Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Small Cafe Bag for a 5 year old girl?

There's another option for shortening the strap further, if you don't want to cut off the plastic strap grip. It's possible to feed the adjustment buckle thing through the plastic strap grip to the other side, so the plastic strap grip is on the side where the strap is doubled in thickness. Let me know if this isn't clear, and I can post pictures. I think I first heard about this somewhere on the forums a while back, and it worked well for one of my MCBs. It takes a bit of effort, but I personally prefer the plastic strap grip over the ultrasuede strap wrap in most instances. (When not wearing the bag, I don't like how thick and heavy the strap wrap is, so I only use it when carrying a heavier load for long periods of time... that is, if I remember I have it.)

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    With the Small Cafe Bag at 4 years and 8 months -

You would know now to judge cuteness maverick, J is also a super cutie! It blew my mind to see the picture of him 8 years old. Where has the time gone?
    Moose and lacyfinn like this.
    I really, really like TB Bags!

Thanks Teresapoet. I'll certainly try this before cutting it off. Cheers.

Maverick, dorayme is right, where has the time gone? It hasn't been so long ago that we were seeing the dinosaur collection.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by teresapoet View Post
    There's another option for shortening the strap further, if you don't want to cut off the plastic strap grip. It's possible to feed the adjustment buckle thing through the plastic strap grip to the other side, so the plastic strap grip is on the side where the strap is doubled in thickness. Let me know if this isn't clear, and I can post pictures. I think I first heard about this somewhere on the forums a while back, and it worked well for one of my MCBs. It takes a bit of effort, but I personally prefer the plastic strap grip over the ultrasuede strap wrap in most instances. (When not wearing the bag, I don't like how thick and heavy the strap wrap is, so I only use it when carrying a heavier load for long periods of time... that is, if I remember I have it.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perseffect View Post
    Thanks Teresapoet. I'll certainly try this before cutting it off. Cheers.
    @teresapoet is correct: If you slide the edge of the buckle so it sits next to the plastic grippy strap, press against the two sides of the plastic strap end to make it flex and curve in an arc up from the webbing of the strap. Then rotate the buckle that has the webbing threaded through it by 90 degrees, so you can push it (still threaded with the strap webbing) through the right edge of the plastic grippy strap. Straighten out the strap and do the same sort of flexing to get the buckle threaded with webbing passed through the other end of the plastic grippy strap as well.

I agree that I find the Ultrasuede Strap Wrap to be long and thick. I've found I don't have any of the issues shoulder carrying shop bags, Swifts, Little Swifts or any of the other Tom Bihn bags and having them slip off my shoulder, so I only got this as an accessory to use when I needed to hand carry other bags. Fortunately, the current Cafe Bag shoulder straps are all soft and pliable enough to shift the plastic strap grip over the buckle, since they switched to the older style straps last November 2013, as reported by Darcy in the Cafe Bag Strap Changes? thread; this is much tougher to do with my Small Cafe Bag in Azalea, which has a stiff strap. Here's the link to the video on Installing the Tom Bihn Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap that @maverick made, where you can clearly see both the Ultrasuede Strap Wrap and the plastic strap grip, so my instructions might make more sense.

By the way, another vote in favor of the Plum/Wasabi Small Cafe Bag color combination chosen by @Perseffect. I ordered one of these as soon as I was able to confirm the newer, more flexible straps were being used again. The only reason that I didn't already have it is that (1) this was also the favorite color combination of a friend, who chose it for her Small Cafe Bag, and (2) I use the Little Swift more than Cafe Bags, or else a horizontal messenger bag (like the retired Imago) for larger bags. In the Cafe Bag line, I use the Small Cafe Bag most.

You can carry an iPad in a Cache inside the Small Cafe Bag. It's just that the top of the Cache will go up to the top of the bag. I'd estimate the iPad in a Cache takes up nearly 40% of the Small Cafe Bag (using the older style iPad padded caches that have the denser foam that I prefer-- newer caches seem to have tighter fits).

To @dorayme, @maverick, and @monkeylady I loved seeing the pictures of the kids wearing these bags! I had to restrain myself from pointing to @dorayme's pictures of Zuri modeling the Side Effect in punch in another forum thread to avoid introducing yet another Tom Bihn bag.

Hope this all works out well. moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 05-05-2014 at 10:46 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Indeed, time goes by so fast!

He was so into trains, and then dinosaurs. And now it's all about legos!

He doesn't play with the trains or the dinosaurs anymore, but he is holding on to them in a box in the basement, waiting for his soon to arrive niece or nephew to grow and play with!

Thanks again to all and your suggestions. Thought I'd give feedback now that we have the bag.

Great job to Tom Bihn again, shipping the whole order about 5 weeks earlier than expected from the longest lead time item (a tristar packing cube backpack). And of course my daughter gets the small cafe bag much earlier than we expected.

So in order to get the strap to fit her (at the shortest setting), I cut off the plastic grip almost immediately. I did try threading it through but was struggling so simply cut it. At its shortest setting it fits her perfectly. What did surprise me though is that I decided not to use the ultrasuede shoulder pad. For such a small shoulder, it didn't have enough flex/bend so have opted not to use it for now.

I attach a photo so you can get a sense of size of the bag on her. I definitely chose the right size for her age, the medium would be too big for her to comfortably carry. Finally the Plum/Wasabi is stunning. Really pleased.

Again, thanks everyone, really happy that I got this right first time and couldn't have gone ahead in confidence without your feedback. Cheers.

Name:  Photo 18-05-2014 12 37 50.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  1.07 MB
    Last edited by Perseffect; 05-19-2014 at 02:04 PM.

That is so CUTE! I like it a lot.

I'm wondering about that sweet tent in the background. How fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Favorite: Steel/Steel LS * Latest: Grey DLBC * Wishlist: New 400d Color

Volunteer Moderator
    Great picture @Perseffect! The Small Cafe Bag is also one she'll be able to use for some time to come -- it's actually the Cafe Bag size I use most, since I'll use a Little Swift when I need to carry more. can she carry the iPad comfortably in this bag? Also, love the shoes!

Awww! Yeah - that SCB will follow her to university & beyond! Plum/wasabi is pretty.

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    Simply adorable, and I agree, this size fits her perfectly!
    I really, really like TB Bags!

Thanks, yes the iPad fits snugly. Most of time she just has a small klean kanteen and a barbie doll. Simple and Effective.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0