Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Two bag travel?

Two bag travel?

Hey TB folks, I have a quick question for all of you regarding 2 bag travel. I've taken my trusty Tri-Star bag to Thailand twice already and it really exceeded my expectations. You can tell that it was made with extreme care and with the best materials available, I'm sure it will last for 10+ years easily.

My only issue was weight, I really did try to cut the weight down to 11 pounds but always seemed to go to 13.5 pounds with toiletries. It was manageable but I kept wishing I had a Co-pilot or Pilot as an under the seat bag to keep snacks, toiletries in. How many of you out there carry an Tri-Star or Aeronaut along with a Co-pilot or Pilot? Which bag should I choose? Is two bag travel manageable? I'm usually pretty out of it after a long international flight, are 2 bags too many to keep track of?

Thanks!!
    eWalker likes this.

It is a bit more work to keep track of two bags (my usual mode of travel, at least for business) but spreading the load between makes carrying much more comfortable and balanced. I use the Tri-Star as a primary bag and it's amazing. Although I don't have a co-pilot, it could be ideal for the minimal overflow items you carry plus it could fit inside the Tri-Star if needed for one bag travel at certain points like going through TSA screening.

Quote Originally Posted by giantsteve View Post
    It is a bit more work to keep track of two bags (my usual mode of travel, at least for business) but spreading the load between makes carrying much more comfortable and balanced. I use the Tri-Star as a primary bag and it's amazing. Although I don't have a co-pilot, it could be ideal for the minimal overflow items you carry plus it could fit inside the Tri-Star if needed for one bag travel at certain points like going through TSA screening.
    Hey giantsteve,

Thanks for the response, I appreciate it. You definitely make some good points regarding 2 bag travel, you read my mind. I tried one bag travel but I always seem to pick up an plastic bag to carry my water and other miscellaneous items. I figured that either a Co-Pilot or Pilot might help me avoid this.

Quote Originally Posted by ykang2375 View Post
    Hey giantsteve,

Thanks for the response, I appreciate it. You definitely make some good points regarding 2 bag travel, you read my mind. I tried one bag travel but I always seem to pick up an plastic bag to carry my water and other miscellaneous items. I figured that either a Co-Pilot or Pilot might help me avoid this.
    I have regularly made use of a 2-bag TB combo: aeronaut and shop bag. I carry the aeronaut in backpack mode and then the shop bag over the shoulder or by the handles depending on the load. I find that it's easy to put the aeronaut in the overhead bin and the shop bag under the seat. Even if you only pulled out the shop bag for the flight and then re-packed it, it's handy to have items at hand, such as a light jacket, headphones, iPad, snacks, water, etc.
    eWalker likes this.

I used the Tri-Star and Pilot together for my trip to Pakistan and Dubai last month, and it worked well. There's a post on the forums with more info.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoz View Post
    I used the Tri-Star and Pilot together for my trip to Pakistan and Dubai last month, and it worked well. There's a post on the forums with more info.
    @jmoz You were carrying a lot more than the 11 pounds -- or even the 13.5 pounds -- that ykang2375 mentions in his post.
    ETA: I don't mean that this combination wouldn't work for @ykang2375 but just that it's also possible to use the combination to carry a lot. If you are shaving down every ounce, you might want to consider the 400d Dyneema versions of the Pilot or Co-Pilot for the organization vs. weight trade off. I'm still curious about the upcoming smaller Aeronaut as a travel bag. The Aeronaut is light relative to its volume, but too large for some instances. I'm mostly using the Tri-Star rather than the Aeronaut.
    Last edited by moriond; 04-29-2014 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post
    I have regularly made use of a 2-bag TB combo: aeronaut and shop bag. I carry the aeronaut in backpack mode and then the shop bag over the shoulder or by the handles depending on the load. I find that it's easy to put the aeronaut in the overhead bin and the shop bag under the seat. Even if you only pulled out the shop bag for the flight and then re-packed it, it's handy to have items at hand, such as a light jacket, headphones, iPad, snacks, water, etc.
    It's funny that you said that kkintea, that idea actually floated around in my head for a second. It would definitely be cheaper but I was leaning more toward the Co-Pilot or Pilot to balance the load from the Tri-Star. I appreciate the suggestion though.

As much as I aspire to one bag travel, it usually winds up being either 2 small bags or one larger bag with 90% of my things and a purse-type bag with things like my phone, wallet, and toiletries. With a lot of my flights I wind up on the smaller regional jets like the CRJs and having two small bags making boarding and finding overhead bin space a lot easier (although I have used the larger bag a few times and taken a packing cube out of it to squish it down size-wise).

Two bags on long flights are fine as long as I remember what's in which bag - I didn't pack as carefully as I could have on my recent longhaul flight when I had the opportunity to grab a shower and clean up at the airline's arrivals lounge and wound up taking a lot out of my bags. If I'd thought about it, I would have done a specific packing cube with a change of clothes and other necessities. Live and learn.

