Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Brain Bag and accessories

Brain Bag and accessories

Hello! I will soon be purchasing a Brain Bag for multiple uses-college, weekend travel, a three week trip to china, and some small backpacking trips. Based on this, does anyone have any suggestions for accessories to purchase alongside this bag? I am thinking about the packing cube backpack and the leads pocket for the guide pocket. I currently have an Outback sleeve from Waterfield Designs for my Macbook Pro(13") so I am not very interested in a Brain Cell. I am very curious to hear everyone's thoughts on packing cubes for the BB on weekend trips and weeklong trips. Thanks in advance for any help!

3D Cubes for small things like toilettery, Clear Quarter Packing Cube sized like twin 3D Cubes, The Packing Cube Shoulder Bag.

All of those are available in 200d Dyneema, which is very strong and ultra lightweight, it makes all the difference in packing the Brain Bag.

It would help if you could list what you take on hikes and on travels.

@DubbySmurf

Here are some of my suggestions:
    PCBP (Aeronaut or Tri-Star/WesternFlyer) - great as a packing cube with the flexibility of a slim backpack (for your slim Outback Sleeve). See the following links:
    Packing Cube backpack for a Brain Bag?
    Brain Bag: dimentions and packing cubes

Vertical Freudian Slip - excellent for organization and can put it in the PCBP and your Sleeve in it as well for extra protection / convenience

PCSB or Lead's pocket or SE. All three could act as a secondary bag. The Lead's Pocket is padded so good for fragile things. I have a Lead's Pocket. I also bought a removable waist strap to make it a waist pack and together with 2 Double Carabiners and a Absolute Shoulder Strap, it transforms into a shoulder bag. Good to carry a compact camera too.

Co-Pilot - fits underneath the Lead's Pocket (tightly) but can be used as a day bag when travelling and a packing cube for small items otherwise

Camera I/O - if you want to carry a DSLR type camera with a few lenses. can be used as a padded rigid packing cube too to keep things protected

Above is the setup I have to use in my BB.

I do not have any dedicated packing cubes but a combination of the medium and small cubes should work just fine. See this link:
    Brain Bag Accessory

Apparently the Smart Alec Lower Modular pockets can be clipped on the Brain Bag Annex clips

Also, you can even put a Pilot in the Brain Bag - can use it as a business bag or a packing cube. It would fit your 13" MBP in Outback Sleeve perfectly. See this link:
    Packing the new Pilot in a Brain Bag?

Other things to consider:
    Snake Charmer is great if you do not have something already to hold cords / power supply, etc
    Large Yarn Stuff Sacks for front pockets to hold things or to keep water bottles in to prevent "sweat" dripping on something that is not waterproof
    Travel Tray - great to hold things so they do not get lost once at your destination
    Cache with Rails - if you could find one to fit over your Outback sleeve (check interior dimensions of the Cache to be bigger or same as exterior dimensions of your sleeve), you could perhaps use the checkpoint friendly feature (as the Outback is TSA friendly to).

Tip: there is a limited run right now of Nordic or Black or Steel 400d Dyneema PCBP (both types), PCSB and Travel Trays. This is different from the regular ones that are 200d Dyneema. It does not specify it on the website but the 3 colors I mentioned are for sure the stronger Dyneema. Get them quick if you want one for your Brain Bag!

Hope this Helps

Cheers!

P.S. - Link to Acronym Guide if you need it - Acronyms Guide
    Last edited by tpnl; 05-06-2014 at 10:51 PM.
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

In addition to everyone's great ideas I'd recommend an Eagle Creek 15" folder. It's great for holding lots of clothes like shirts and pants in a compact, relatively wrinkle free package.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by giantsteve View Post
    In addition to everyone's great ideas I'd recommend an Eagle Creek 15" folder. It's great for holding lots of clothes like shirts and pants in a compact, relatively wrinkle free package.
    Does the 18" Eagle Creek Pack-It folder also fit in the Brain Bag? (I'd guess, yes, based on being able to use the Packing Cube BackPack for the Tri-Star/Western Flyer, which can also hold the Pilot and the Freudian Slip.) Maybe others can comment on this option. This may mainly be relevant if you want to move Pack-It folders between other bags: The 18" folder is the maximum size that can be used with Tri-Star and Western Flyer (which needs the Eagle Creek Specter 2 version of the folder if you want it to fit), while the 15" folder can be used with both these bags, and the Aeronaut (without having to expand the main compartment by unsnapping a side), but doesn't make maximum use of the space. On the other hand, the 15" folder can fit into other (smaller) backpacks, like the Synapse 25.

