Pilot Dimensions

Could somebody please let me know the interior dimensions of the Pilot's main compartment? I'd like to use the bag as a briefcase, but I'm not sure if it will fit a laptop plus all the papers I need to cart around.
    Thanks very much

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bostonbag View Post
    Could somebody please let me know the interior dimensions of the Pilot's main compartment? I'd like to use the bag as a briefcase, but I'm not sure if it will fit a laptop plus all the papers I need to cart around.
    Thanks very much
    Welcome to the forums. The compartments of the Pilot adjust slightly according to how the bag is loaded, so it might be better to describe what model laptop you want to carry, and how you plan to carry papers. Take a look at the thread Books/binders in pilots?

If you need to carry your papers in the form of many thick binders, the Pilot is not going to be the best choice. The Cadet will allow you a little more flexibility in this regard, but neither of these bags are designed for hauling large amounts of paper around. If that's your main requirement, take a look at briefcase style bags like the Empire Bulder, the Zephyr, and the Founder's Briefcase. You can also look at bags like the ID bag if you prefer a messenger bag style.

HTH.

moriond

ETA: If you treat the wall of the main compartment as an inflexible rigid barrier, then that compartment is about 2.75" deep. But in the same thread in which I posted that reply, someone else responded that he had just inserted a stack of books 4.25" thick. You can also use the Large a packing cube size as a guide for what will comfortably fit in the main compartment, with room to access the built-in pockets, and also not squeeE too close to the walls:
    Pilot Large Packing Cube:
    Dimensions: 14.8" x 11" x 2.5" / 375 x 280 x 65 mm
    Last edited by moriond; 05-06-2014 at 02:13 PM.

moriond, thanks for your quick reply and for referring me to that thread - it's very helpful.
    I use a briefcase now that is about 3" deep, which I find is big enough for my Thinkpad (1") and plenty of papers in manila file folders, or bound with small spirals. I don't usually carry 3 ring binders.
    It looks like the Pilot's main compartment is also about 3"? In the thread you linked to, you were able to get a 3" binder in there and Jmoz seemed to be able to pack 4" of books without the compartment bulging or unable to zip closed. Does that sound right?

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bostonbag View Post
    moriond, thanks for your quick reply and for referring me to that thread - it's very helpful.
    I use a briefcase now that is about 3" deep, which I find is big enough for my Thinkpad (1") and plenty of papers in manila file folders, or bound with small spirals. I don't usually carry 3 ring binders.
    It looks like the Pilot's main compartment is also about 3"? In the thread you linked to, you were able to get a 3" binder in there and Jmoz seemed to be able to pack 4" of books without the compartment bulging or unable to zip closed. Does that sound right?
    @bostonbag I edited my post to copy in size information from a response in another thread. I think the ruler depth is 2.75", but the interior Dyneema wall lets you expand into the front compartments, if most of your usage is in the back compartment. So if you use folders and spiral binders, that should work for you,

You may also want to use the cache on rails for your laptop as a convenience, but it's not a necessity. HTH

moriond

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0