Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PaulT00

Thread: Question for UK members only, re deliveries

Question for UK members only, re deliveries

If you're in the UK and had a TB delivery come via USPS rather than UPS, who delivered it and how did they want the custom duty to be paid? I've had two UPS deliveries so far and they are strictly COD, but this is my first USPS one.

TIA!
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

Hi, in my experience it's delivered by Parcelforce. Prior to delivery, I've always received a letter telling me how much I need to pay. I pay online and select a delivery day, you have to give them at least 48 hours notice . If you would like a Saturday delivery it's an extra 12!!!
    TBH, when you consider the extra time it takes for delivery, I'm not sure it's worth the saving.

Quote Originally Posted by ceepee View Post
    TBH, when you consider the extra time it takes for delivery, I'm not sure it's worth the saving.
    You mean USPS vs UPS? I agree - I'd almost rather spend the full $45 and get my parcel in 5 days rather than nearly 3 weeks! TBH I wasn't expecting this order to come via USPS, as it's quite large: a Swift, a Side Effect, a PCSB and a load of pouches and knitting accessories!
    Collections:
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    You mean USPS vs UPS?
    Yes, UPS is currently better for me (due to speed and tracking) now I can be home on a weekday to take delivery.

I have a backorder on its way via USPS that I placed when I didn't have that option. In that situation, USPS was better for me because it's easier to collect from my local ParcelForce depot than the UPS depot.....plus, if the neighbours were in ParcelForce could leave it with them because the duty was already paid.....or I could have it left at the local Post Office for 2.

I would often plan my TB deliveries to coincide with me taking leave so I could opt for UPS though

Unfortunately, for me leave often equals travel, so a) I'm usually not at home and b) since my orders are of course mostly travel accessories, it's a bit late by then!
    Collections:

Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    Unfortunately, for me leave often equals travel, so a) I'm usually not at home and b) since my orders are of course mostly travel accessories, it's a bit late by then!
    I was fortunate in that I had a few more days leave than my partner.....which meant I could spend them mooching, impatiently, around the house awaiting the arrival of UPS . Although, to my annoyance, on the days I took leave they often arrived after the time I would normally be home. On the odd day a delivery arrived whilst I was at work, invariably it was in the morning .

I'm still waiting for my first USPS-mediated TB delivery (a couple of limited edition Nordic and Black Travel Trays!) but from long experience with buying other stuff from the US and delivery to the UK, I would second ceepee's comments with a caveat. In general I would expect an invoice from Parcel Force for the import duty and VAT, plus their (extortionate, considering) handling fee. However, depending on value they may not bother. I've had stuff sail through without incurring their wrath, although it can be a bit hit and miss. If you bank on getting an invoice you might be pleasantly surprised.

I work from home most of the time these days, so for big stuff I would probably prefer UPS too. In the past, when I was regularly buying stuff from the US while working away from home, I often used to get it delivered to my office address - where there is a permanent goods in department - rather than play 'chase the postman' (or more usually 'trek to the sorting office at the weekend') to get my parcels. I also did this when I bought ceepee's Aeronaut and other bits and pieces a while back - that week I was in the office in London, so it made sense to get the stuff delivered there. Of course this does rely on having a vaguely reliable postal service, and an employer who doesn't mind you having stuff delivered to your work address!
    A45 crm/stl TS nvy/sol A30 aub/was BB nvyP/stlP S19 nor/stl P nor/sol CP blk/stl; SE was CQPC ibrn, sol Ri aub/stl 3DCC crd TSS4 was K crd TT sol,nor,blk CC crd/stl PCBP sol PP nvy QK for,coy,aub + lotsa cubes!

I should also add that tracking on the USPS website is very hit and miss, my last package went from "electronic shipping info received" to "Delivered" with no updates in between.
    However, I have been able to track the parcels once they reach the UK by putting the USPS number into the ParcelForce/Royal Mail online tracker. It seems to be updated more often than the USPS' own tracking.
    A good indication that an invoice is on the way is when the tracking comes up as "awaiting customer instruction", or something similar.

I have used USPS only once, never again. In my experience, (not just with my TB orders), there is just no way of knowing when ParcelForce will deliver your stuff. And they have that rip-off admin charge on top of the import duty. So what you save on the shipping, you pay for in admin charges. In my opinion UPS is much better as it's easier to predict when to be at home to sign for a parcel by using the much better tracking system.

What about forming a 'TB Buying Club' ? Group together purchases to share the shipping costs ? Just a thought ...

Question for UK members only, re deliveries

Quote Originally Posted by UK-Limey View Post
    What about forming a 'TB Buying Club' ? Group together purchases to share the shipping costs ? Just a thought ...
    It's a thought that has crossed my mind before. But, assuming someone is willing to take on the responsibility of running it, I see one major downside:

One item on backorder would hold up everyone else's order.

And it's bad enough when it's my own item on backorder causing the delay!!

For the record, I went to the optician's this morning and when I got back there was a TB box on my doorstep! Fortunately I live in a very low-crime area, and at the end of a cul-de-sac, so the posties are used to being able to leave large items outside.

No sign of an invoice, though, so I'm hoping they didn't bother...
    Collections:

@scribe - maybe your luck was in: they never issue the invoice after the delivery, instead they always get the money before they will let you have the package.

This morning I had a little 'we have something for you but there is a fee to pay' card delivered, rather than a parcelforce invoice in the post. I think it depends on the value whether they put a card through or issue a formal invoice. Rather than mess about, I drove to the sorting office (only about 5 minutes away) and paid them in cash, in person, and got my TB delivery. I was more than a little miffed that the 'handling charge' of 8 was nearly double the actual duty/VAT due! Money for old rope!

However, on the plus side, I am now admiring my new Nordic and Black dyneema travel trays...
    scribe likes this.
    A45 crm/stl TS nvy/sol A30 aub/was BB nvyP/stlP S19 nor/stl P nor/sol CP blk/stl; SE was CQPC ibrn, sol Ri aub/stl 3DCC crd TSS4 was K crd TT sol,nor,blk CC crd/stl PCBP sol PP nvy QK for,coy,aub + lotsa cubes!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulT00 View Post
    @scribe - maybe your luck was in: they never issue the invoice after the delivery, instead they always get the money before they will let you have the package.
    That's what I was thinking - the only time I've had an invoice independent of delivery was with Fedex. HMRC have had plenty out of me lately - they can go without for a change!

Anyway, I asked for my next order to be sent UPS regardless of weight - the backorder date makes it a bit tight on getting here before my next trip, so it's worth the extra $15.
    Collections:

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0