Regarding @tpnl's Tip on the limited run of accessories in 400d Dyneema, here's the relevant section of Darcy's post:

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    We're temporarily out of our Steel, Wasabi, and Iberian 200d Dyneema/nylon fabrics. …

There is a silver (Dyneema? ha ha.. ehh..) lining to all of this: we're making limited production runs of the some accessories in 400d Dyneema/nylon in Black, Nordic, and Steel. Yup! This will be your one chance ever to order those bags in those fabrics, and they're up for pre-order now:

Travel Tray, Black and Nordic
    Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, Black and Nordic
    Packing Cube Backpack (Aeronaut), Black, Nordic, and Steel
    Packing Cube Backpack (Tri-Star/Western Flyer), Black, Nordic, and Steel
    Note that according to this the heavier weight Dyneema for the PCSB and Travel Trays are only available in Black and Nordic -- not in Steel -- unless anyone has any evidence to the contrary. Also, note that Darcy also recently posted this general comment:
    Steel and Nordic 400d Dyneema are retiring, leaving only Black 400d Dyneema/nylon for the foreseeable future. No new colors are planned as of now, but you know us… that could change (or not.)

200d Dyneema/nylon? Only Solar is retiring. That means Iberian, Ultraviolet, Steel, and Wasabi are here to stay, at least for now.

I'm hoping to be able to share more color news with everyone in the next 1-2 months!
    This means that any accessories you might want in colors like Solar, Nordic, and Black will also be going away, in case this affects your decision on color options for the Side Effect, Pilot, various organizer cubes and pouches, travel stuff sacks, Shop Bags, etc.

HTH. moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 05-07-2014 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Moved signature out of quoted region
    tpnl likes this.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by giantsteve View Post
    Does the 18" Eagle Creek Pack-It folder also fit in the Brain Bag? (I'd guess, yes, based on being able to use the Packing Cube BackPack for the Tri-Star/Western Flyer, which can also hold the Pilot and the Freudian Slip.) Maybe others can comment on this option. This may mainly be relevant if you want to move Pack-It folders between other bags: The 18" folder is the maximum size that can be used with Tri-Star and Western Flyer (which needs the Eagle Creek Specter 2 version of the folder if you want it to fit), while the 15" folder can be used with both these bags, and the Aeronaut (without having to expand the main compartment by unsnapping a side), but doesn't make maximum use of the space. On the other hand, the 15" folder can fit into other (smaller) backpacks, like the Synapse 25.

Regarding @tpnl's Tip on the limited run of accessories in 400d Dyneema, here's the relevant section of Darcy's post:

We're temporarily out of our Steel, Wasabi, and Iberian 200d Dyneema/nylon fabrics. …

There is a silver (Dyneema? ha ha.. ehh..) lining to all of this: we're making limited production runs of the some accessories in 400d Dyneema/nylon in Black, Nordic, and Steel. Yup! This will be your one chance ever to order those bags in those fabrics, and they're up for pre-order now:

Travel Tray, Black and Nordic
    Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, Black and Nordic
    Packing Cube Backpack (Aeronaut), Black, Nordic, and Steel
    Packing Cube Backpack (Tri-Star/Western Flyer), Black, Nordic, and Steel
    Note that according to this the heavier weight Dyneema for the PCSB and Travel Trays are only available in Black and Nordic -- not in Steel -- unless anyone has any evidence to the contrary. Also, note that Darcy also recently posted this general comment:
    Steel and Nordic 400d Dyneema are retiring, leaving only Black 400d Dyneema/nylon for the foreseeable future. No new colors are planned as of now, but you know us… that could change (or not.)

200d Dyneema/nylon? Only Solar is retiring. That means Iberian, Ultraviolet, Steel, and Wasabi are here to stay, at least for now.

I'm hoping to be able to share more color news with everyone in the next 1-2 months!
    This means that any accessories you might want in colors like Solar, Nordic, and Black will also be going away, in case this affects your decision on color options for the Side Effect, Pilot, various organizer cubes and pouches, travel stuff sacks, Shop Bags, etc.

HTH. moriond

As for a packing list for anywhere between a week-a month:
    3 pair nylon socks
    2 pair wool
    1 pair dress socks
    5 pair compression unders
    1 pair running/sleeping shorts
    3 pairs jeans
    2 pairs cargo shorts
    4 t-shirts
    1 long sleeve shirt
    1 suit
    toiletries-body wash, shampoo/conditioner, deodorant, toothbrush/paste
    McbPro 13" in outback case
    chargers for phone/laptop, extension cord
    3 subject notebook+writing utensils
    and of course, money, wallet, passport, phone, etc

I think I will order a packing cube backpack, unless a shoulder bag would work better. Any opinion on that would be appreciated. Probably order two medium packing cubes as well and a small one. Is a travel tray really that useful? I think I might get an eagle creek pack it folder, or would that be overkill/redundant with the packing cubes? What about some suggestions for the front pockets? Would a leads pocket fit? Also, how many use a co-pilot or pilot with the BB?
    Thanks for everyone's help!

