Choosing a Cache for Synapse 25 and Tri-Star

Hi - I'm looking at jumping headfirst into the TB world with both a Synapse 25 and a Tri-Star.

My question is on choosing a Cache for my 11" Macbook Air. I see there are both horizontal and vertical styles.
    I would ideally just get one cache that would fit in either bag. I suspect that the vertical would fit best in the synapse, but I'm less clear on whether the vertical would also be compatible with the Tri-Star...the pictures on the Tri-Star page seem to only show the Horizontal model.

Assuming that the vertical WILL fit in the Tri-Star, I also am a little unclear on how the rails are configured. Would the vertical cache sit in the middle of the middle compartment, or is it possible to have the rails "cheated" over to one side or the other of that middle compartment?

Hope this makes sense!
    Thanks!

Volunteer Moderator
    @Ski_Brian, Welcome to the forums. The Cache-with-Rails system works between bags of the same orientation: so any backpacks that use a cache-with-rails to vertically suspend a laptop in a cache can exchange caches with rails (e.g., Synapse 19, Synapse 25, Smart Alec, Brain Bag). Similarly, horizontally oriented bags using the Cache-with-Rails can exchange caches (e.g. Tri-Star, Cadet, Pilot, ID Bag, and possibly bags such as the Ego and SuperEgo judging from the product page descriptions).

See my response to Jeff A's question in the thread: Which Travel Bag for my Cache with Rails? He asked:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff A View Post
    I'm looking at different Tom Bihn travel bag options (Western Flyer, Aeronaut and Tri-Star). I have a Synapse 25 and a Cache with Rails for my 15" MacBook Pro Retina. Do any of the TB travel bags support my cache so I can clip it into the bag? Thanks!
    I'll edit my reply, since we've since learned in this thread that there are no plans to outfit the Western Flyer with the Cache with Rails. The Pilot is another bag using the Horizontal Cache with Rails that was released after Jeff A asked his question.
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    I think that (of the bags you list) only the Tri-Star has provisions for clipping in a Cache or Horizontal Brain Cell. The Tri-Star production is already geared up to support a cache with rails (see the product description and note that you can order a cache with rails with this bag in the drop down menu options). However, if you use the rails system for the cache with these bags, I think you'll need to get a cache with rails in the horizontal orientation. Your cache with rails for the Synapse 25 goes into the bag vertically, so when you pull it out using the rails to secure the cache to the laptop, the rails have to be vertically oriented. In the Tri-Star you insert the laptop horizontally, so you need to use a horizontal cache with rails or Brain Cell if you want to secure it via the Brain Cell or rail clips. However, you can carry your laptop in a cache just fine in the center compartment of the Tri-Star (not secured using the rails system).

If you want to use the cache with rails system with the Tri-Star, you'll have to buy a horizontal cache with rails. But the rails system should then work with any of the horizontally oriented bags using the rails system (e.g., Tri-Star, Cadet, ID bag so far all look like they have this feature.)

moriond
    Quote Originally Posted by Ski_Brian View Post
    Assuming that the vertical WILL fit in the Tri-Star, I also am a little unclear on how the rails are configured. Would the vertical cache sit in the middle of the middle compartment, or is it possible to have the rails "cheated" over to one side or the other of that middle compartment?
    You can use any Cache designed to work with a Cache-with-Rails system as simply a Cache, that you insert into a bag (without using a rails suspension system). If you use a Cache-with-Rails, then the Rails always center the cache in the center of the compartment -- that specifically means that a small laptop, like an 11" MacBook Air, suspended with a Horizontal Cache-with-Rails, will sit in the middle of the central compartment of the Tri-Star. So one option would be to buy a vertical Cache-with-Rails for your 11" MacBook Air to use in the Synapse 25, and then simply unclip the cache from the rail loops of the Synapse 25, and insert your laptop with the Cache into the center section of the Tri-Star. You can then position it anywhere you want. You could try this out before deciding whether you wanted to invest in a Horizontal Cache-with-Rails for the 11" MacBook Air.

For a video demonstrating how the (vertical) Cache-with-Rails works in the Synapse 25, look at this blog post that explains the Rails system.

I don't think there are any videos demonstrating the horizontal cache-with-rails, but you can look at the pictures in @Tizi's My Pilot review. The second picture in the third post of photographs of the Pilot shows the Surface Pro 2 tablet in a (horizontal) Cache-with-Rails that is extended from the bag. I think that is the Cache for the 11" MacBook Air being used in the Pilot, but I'm not sure of this.

The Pilot itself is smaller than the length of the central Tri-Star compartment. Here's a picture of a 400d Nordic Dyneema Pilot inside the center compartment of a Tri-Star. You can see that centering the cache for the 11" MacBook Air in the middle Tri-Star compartment might not optimally use the room.

This picture is from post #413 dated 2-10-2014 in the long thread: The New Pilot Available for Pre-order in January 2014!

HTH. moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 05-11-2014 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Fixed typos

This is just what I needed to know....Thanks!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0