Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By tpnl
  • 5 Post By tpnl

Thread: question about Aeronaut backpack straps

question about Aeronaut backpack straps

How sturdy are the straps on an Aeronaut? I have read that the attachment at the top may be a point of concern. How do the buckles hold up under load?
    Any insight, especially photos, would be appreciated.

O

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by O Grande View Post
    How sturdy are the straps on an Aeronaut? I have read that the attachment at the top may be a point of concern. How do the buckles hold up under load?
    Any insight, especially photos, would be appreciated.

O
    Welcome to the forums, O Grande. The only review I have read that expressed any concern about the attachment points is the recent first time user review by @cujo: First trip with my first bag, an Aeronaut

My Aeronaut is 8 years old, and I have not had any problems with the attachment points or the straps. I now primarily use the Tri-Star (for the last few years), but another Aeronaut that has been in constant use from the same production batch in May 2006 has not had any problems with its straps (or anything else). However, I'm sure there are several more recent buyers of the Aeronaut who constantly use this bag, who can give you feedback on their bag's performance.

HTH. moriond

I just used mine and it was loaded pretty close to the 10 kg limit and the straps didn't have a problem. Granted I've only used mine a couple times; usually I use my Absolute on one shoulder.
    [2003] Brain Bag (w/Snake Charmer & 3 Monolith/Brain Cells)
    - [2010] Aeronaut (w/Absolute, 1lg/2sm Packing Cubes, Travel Tray & 3D clear cube)
    - - [2013] Co-Pilot (w/ Cache, Clear Org wallet, S.O.S., 3D Clear & mesh cubes, Passport pouch)
    - - - Small dyneema Shopbag
    - - - - Various TB stuff (organizers, straps, whistles, etc.)

Does anyone have a photo showing how the straps are stitched to the bag?
    I occasionally travel with a considerable load of materials and cannot have a strap fail. For such a small bag, I would only use the backpack straps when I have something else to carry as well, but want to be properly outfitted for those occasions.

I have had no issues with the backpack straps on the aeronaut and, IMHO, you should have no worries. If noone else has by this evening, I will take a picture of the strap attachments.

For those who do not have an Aeronaut:

The backpack straps are attached via multiple heavy stitching to the 200d Dyneema interior wall in the shoulder strap pocket. The bottom snap connectors are sewn directly into the bag seams.

More detailed description:

Looking at how they are attached (at least to my Black Ballistic, Iberian 200d Dyneema interior bag), each strap is attached via 3 wide stitch sections that are side by side and span approx. 1/3 of the strap each.
    The stitching attaches the shoulder straps directly to the 200d Dyneema lining in the back shoulder strap pocket (which is separate from the 200d Dyneema lining of the main interior of the bag – ie there are 2 layers of Dyneema that separate each section of the bag). Also note that the Dyneema lining the shoulder strap is attached to is actually a strip of 200d Dyneema that is, in turn, sewn to the top and sides of the bag and to the main 200d Dyneema interior wall at the bottom.
    If I am incorrect in my details, please correct me.

Compared to the Tri-Star I have with the same material, the backpack straps are sewn directly into the seams. The bottom snap connectors are sewn into interior corner diagonal pieces of weatherproof fabric.

Based in this, the Tri-Star has, perhaps, a more durable shoulder strap attachment setup than the Aeronaut. However, I do know that 200d Dyneema is known for its tear resistance so I would not worry about the straps accidentally tearing from the bag. Also, I have never heard of anyone having any issues with the backpack straps other than wanting to take them off to make the bag even lighter.

If there are differences in the current aeronaut or in earlier versions (e.g. moriond’s classic one), it would be interesting to know.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Zephyr (Black/Steel), S25 (Black/Iberian), SA (Black/Steel), BB (Back/Steel), A45 (Black/Iberian), TS (Black/Iberian), WF (/Crimson/Steel), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel), , CP (Black/Steel), Ego (Black/Steel/Indigo Stripe), Vertical Brain Cells, FS, Camera I/O, 400d Nordic PCBP/PCSB/TT, SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket, YSS

Here are a few pictures of the backpack strap upper attachment points to go with my earlier description:

Here is a close up of one of the straps. Note the 3 separate substantial stitches. Also note where the 2 Iberian Dyneema pieces I wrote about meet. This is where they insert the shoulder strap end past the Dyneema and "inside the interior wall". This makes it even tougher to tear because the strap would need to be pulled out from the inside of the dyneema where it is stitched the 3 times plus the stitching that holds the two Dyneema pieces with the shoulder strap sandwiched together.

Name:  Aeronaut Strap Closeup.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  542.7 KB

Here is a view of the top of the bag showing the two shoulder straps and the stitching that attaches them as well as the webbing handle. It is good to note that the end pocket at the top of the bag (if carried via the backpack straps) actually sits in top of the straps. Any weight in that end pocket would generally fall on top of the straps as opposed to below the straps.

Name:  Aeronaut Strap.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  403.2 KB

This is a view from the other side of the bag where the backpack straps are attached. I have put circles and arrows where the backpack straps are attached to ... not the Dyneema piece you are seeing in the picture but another Dyneema piece that is on the other side and makes up the backpack pocket interior fabric (ie the interior is double walled Dyneema).

Name:  Aeronaut Strap Other side.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  233.3 KB

Anyways, I think the backpack straps are pretty solid and unless you are carrying a lot of concrete bricks for a long time, it should be fine. You would severely exceed the carry-on weight limit before the strap attachment strength would be an issue.

Hope this helps

Cheer!
    Last edited by tpnl; 04-30-2014 at 06:02 PM.
    Zephyr (Black/Steel), S25 (Black/Iberian), SA (Black/Steel), BB (Back/Steel), A45 (Black/Iberian), TS (Black/Iberian), WF (/Crimson/Steel), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel), , CP (Black/Steel), Ego (Black/Steel/Indigo Stripe), Vertical Brain Cells, FS, Camera I/O, 400d Nordic PCBP/PCSB/TT, SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket, YSS

Thanks for the info. It is much appreciated. I think I will scratch the backpack straps off of my list of concerns.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0