Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Two Bag trave with backpacks onley?

@Ilkyway

I really like your concept and I have been thinking about it for a while. The problem is finding 2 attachment points on the backpack to hook a shoulder strap to and use it as a shoulder or cross-shoulder bag when using the other backpack in "backpack mode"

How about carrying one of the backpacks on its side - use the waist strap gatekeeper loop as one shoulder strap attachment point and the hand webbing as the other. You can put in those round metal key chain loops on the attachment points to make it easy to clip in the shoulder strap (there are other options too). You can even use the other waist strap gatekeeper loop to put in a stabilizer strap like the QAM version or the separate Ristretto bag one you can buy.

I will try to take a picture of what I am describing when I get a chance.

Hope this helps and I hope this is in line with what you are asking.

Cheers!
    Ilkyway likes this.
    Zephyr/SA/BB (Black/Black/Steel), S25/TS/WF/A45 (Black/Iberian), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), CP (Black/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

@Ilkyway

Here is a few pictures using my Smart Alec as a backpack and my Synapse 25 (I do not have a Synapse 19) as a shoulder bag. I actually really like this in real world use. The Synapse backpacks, due to their great body hugging design really molds to the contours of my hip (if not too full) . The Synapse as a shoulder bag really feels like a small messenger or duffle on my side. BTW, I just tied the backpack shoulder straps together with the sternum strap and I used an Absolute Shoulder Strap to hold the bag on my shoulder.

Here is the overall view with both backpacks on:

Name:  Synapse 25 Shoulder Bag with Smart Alec Backpack.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  316.5 KB

Here is a view looking down on the Synapse 25 to show the curvy nature of the Synapse and the attachment points. I used some carbiners I had lying around.

Name:  Synapse 25 Shoulder Bag_Top View.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  365.0 KB

@Ilkyway - Thanks so much for the idea. I love it and I will try it on my next trip.

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 05-13-2014 at 05:17 PM.
    Zephyr/SA/BB (Black/Black/Steel), S25/TS/WF/A45 (Black/Iberian), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), CP (Black/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

tpnl this is it! You are phenomenal. You took some silly thoughts and made them in a real-world solution. I have all the components here and will try it out tomorrow with a S19.

Thank you so much especially for taking the photos. I might have had a hard time understanding and believing that and how this works.

TAHNKS

@tpnl and @llkyway
    Would the both of you feel you have to be a little more careful about what you put into the side bag?
    I'm just a little concerned about how the loops would handle the weight.
    Also wondering if a shorty like me could pull that off lol

I'll answer this when I got around testing it out. Hopefully this afternoon. But since I will be using a S19 I have high hopes that there will be no material issue.

@icebeng

In deciding what to try, the ability of the attachment points to handle the weight was a key consideration as well as weight distribution / balance.

I am confident of the ability of the attachment points to handle any weight the bag was designed to hold because:
    1) the top handle loop attachment point - this webbing handle loop is designed for you to hold the full weight of the backpack when not using the back shoulder straps. So, IMHO, it should handle the weight.
    2) the waist strap loop attachment point - this loop is designed to, in conjunction with the waist strap, allow you to distribute the load to your hips. So, IMHO, they are designed to handle tension / weight.

I think that you need to be careful about what you put in the bag - but not for the weight/durability - more about balance and bulkiness. It is the body hugging shape of the Synapse that allows this bag to be usable (weight closer to you is easier to carry) and not this big thing at hip height that bounces around and unbalances you. A Synapse that is light or medium loaded will still retain the body hugging shape and not be bulky.

As for how it works on different people's heights, I would only think, IMHO, that a smaller bag (ie. the Synapse 19) would be better for shorter people - the same way a huge purse / tote / bag is not visually proportional on some people. Being on your side makes it more obvious than if on your back, IMHO. I think this is why you do not see many Vertical orientation bags that hold anything larger than a 15" laptop. It is just too big and long - like this post:

New: Cafe Bag for Jung's The Red Book (April Fools!) - TOM BIHN Blog: We make travel bags in Seattle, Washington

That post had me going because I like the vertical style very much - to heck with proportions

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 05-14-2014 at 07:35 AM.