On my upcoming trip, I have packed an aeronaut, and at one of the ends has a PCSB with all our in-flight necessities for my husband and I. I plan to pull out the PCSB and put it under one of our seats. I initially thought about taking a pilot but I don't think we'd use a pilot except on the flight (I also am taking a small purse and a synapse 25 which is packed into the aeronaut to use as a daypack). I like how the PCSB fits perfectly into an end zipper in the aeronaut.

My favorite travel combo is the Tri-Star and Co-Pilot. I put clothes and sundries in the TS and electronics, water and snacks in the CP. I just purchased the Pilot so I can pack a few more things. I will test it on my next trip coming up shortly.

I love my TS.
    Black/Steel TS, Black/Steel A45, Black Dyneema/Wasabi A30, Black/Black/Steel Brain Bag, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Black/Steel Pilot, Black/Steel Synapse 19, Black Dyneema/Wasabi Synapse 19, Black/Steel Cadet 11, Black/Steel Imago, Black Dyneema/Wasabi MCB, Navy/Cayenne and Black/Solar SCB, Black/Wasabi and Navy/Iberian SE and many pouches in various sizes. Tom Bihnaholic.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @jmoz You were carrying a lot more than the 11 pounds -- or even the 13.5 pounds -- that ykang2375 mentions in his post.
    ETA: I don't mean that this combination wouldn't work for @ykang2375 but just that it's also possible to use the combination to carry a lot. If you are shaving down every ounce, you might want to consider the 400d Dyneema versions of the Pilot or Co-Pilot for the organization vs. weight trade off. I'm still curious about the upcoming smaller Aeronaut as a travel bag. The Aeronaut is light relative to its volume, but too large for some instances. I'm mostly using the Tri-Star rather than the Aeronaut.
    Hi moriond, I was looking at the 400d Dyneema version of the Pilot and Co-Pilot, I think the weight savings would definitely be worth it. I love the Tri-Star too, although sometimes I wish ordered the 400d Steel Dyneema version of it. I can't believe they are getting rid of Steel and Nordic 400d Dyneema. It seems like everyone loves Nordic and the Steel Dyneema is a TB staple, not sure why they would discontinue it.

Quote Originally Posted by Leena View Post
    On my upcoming trip, I have packed an aeronaut, and at one of the ends has a PCSB with all our in-flight necessities for my husband and I. I plan to pull out the PCSB and put it under one of our seats. I initially thought about taking a pilot but I don't think we'd use a pilot except on the flight (I also am taking a small purse and a synapse 25 which is packed into the aeronaut to use as a daypack). I like how the PCSB fits perfectly into an end zipper in the aeronaut.
    Huh, that's not a bad idea either with the PCSB. I guess everyone has different ways to deal with in-flight access to necessities.

Quote Originally Posted by Tizi View Post
    My favorite travel combo is the Tri-Star and Co-Pilot. I put clothes and sundries in the TS and electronics, water and snacks in the CP. I just purchased the Pilot so I can pack a few more things. I will test it on my next trip coming up shortly.

I love my TS.
    Hey Tizi, I was debating on either the Co-Pilot or the Pilot. The price difference is so small, I don't want to end up getting the wrong one. I already know that the Co-Pilot fits under a plane seat with ease due to it's size. Definitely post your review of the Pilot when you use it, maybe some pics too!! Thanks!! I love my TS too!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vecturist View Post
    As much as I aspire to one bag travel, it usually winds up being either 2 small bags or one larger bag with 90% of my things and a purse-type bag with things like my phone, wallet, and toiletries. With a lot of my flights I wind up on the smaller regional jets like the CRJs and having two small bags making boarding and finding overhead bin space a lot easier (although I have used the larger bag a few times and taken a packing cube out of it to squish it down size-wise).

Two bags on long flights are fine as long as I remember what's in which bag - I didn't pack as carefully as I could have on my recent longhaul flight when I had the opportunity to grab a shower and clean up at the airline's arrivals lounge and wound up taking a lot out of my bags. If I'd thought about it, I would have done a specific packing cube with a change of clothes and other necessities. Live and learn.
    Haha, I guess one-bag travel is a myth. I appreciate you telling the truth, I have the same issues too. It's easy to second guess your packing skills after your trip, I always try to improve but old habits die hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Vecturist View Post
    As much as I aspire to one bag travel, it usually winds up being either 2 small bags or one larger bag with 90% of my things and a purse-type bag with things like my phone, wallet, and toiletries.
    Same here - I don't think literal one-bag travel really works unless it's a "commute" with a briefcase/messenger bag - you need somewhere safe to put your valuables, and having them loose in your pockets is a hassle at airport security. I tend to go for a roughly 80/20 split (depending on how much I'm taking), with most of my stuff in a main bag and the rest in a Side Effect or similar for safety and easy access.

I recently flew with a budget airline that enforces their one-bag carryon rule very literally, so I took my Western Flyer and filled one half of the front compartment with an ultra-lightweight recycled shopping bag filled with my in-flight essentials, including a tiny leather shoulder bag as my EDC on my weekend trip. Once I boarded the plane, I just pulled out the bag and put my WF in the overhead bin, then clipped the shopping bag to the seat in front with double carabiners. Sorted!
    eWalker likes this.
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0