Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Do light color Cordura fabrics pick up dye?

I am curious whether dye transfer happens from dark color Cordura to light color, such as on the flap of cafe bags. I am sure the light colors show more dirt over time, in general.

I have a Linen/Steel SCB and I haven't seen any dye transfer at all and I use this bag all of the time. I also haven't noticed any dirty spots on the outside of the bag which is the light Linen color.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    I am curious whether dye transfer happens from dark color Cordura to light color, such as on the flap of cafe bags. I am sure the light colors show more dirt over time, in general.
    I've never seen this happen. The Cordura material seems pretty dye-fast. I have some small organizer pouches that were made in their custom periwinkle ripstop nylon that I've used a lot, and the color of that material have faded a bit more than for Cordura. These were specialty fabrics that they used to use in small quantities,

@Moosezilla: can you post a few pictures of the linen color?

Edit: I'm wondering how the color holds up, as compared to stock photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kkintea; 04-28-2014 at 10:43 AM.
    Favorite: Steel/Steel LS * Latest: Nordic/Solar S25 * Wishlist: New 400d Color

Volunteer Moderator
    @GoStanford I do recall a thread about dye transfer from denim jeans to Cordura bags, but the jeans in question transferred dye to other fabrics, as well, and came with warnings about pre-washing, etc. Here's the thread:
    Linen Cafe Bag - Denim stains?

Also, I noticed that you posted a question about carrying chlorine-damp items in Cordura and Dyneema bags. I don't have any experience in that sort of long-term usage.

@kkintea There are some posts of linen in the Describe linen thread, including a Cafe Bag image that Darcy posted, but I think there are also other recent images in the forums

moriond

ETA: Oops, didn't see your Edit: "Edit: I'm wondering how the color holds up, as compared to stock photos."

The 'describe linen' thread was enough to sway me. I just hope I don't spill on it.

Long story short: I overestimated my load-to-bag ratio with the MCB. I really need the SCB, but there's no black parapack option (my first choice). So now I'm stepping out on steel for linen.

And there you have it. Fingers crossed.

All my Cafe Bags have dark color lining, the ones which I have used the most showed the most dirt over time.

It is nothing that a nice bath or shower in cold water, a nice scrub with eco-friendly dish soap, the one used for hand washing dishes, cannot clean.

I don't like to treat my TB bags roughly but my 3 oldest Cafe Bags suffered spills, one has a very light Storm exterior which is similar to French Blue but with a grey undertone.

I had to use a toothbrush to lather some the stained areas with extra dish soap, which cleaned everything right up.

Forum member, Dorayme, once, had to clean a badly stained Azalea/Sapphire Cafe Bag and it came out of its deep cleaning session swinging and as beautiful as ever.

Storm and Azalea are lighter than their Sapphire lining, no color transfer, even after being the target of drops of either coffee or soda or both, which were not cleaned right away. I also found that the bottom of the Storm bag was slightly darker on one side, which was only visible in bright sunlight.

I proceded to the deep cleaning described above, set the Storm/Saphire Small Cafe Bag to dry in a rack exposed to a sunny window and was so pleased with the result that I proceeded to inspect my EDC Cordura Bags and cleaned them in the same manner.

The sunlight helped spot nearly invisible stains and assured prompt drying time.

Air drying isn't that fast, and obviously increase with the size of the bag, it is better to choose a sunny day, some time before a planned trip to alleviate, the "dried just in time" conundrum that one forum member got himself/herself into when she/he decided to wash the Aeronaut right before a trip.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0