...appreciate it.

I agree with trailmix with a caveat - be more careful to not drag the bag anywhere See this link below:

Introducing 400d DyneemaŽ/nylon - TOM BIHN Blog: We make travel bags in Seattle, Washington

Below is an excerpt from the above link commenting on what you are asking:

"It must be noted that while our new 400d DyneemaŽ/420d nylon ripstop is a very durable fabric, there is a compromise in choosing it over 1050 ballistic or CorduraŽ nylon: your bag will be lighter, but it won’t stand up to the all-out abuse these heavier fabrics can handle. You will need to exercise care and not drag or otherwise mistreat a bag made from 400d DyneemaŽ/420d nylon ripstop. It’s a compromise many will feel worthwhile, but it’s a compromise to consider"

From a design purpose standpoint, the 400D Dyneema is used to improve 2 issues - weight and ease of sliding into compartments such as airplane overhead bins - but with a corresponding trade-off of less abrasion resistance. Additionally, compared to Cordura, Dyneema handles the Pet Hair issue perfectly.

So, IMHO opinion, the question to answer is whether the benefits outweigh the trade-off given your personal use characteristics. Questions to think about could be - do you fall a lot while skiing? are you clumsy (I am)? Are you ok to "watch' the bag wrt not putting it on rough surfaces?

For me, Cordura is the way to go due to my clumsiness (tendency to bang against things - yes I have bonked my head on a pole once !) and I am ok with the pet hair - just hang my bag up and so not let it sit on the ground collecting pet hair.

Also of note is that Cordura is very good at "hiding" scuffs and abrasion IMHO. With Dyneema and its obvious pattern, I would think it would show abrasion more (unconfirmed).

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Zephyr/SA/BB (Black/Black/Steel), S25/TS/WF/A45 (Black/Iberian), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), CP (Black/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    You do lots of fun stuff! trailmix and tpnl are right on in my experience. I'm still using one of the first first original Synapse 19s in 200d Dyneema/nylon -- it's been on countless hikes. After a 10 mile hike in 90 degree heat and getting to some good elevation, the last thing I'm thinking about is babying my pack, so I usually just take it off and toss it on the ground. Never been an issue. It's been xc skiing and snowshoeing, it's been hailed and poured on in summer mountain thunderstorms, then blasted with sun. Dogs sit on it in the back of the car and jump on it when they're excited to see we're at a trailhead. And it's still holding up mighty fine. It does look used -- it's a bit dirty and I don't wash it much, so it has a faded, broken-in look to it -- but I don't mind that, especially for outdoor gear.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

as far as the dragging warning, i think they are referring to doing something like dragging a loaded duffel on concrete. 1000d cordura won't take that for long either. sil-nylon you have to be super cautious with, but 400d dyneema will take more abuse you can.

I have a Cordura Synapse 19 and a Dyneema Synapse 25. The Dyneema S25 has been my one bag on trips to Maine, where it liked to hang out on rocks, and to Venice, where it got crammed on many airplanes and vaporettos. I say you can't go wrong with either one.
    Hollie likes this.

<< your bag will be lighter, but it won’t stand up to the all-out abuse these heavier fabrics can handle. You will need to exercise care and not drag or otherwise mistreat a bag made from 400d DyneemaŽ/420d nylon ripstop. >>

This is exactly the line that got me thinking twice.

And yes, I fall a lot when I ski. But I do it with s t y l e......

:-)

Lots to think about, thanks.

<< You do lots of fun stuff! >>

Less so since the baby came, but we got out snowshoeing a couple of times this year during her first winter, so I'm happy for that!

Thank you for the info. I guess I'm leaning Dyneema now again...

Thanks much, Rocks, for the insight. Looking forward to getting back to Maine. Might not do the Beehive again, though. :-)

You could always get another one in Cordura for the more extreme outdoor adventures. And use the lighter dyneema one for the less extreme.
    You can never have enough Tom Bihn bags. ;-)

Don't think I haven't considered it...
    :-)
    vivelly likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
    as far as the dragging warning, i think they are referring to doing something like dragging a loaded duffel on concrete. 1000d cordura won't take that for long either. sil-nylon you have to be super cautious with, but 400d dyneema will take more abuse you can.
    Slightly off topic:
    TOM BIHN Materials Testing - YouTube

cool video.

Settled on the dyneema.

I think... :-)

Another quick question, for anyone still reading...will a 1 liter Camelbak Eddy bottle fit in the S19?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0