Hello

I test packed what you had listed except for the notepad, extension cord and actual shampoo/conditioner (I put is small bottle equivalents) and it all fit. I was quick in my packing so things are not optimally packed. If you did a test pack, took some time and used some of the tips on this forum, I am sure you could pack things even more effectively. Note also that my BB is a 2004 version with a slightly different padded handle design. This does not cause any packing or functionality difference but you may wonder why it is different.
    I used my NEW 400D Dyneema Tri-Star Packing Cube backpack, my NEW 400D Dyneema Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, my NEW 400D Dyneema Travel Tray and my Co-Pilot (roughly similar size to a Medium Packing Cube). I use the Co-Pilot as a packing cube and gain the flexibility of having a day bag for wherever I go). I also use a non-TB toiletry bag from Timbuk2 (long and narrow) and a Waterfield SleeveCase similar to your Outback Sleeve.
    To answer your question about the Lead's Pocket: I tried to fit the Lead's Pocket into the BB front side pocket but it did not fit. The top of the BB pocket tapers leaving no room for the Lead's Pocket.
    To answer you question about the Travel Tray: See the picture below. Essentially, it allows you the convenience of keeping all those small things (electronics / cables / lights / gum, etc) in one spot that is easy to pack up and small enough to fit in a small pocket or area in another bag for travelling.

Here is a 3/4 view of the Brain Bag all packed up with everything + an umbrella
    Name:  Brain Bag - 3Quarters View.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  405.3 KB

Here is a view with the 2 main compartments open showing the Tristar PCBP, SleeveCase and PCSB. The Co-Pilot is under PCSB
    Name:  Brain Bag - Top Open.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  393.8 KB

Here is a view of what is in the 2 main compartments. In the PCBP, I have the full suit, business shirt and 2 cargo shorts. In the Co-Pilot, I have the 3 pants, running/sleeping shorts, 5 underwear and 6 socks. In the PCSB, I have the long sleeve shirt and 4 t-shirts.
    Name:  Brain Bag - what was inside.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  390.5 KB

In this view, you see the travel tray rolled to fit in the side pocket. I have all the cables and power supplies in it. In the right pocket are the toiletries. In the top pocket is my phone, passport and wallet. There is more room in each pocket to hold even more.
    Name:  Brain Bag Front - what was inside.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  315.4 KB

Here is the Travel Tray and how I use it. It is very convenient. I have even seem some people use it as a lamp by putting in a flashlight or Guardian Light and closing up the top.
    Name:  Travel Tray.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  479.6 KB

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 05-08-2014 at 08:37 AM.
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! That solidifies my choice of BB. The only question now is to wait or not to wait. I'm hoping for a few more choices in lining, and I like the new fabrics too. But I want it now!! Haha so many choices equate to so many struggles. Anyone having this same feeling?

Right now though, I think I am going to order a tristar PCBP, a TT, and some form of normal packing cubes. What would be a good size cube for the pack, something similar to a co-pilot or PCSB in size? Also, what would be a good 311 bag that will fit in the front pocket? Thanks everyone for your help!
    Last edited by DubbySmurf; 05-08-2014 at 09:26 PM.

This is a great thread. I enjoy seeing the many different uses for both travel and EDC luggage. The Brain Bag is obviously great multi-purpose luggage.
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Does anyone have any knowledge of plans for any changes in lining of the brain bag? I've tried contacting Darcy, who I'm sure is extremely busy, with no avail, but I would like to know before the price change because that would be a huge factor in me waiting.

Yes, Darcy announced the next BB run would have a ballistic bottom and parapack interior.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    * Favorite TB: Steel Little Swift * Latest TB: Nordic/Solar Synapse 25 * 2014 Wishlist: New 400d Color

Awesome! I apparently forgot to add lining color as what I was looking for. Thanks for that information, but I would really love something like a wasabi or solar lining. Any clue about that?

And more o-rings

Sent from my Venue 8 Pro 5830 using Tapatalk
    Black/Steel TS, Black/Steel A45, Black Dyneema/Wasabi A30, Black/Black/Steel Brain Bag, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Black/Steel Pilot, Black/Steel Synapse 19, Black Dyneema/Wasabi Synapse 19, Black/Steel Cadet 11, Black/Steel Imago, Black Dyneema/Wasabi MCB, Navy/Cayenne and Black/Solar SCB, Black/Wasabi and Navy/Iberian SE and many pouches in various sizes. Tom Bihnaholic.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DubbySmurf View Post
    Awesome! I apparently forgot to add lining color as what I was looking for. Thanks for that information, but I would really love something like a wasabi or solar lining. Any clue about that?
    @DubbySmurf I'll quote the actual post in which Darcy mentioned the Brain Bag. Note that the lining will be Parapack (current colors: Steel, Navy, Olive, and Black). Also, note that Solar Dyneema will be retired soon

Note on the Brain Bag: the next batch of Brain Bags will be made with an exterior of 1000d Cordura, an interior of Parapack, and (due to your popular demand) a bottom of 1050d ballistic nylon. And, oh yeah: more o-rings (!!!).
    Here's the quoted text about Solar

In all cases, you can click on the links (arrow or highlighted text for the quote, depending on your browser platform or whether you use the TapaTalk app), and see the full post in its thread for context.

HTH. moriond

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast