Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Two Bag trave with backpacks onley?

Two Bag trave with backpacks onley?

I have read a lot about combinations as Smart Alec and Co Pilot or Aeronaut and Café Bags and so forth in short a backpack stile combined with a cross body style.
    The conveniences are totally clear. But I cannot and want not wear any cross body bag bigger than a Side Effect for longer periods.

So I was thinking about two Backpacks and not looking like a double Tortoise.
    I think the solution might be a backpack that can at times double as a cross body bag? So each bag can worn on the bag when alone carried but if needs be the bigger one goes on the bag and the other one disguises itself as a messenger bag.

Does this sound totally stupid? Has anybody an idea how to accomplish this? Preferably with as Smart Alec and a Synapse 19.
    I would like to hear your thoughts on this.

Ilkyway

Alas, I can't think of any small TB bags that work as both backpack and cross-body. If there was some way to convert a café bag to a backpack, that might do it - but they aren't really secure enough to wear on your back. You'd really want something like a Pilot or Co-Pilot with backpack straps in the back pocket, like a miniature WF
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

BBP bags are exactly the sort of hybrid messenger/backpack bags you are looking for. As far as I know, they're really well made, but I've just always thought they look dorky. Perhaps for a TB solution you could wear your backpack and then carry a Pilot by hand? Unless you've packed it with bricks, it shouldn't be too hard to just hang on to it.

Badger I have a OneNote section dedicated to curious bags where I collect pictures about interesting bag-ideas that for some reason or the other I do not want to buy. This one I have "in there" but you pointed one of the two reasons out: dorky looks, the other one why I wont buy this is only available in black.

scribe I think this is exactly what I am wishing for. I had thought about the WF for edc but it is too big for that.

Also, those horizontal laptop-backpacks are a pain in tight spaces, because they stick out at the sides. I used to have a cheap one, and I had to give up using it because it was so hard to get down the aisles of buses without bumping it on people, backs of seats, etc.

Have you considered a Healthy Back Bag? They're really well made, and designed to be ergonomic - they hug your body, so they're as comfortable as a backpack even in cross-body mode. I had several, but because of their teardrop shape I found them too small for my old (full-sized) iPad unless they were the very large ones. However I've kept my small black leather ones as they are so handy, and smart too!

They come in lots of pretty colours - not just black!

The Healthy Back Bag
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

scribe thanks for the link. I had not seen this one jet. But to be honest I would prefer my co-pilot with the absolute Shoulder Strap to this one. The weight sits on one shoulder anyway. But this one will definitely go on my OneNote Page.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    But I cannot and want not wear any cross body bag bigger than a Side Effect for longer periods.

Ilkyway
    Is it easy for you to use the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag this way? That bag is larger than the Side Effect, but very light. The other possibility is to suspend a second bag from one of the back packs, if this can be done in a way that doesn't get in the way of a clean carrying solution.

If the second back were not carried on the back all the time, it's possible that using the Quick-Adjust Messenger strap would let you conver the bag to Messenger style carrying, higher up on your back.

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 05-09-2014 at 01:57 PM.

@ moriond I have one of thous PCSBs ordered so I will try this out. Todey I tried packing the S19 in the SA. It works but it makes not really sense.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    @ moriond I have one of thous PCSBs ordered so I will try this out. Todey I tried packing the S19 in the SA. It works but it makes not really sense.
    I guess that the Co-Pilot is not comfortable for you to carry as a second bag on a shoulder strap in cross-body fashion? The Co-Pilot can be stowed inside the Smart Alec, and is a smaller bag to carry as a personal item. I don't use the Co-Pilot as much as other forum members, many of whom use it as an EDC bag in preference to the Synapse, which is the bag I prefer to use.

Thanks for your editorial thoughts. I guess I will try this out too but it is not the ideal. Today I played a bit with the SA and the S19 but they just don't play nice together.

I have used the Tristar and the Synapse 19 for travel.

The Synapse 19 was on my back and I carried the Tristar by the handles inside the airport. Since I was flying internationaly, that was a huge workout.

I usually cannot stand to carry a bag by the handles, this is why I got the backpack strap Tristar and Aeronaut.

Unlike other brands of travel bags, Tom Bihn bags stay flat and weight very little in Dyneema.

I don't know how, but carrying them, I didn't get the uncomfortable hit on the hips, thighs or legs, I could switch from the double handles to one of the side handle as top handle really easily.
    Ultra bonus point, when I used the top handle, I could rest the bag on the floor when we were waiting in the numerous lines.

The advantage of an Aeronaut or Tristar/Synapse pair is that you can stow the Synapse empty or maybe as a lightly packed Packing Cube during travel and use it as an EDC at the destination.

I don't have a Co-Pilot, a Pilot and resisted buying an ultra gorgeous Imago, all landscape style bags, as previous experiences with non-TB bags proved very uncomfortable.

However, I used to travel within the U.S, with a really full Brain Bag and Large Cafe Bag. Despite their 30 and 10 pounds or 13.607910732 and 4.535970244 kilos respective weight, I could walk easily and even run inside airports.

I know their weight because I visited the TB store and Tom evaluated the weight of the two bags.

In the autumn of the same year I visited, I fell (unmarked storm drain) and I also fell again in the autumn of last year (slippery floor from ants invasion remedy).

The European trip happened between the two falls, the airline had weight restriction and I discovered the joy of light travel with Dyneema items.

Curiously, I brought almost the same amount of outfits as in my Brain Bags but managed to keep it at 6 or 7 kilos for each bags, the Tristar and the Synapse.

I packed a Dyneema Small Cafe Bag for the going trip which I was able to keep as a shoulder bag for the return trip, it weighs almost nothing, has more shape and holds as much as a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, I believe.

I used a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag as a dinner purse when I forgot or didn't have the space to pack a formal purse.

Another alternative could be the Side Effect, many forum members have experience with that accessory as a Travel Carry.

Hope that helps.
    Hollie and Ilkyway like this.

Wow backpack thank you for taking the time to write this all down. It gave me lot to think about and try out. As I know your preference for backpacks (well it's in the name, isn't it?) I think you understand my wish to keep my loads on my back whenever possible.

Sorry for your two falls. I hope everything is fine now?

Two Bag trave with backpacks onley?

I routinely travel with the Aeronaut as backpack and a Synapse 19 as a frontpack. It's great having both hands free and my travel documents up front and at hand. I can wrangle a kid and drink my coffee at the same time. I've considered the Pilot as I think it's a better layout for water bottle/documents/iPad/books and could become a casual briefcase at my business travel destinations.

I do wish the Aeronaut had an honest waistbelt; it becomes heavy on the shoulders after a longer walk through the terminal and concourses. I have a MountainSmith Rambler that I may switch to for that. The Rambler would better allow for bundle packing too as it doesn't have the end pockets and is a panel loading type pack.

Can't say you won't look like a turtle, but I've never been too tied to fashion (as you can tell by my outfit!). I two-backpack a lot. Aeronaut, Tri-Star, Brain Bag, or Smart Alec on my back, usually the S19 on my front.
    Ilkyway likes this.

Thank you tCook for pointing me to your turtle-post. I think I will end up like a fellow-turtle. With me it is not about the fashion either. I did something like you picture on my last flight (pre TB). My problem is, I feel so crowded with a Frontpage. Just like a big crowd on my own.
    Jayhawk thank you for sharing your experience and welcome here!
    tCook likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0