Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Has anyone had issues with the zippers on the double organizer pouch?

Has anyone had issues with the zippers on the double organizer pouch?

I was so excited about the double organizer pouch, particularly after seeing Taminca's great photos. But when I received mine the zippers were very weird. They opened fine, but were very hard to move in the other direction. Very different from the zippers on all the other TB pouches I have. I kept comparing them to see if there was a difference, and it was pretty striking.

Has anyone else experienced this? I returned it, and am still waiting for an answer from the TB people. I would like to replace it with another pouch, but I can't figure out (1) if the zippers on this pouch are different in some way, or (2) I got a defective one. Everyone else that commented on the forum seemed so happy with their pouches, so I'm not sure what to think.

This was kind of frustrating on top of the Synapse 19 which I had to return due to the change in design. The only truly disappointing order from Tom Bihn so far...
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

I have a medium one on order and will try to remember to update once I receive it. I wonder if the tension with two separate zippers and some intervening material makes it awkward to pull shut.

@bchaplin, I have not noticed this problem with my pouches' zippers. Just pulled out and tested the zippers on the double organizer pouch, single organizer pouch, and clear organizer wallet currently in my SCB...and the zippers all work the same.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

I don't recall any issues with my double pouch - I used it on a recent business trip (clipped into an outer pocket of my WF) to store boarding passes, bus tickets and receipts, and don't remember struggling to close it.
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

I've got a bunch of them, no issues.
    One thing I do though is as soon as I dedicate a use for one,
    my little pac-man sniper lops off the plastic zipper pull and is replaced by a TB snap pull cord.

I notice some slight sticking with mine but I figured it'd get better? I don't have any other issues with other TB products though.

Thanks for the responses. Hopefully someone at TB will eventually get back to me about it...
    ----

My double organizer zippers do have noticeably more drag when zipping them shut that when unzipping them. I didn't even think about it as an issue until I read this thread. I wonder if it is attributed to a certain run of zippers since I have single zipper pouch that appears to have the same style zipper but slides closed easily.

Thank you! Yes, that's exactly how I would describe it: drag. Only when closing the zippers. It makes a raspy noise and just feels wrong, like it's going to break.
    ----

Ack! You got me so paranoid I got out my double pouch and yes, the zips are noticeably stiffer on closing than opening. Not so much that it's an issue, but I guess I'm used to a lower standard of manufacture from other companies!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

Mine were noticeably hard to close, to the point where I was afraid they would get stuck or break. I feel like it must have been one defective stretch of zipper (which I'm assuming they buy in long sections), that got put into my particular pouch.
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by greyhundr View Post
    My double organizer zippers do have noticeably more drag when zipping them shut that when unzipping them. I didn't even think about it as an issue until I read this thread. I wonder if it is attributed to a certain run of zippers since I have single zipper pouch that appears to have the same style zipper but slides closed easily.
    This describes mine as well. I compared it to my two organizer-wallets and the newer one sounds nearly the same (not quite so much though) and the older one is smoother. For now I am thinking it will get smoother over time. The sound is somewhat unpleasant (when shutting the zipper) but I think yours bchaplin must be worth for I do not think mine will break.

I did read about your problems with the S19 and I am sorry that you have now another issue. I hope a solution for this one will be easy and also hope that someone has a S19 with nerrow straps and guadian-light-holder in your color choice for you.

This might not be much of a consultation but I do envy you your nordic SA. If you ever want to part with it I hunt you what ever other TB-Bag you want for it. (Just saying ;-) )

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    There's absolutely no need to worry about the zippers breaking: that I can say for sure. We haven't found a problem with pouch zippers yet, but we're searching really hard and looking at every detail of their zipperness just to make absolutely sure. To that end, we're performing some forensics on bchaplin's pouch to make sure everything is 100% good and I'll post another update soon.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

This drag issue was similar to the problem I had with the aeronaut. Very hard to close and the zippers feel like they are gliding wrong and made a bad zipper sound. I ended up returning it and got a red oxx sky train. I still love TB but the red oxx bag is superb and a little more my style for luggage.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

Hi, Darcy,

Will there be an update soon?
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    There's absolutely no need to worry about the zippers breaking: that I can say for sure. We haven't found a problem with pouch zippers yet, but we're searching really hard and looking at every detail of their zipperness just to make absolutely sure. To that end, we're performing some forensics on bchaplin's pouch to make sure everything is 100% good and I'll post another update soon.
    ----

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0