Thanks, tpnl!
    It's a useful and definitely interesting setup you have devised there.
    If it catches on as people see your method, we'll all have name dropping rights! (Sort of) :P
    "OMG! I know where that that idea originated from!" "And I even know who made the 1st prototype!!" ^.^

That April Fool's joke is hilarious! 1st thing that actually came to mind though, was that the bag would be perfect for a full sized pizza in a box! lol
    2nd thing was, that bag would totally fit one of the smaller shipping boxes TB uses. You could probably pull off hauling that bag around though!
    Ilkyway likes this.

@ tpnl: today I had the chance to rebuild what you did. I did it with a Synapse 19 because that one would be going with me as a personal item. For my carry on it might be the SA or the Aeronout. I have to say this load is quite a bit. But the carrying option is great. It does not feel so crowded, the side towards me, the bottle-pocket and the small upper pocked are super easy to reach. The rest is okey to get to but I would plan it so that I would not have to on the airport. It is easy to load and unload you can switch shoulders and when on destination I have my daypack and do not have to make do with a messenger bag style. So the best of both worlds. Even if they do not show anything that tpnl has not shown I put in some pictures anyway to show a girls-version of it.

Name:  BP as Massanger1.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  522.2 KBName:  BP as Massanger2.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  565.0 KBName:  BP as Massanger3.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  518.8 KBName:  BP as Massanger4.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  713.2 KBName:  BP as Massanger5.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  477.2 KB

Ilkyway

@llkyway

Fantastic pictures - they really do justice to your idea. The colors just pop! The Nordic looks so vibrant and the aubergine really deep and rich. The zipper pulls really give the bag some zing too and make it something to remember.

The S19 is definitely an excellent fit and works proportionally. I agree that the way the pockets in the Synapse are so usable even in this new configuration is such a bonus - I was really surprised to find that out.

I had a need this weekend to wear a formal suit but needed the carrying capacity that the S25 had. I used it in this new "shoulder" bag fashion and it really worked well. My suit was dark and my S25 is black so things just blended in (except for the Tom Bin logo - good thing my first name is Tom too ... ) and the body hugging nature of the bag made it easy to carry without banging into things and not nearly as noticeable as a regular shoulder bag.

This concept really opens things up to carry any combination of 2 backpacks - saves on having to take another shoulder bag, gives new flexibility and effectively turns a backpack into a convertible backpack - way to go @llkyway!!

Cheers!

Love the pictures and the photos! :-) There is just one concern thats nagging me..wouldnt you put a lot of strain and stress onto the bottom corner where it holds the weight carrying it sideways, which it is not designed for especially when heavy? I know that the seams are so mega strong in TB bags, but in time because its not re enforced maybe it could become a problem if you carry it like that for long periods of time? Would the warranty still be valid?
    Just a thought...but I love the idea...its great!

@vivelly

I too had that concern. However, there are a few things that convinced me that the bottom loop would be able to handle the strain as well as any other part of the bag (e.g. same as the shoulder straps, handle):

1) The bottom loops are for a waist strap - which is used for load bearing and distributing the weight of the bag - so it should be able to handle a good amount of stress and strain
    2) The bottom loops are sewn between the seams - usually an indicator that it is meant to be strong
    3) I can feel the loop ends anchored on the inside of the backpack to the rather substantial sewn seam fabric on the inside of the bag - so I believe them to be reinforced and anchored well to the bag.
    4) In this new configuration, a fully filled bag would actually bulge out and not be easy to carry. I recommend only a medium load just from a balance standpoint. Given this, the strain from the weight is lessened.

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 05-17-2014 at 10:07 PM.

@ tpnl: I stand by my opinion that YOU made something real out of my rambling, so the credit belongs to you. But more to the point: you have used it in a real-life situation and it worked well. That is so great!

As for the concern for stressing the bottom corner too much: I thought about that too and came to the same conclusion like tpnl and this layout would (for me) not become the main carrying option. I think in miles we are talking about under 5%. But these 5% are the stressful ones and I want them to be as compftable as possible.

BUT should ever anything happen to this corner due to this carrying method (I really have good face that nothing will happen) I would not ask for warranty. We are talking about using a backpack in a not intended way. I would take responsibility for that and ask for repair on my expenses. Remember that I will have gotten a lot of good use out of my backpack by than. If it needs some rest and recovery by than I will take care of that.

Just my thoughts on this subject.
    Ilkyway
    tpnl and vivelly like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0