Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By kkintea
  • 1 Post By kkintea

Thread: Swift and little swift

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    401

    Swift and little swift

    This question is prompted by some responses in the reading/carrying thread. What do you carry in your swift versus little swift, and for a non knitter, what would be the strengths of each bag? I did order a Swift but then returned it as I wanted something for cross body carry and with more private pockets or compartments. Now I have some pouches that could serve that function.

  2. #2
    Registered User terayon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Posts
    185
    I don't have a Little Swift, but I do have the big one, which I use to hold basically all of my knitting stuff plus whatever project is coming to knit night. For a non-knitter, I would think of this as the tote-style equivalent of the Smart Alec - a big open space that can accommodate big loads or weird (or non-flat, at least) shapes, or can be sub-divided using pouches/organizer cubes/packing cubes. The Swift is a pretty big bag - you could easily pack lunch, a full change of clothes, plus a book and an iPad with charger.

  3. #3
    Registered User Moose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downeast Maine
    Posts
    870
    I have a Swift. It carries my Field Journal, Side Effect, Kit, coffee kit, stitching project, small stuff sack, pen & pencil pouch, checkbook, daily mail, I'm sure you get the idea. It holds a LOT of stuff. It took me awhile to get used to the open top style but I have everything of importance clipped in. I can also cross two long key straps across the top in an X formation to keep things from falling out. I've been real happy with it. I love the kiwi color too.
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

  4. #4
    Registered User kkintea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    450
    Right now I have 29 folders (student papers), a side effect, my keys, a knitting pouch full of red pens....and room for more in the Swift. In the LS yesterday, I carried a side effect and 3 shop bags for a grocery outing. I ordered a second LS for a camera bag after overestimating the MCB and figuring out it's easier to take things in and out in the LS. I swear by both these bags!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Registered User bunchgrass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Shrub Steppe
    Posts
    158
    One of the major differences between the Swift and LS is that you can carry file folders upright in the Swift. Right now in my Swift I have a folder with papers, a 100+ page technical note, a TT with knitting project and my SE, and there is still space on top for a sweater or light jacket. I use my Swift more frequently than the LS because it holds papers better.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Florida (near the beach!)
    Posts
    225
    I have both bags. If I could only choose one, however, it would hands down be the Swift as it is so versatile. It will handle a huge load. My Little Swift I view more as a purse. In it I carry my Side Effect, a size 1 Travel Stuff Sack, my Kindle, and perhaps a small knitting project or spindling project. I could fit my iPad in it, but if I need to carry my iPad I prefer to use either my Swift, Synapse 19, or Pilot.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    401
    Thank you all for these responses - I've been reading older threads as well to learn more about the capabilities of Swift vs. Little Swift. I am contemplating a Dyneema Swift, though I understand that may compromise the rigidity and let it flop over a bit when it is not full. That's OK with me as I am looking to reduce the weight of the bag where possible. I like the flexibility of the larger size Swift for stuffing in jackets, etc. I am impressed with the skills many in the forums have for packing very accurately to fit specific pouches/pockets/bags. Knowing myself, though, I end up most days with more stuff that I started (mail, library books, layers, lunch detritus) and I do need something flexible I can toss everything into. Currently I keep an empty tote bag with me at most times to hold all this extra gear that piles up over the course of the day. I usually like natural fabrics, but I am very impressed with the Dyneema capabilities and the colors are just beautiful.

  8. #8
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    2,344
    Quote Originally Posted by bunchgrass View Post
    One of the major differences between the Swift and LS is that you can carry file folders upright in the Swift. Right now in my Swift I have a folder with papers, a 100+ page technical note, a TT with knitting project and my SE, and there is still space on top for a sweater or light jacket. I use my Swift more frequently than the LS because it holds papers better.
    You can carry papers in the Little Swift, but I'd use these old Levenger file briefs to hold the papers, and they do stick up above the height of the bag. (I've been using the oldest of these folders since I had my original Tom Bihn Buzz sling backpack from when I first joined the forums):
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398037541.169440.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  105.8 KB

    There are about 5 folders transferred from my Synapse 19. There are two full size iPads sitting in separate caches behind the folders, and another Side Effect in front of the folders in front of the folders, just as a test pack of capacity. The 400d Black/Wasabi Dyneema Side in front of the Little Swift in Hemp is holding my iPad Mini and Kindle Paperwhite.

