Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Small Cafe Bag for a 5 year old girl?

Small Cafe Bag for a 5 year old girl?

Thought I was ask a question for my first post on the forum. I have several TB bags mostly for travelling with work. My 5 year old daughter loves my 13" Ristretto (Navy/Solar) and wants a colourful bag for herself.

I've almost settled on the Plum/Wasabi Small Cafe Bag but I have a couple of questions.

1. I think its big enough for a TB travel tray containing her small toys and a sigg water bottle, perhaps a magazine also. Is it wide enough for a full sized iPad (at a squeeze)? I usually carry it but occasionally she likes it in her bag.
    2. The strap length. I see its maximum length on the specifications but she's pretty small. Does anyone know if it can adjust down to a short enough length to fit a child?

Any comments on the Plum/Wasabi colour combo? If I do need to go bigger to a medium cafe bag size I see that colour combo is not available and I also think that might be too big for her anyway.

I'm in the UK so need to make really sure I choose the right one before ordering. Thanks in advance for your feedback and advice.

Plum/wasabi is a beautiful color combination.

I do not have an iPad, but I loaded my SCB with items close to your list:

Is your daughter of average height for her age? We have a MCB in the household and a 5 yro grandson who is somewhat petite for his age. When he returns from trampolining, I'll take a picture of him with the MCB, so at least you have that as a point of reference.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Same items inside the MCB:

The items are:

Last edited by Walker; 05-03-2014 at 11:02 AM.

The DVD was inside the front zippered pocket of the SCB. To me, the bag load was tight.

Same load inside the MCB - easy to fish out and put back.

I am way under 5 feet. The strap of the cafe bags are too long for me - I can only wear my CB's cross body only, adjusted with the buckle touching the shoulder pad. Strap is adjustable on one side only. I have been asking TB to make the strap adjustable on both sides. The answer is an offer to cut the strap shorter for me. I do not want to go that route because it will make the bags difficult to re-home when the time comes. So I will keep bugging TB, and taking this opportunity to do so.

The LS will acommodate all the items on your list nicely. My 6-year old niece chose a LS in cardinal (color has been retired) over a cafe bag. I like the LS myself - I have 3 of them .

And if TB make the straps of the SCB and MCB adjustable on both sides, I will be in line for some colorful ones
    Last edited by Walker; 05-03-2014 at 11:22 AM.

I cut off the shoulder pad slidy thing off of my SCB because it was more irritating than anything for me. With that gone, the strap can be adjusted as far as one needs.

Volunteer Moderator
    Dear Perseffect,

Welcome to the forum!

My 8 year old son has carried the Small Cafe Bag probably since age 6, and he loves it (as do I)!

Plum/Wasabi is a great combo - I had a Large Cafe Bag in that combination, as well as a Side Effect. They are both very vibrant colors, and the wasabi makes it easy to see what's inside your bag - like a natural illumination to help you see what's inside.

I feel like the Medium Cafe Bag may better hold the items you are describing, though. I carry an iPad mini in the Small Cafe Bag, and it fits well. The full size iPad, as well as a standard sized magazine, may be a tight fit.

The first picture shows him with the Small Cafe Bag at age 8.

The second picture shows him with the Medium Cafe Bag at age 4 (he didn't carry the Medium, though - I did ).
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I'll throw in a vote for the Little Swift in Aubergine. It is backordered, but it'll probably be available sooner than it indicates. If your daughter didn't like it, it would make a great everyday tote. Or if you end up carrying it ;-)

Thank you so much Walker for your advice and the photos, this has been really helpful. I hadn't even considered a Little Swift but I might just go and take a look at that as a serious option. If I do stick with the Cafe Bag, I think your photos suggest the medium would fit her stuff although the small would 'proportionally' fit her better in use. More research required i think into the Little Swift, Cheers.

Thanks Maverick for the photos, that really helps to see them in 'real life'. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Moosezilla View Post
    I cut off the shoulder pad slidy thing off of my SCB because it was more irritating than anything for me. With that gone, the strap can be adjusted as far as one needs.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Do you know if you can still attach the Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap even if the plastic pad is removed? I thought I read that it somehow wrapped around the plastic bit. Wondering if it would slide around too much if removed. Not the end of the world though in order to get the strap the right length though. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Perseffect View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. Do you know if you can still attach the Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap even if the plastic pad is removed? I thought I read that it somehow wrapped around the plastic bit. Wondering if it would slide around too much if removed. Not the end of the world though in order to get the strap the right length though. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Yes it can. I don't use mine because I never carry that heavy of a load in my SCB (not to mention that the strap alone doesn't bother me at all) and it's a pretty snug fit.

If you want to see a plum/wasabi cafe bag, I have a medium I can take a photo of. I really like it, though I think I prefer aubergine as it's a bit warmer.
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0