    The full size Swift can hold a ton more -- especially if you load it up with heavy books. I generally prefer to carry that sort of weight in backpack mode in my Synapse, but I have done this with either a Swift or the Lux bag (Swift predecessor).

    moriond

  9. #9
    Registered User kkintea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    Thank you all for these responses - I've been reading older threads as well to learn more about the capabilities of Swift vs. Little Swift. I am contemplating a Dyneema Swift, though I understand that may compromise the rigidity and let it flop over a bit when it is not full. That's OK with me as I am looking to reduce the weight of the bag where possible. I like the flexibility of the larger size Swift for stuffing in jackets, etc. I am impressed with the skills many in the forums have for packing very accurately to fit specific pouches/pockets/bags. Knowing myself, though, I end up most days with more stuff that I started (mail, library books, layers, lunch detritus) and I do need something flexible I can toss everything into. Currently I keep an empty tote bag with me at most times to hold all this extra gear that piles up over the course of the day. I usually like natural fabrics, but I am very impressed with the Dyneema capabilities and the colors are just beautiful.
    The Black Dyneema/Iberian Little Swift is making its way to me and on Wednesday I will be able to do a Ballistic vs. Dyneema comparison. (As an aside, on Friday the NORDIC TRAVEL TRAY arrives, and I will also post glorious photos of it as well). I ordered the Dyneema LS to be travel friendly and be packable inside another bag (i.e., Aeronaut or Tristar) for use at the destination. In the LS, I am not worried too much about the 'Dyneema Droop Effect' because the bag is vastly smaller than its full size Swift counterpart. But perhaps someone with a LS in multiple fabrics might comment?
    Ilkyway likes this.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    401
    Well, I had some stuff pending on an order so I went ahead and ordered the Swift in black Dyneema/Iberian with some matching Iberian accessories. I was motivated by a picture in the Flickr stream of a cork Swift with Iberian interior and accessories.

    I was deciding between that color scheme and Nordic/Steel. There was a beautiful photo of Swift with Nordic exterior posted recently. But I decided to stick with Black Dyneema exterior to match my SCB for now.

    Does anybody know if the steel Dyneema for the Swift exterior is 200d or 400d?

  11. #11
    Registered User kkintea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    450
    Somewhere there is a photo of the black Dyneema LS with the black Dyneema pilot. @moriond or @walker maybe posted it.

    I recently sold the steel Dyneema bag and I feel like it didn't keep its shape like the Nordic swift. I can't say for sure if it was 200 or 400. There's just something special with Nordic :-)


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    2,344
    Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post
    Somewhere there is a photo of the black Dyneema LS with the black Dyneema pilot. @moriond or @walker maybe posted it.
    @kkintea

    There's a photo of the Little Swift in Black Dyneema/Iberian that @Walker posted

    HTH moriond.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    495
    Late to the party again story of my life these days

    @GoStanford, how do you like your new Swift?

    I had a cork then a ballistic steel Swift - both of which went on to new homes.

    In both, I kept a PCSB tethered to the O-rings on both ends with a key strap as a security pocket.

    I just placed an order for shop bags + 2 Swifts - 1 420d navy/navy/Iberian & 1 aubergine. One of them will go back.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    401
    Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    @GoStanford, how do you like your new Swift?
    I like it but haven't used it yet! The Dyneema is so pretty and the bag looks like it will hold everything I accumulate on weekend outings.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    495
    I have the LS in black dyneema/iberian. It is very pretty. I like it a lot.


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0