Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Books/binders in pilots?

Books/binders in pilots?

I have searched the forum and have not had luck answering this question. Can someone please link to a thread if I missed it or offer advice?

I am looking at using the pilot as an edc for work. I am wondering what width of binder would fit. Have there been any pics of binders and/or books in the pilot?

I would also be interested in opinions on using the cadet for this purpose.
    Thank you!
    Last edited by ShelShel; 04-18-2014 at 07:48 PM.

Staying close to home,
    The Field Journal Notebook by Tom Bihn, (3 ring) fits very nicely in the big pocket in the Pilot and Co - Pilot as well..

I know that's not the answer u were looking for, but I felt it was needed to be said.

I carry a standard 3-ring binder full of 8.5x11 sheets in my Pilot most days —*in the large back pocket. It fits perfectly (I could probably fit two if I flipped one's orientation and nested it in the other), and feels like it's what the Pilot was designed for!

@ShelShel
    1' US letter binder fits Co-Pilot main compartment, but there is no chance to close zippers.

It turns out that I don't have many binders at home; the only one I can find is a 1". I've posted a picture of that along with a hardcover book (a moment of silence, please, for Garcia Marquez). This fits quite well in my Pilot.
    Name:  IMG_20140419_121021119.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  281.5 KB

Because that doesn't give much of an idea of thickness, I've also included a picture with two well-known hardcover books (from my wife's collection, I swear!) to give a sense of what would fit reasonably.
    Name:  IMG_20140419_120823781.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  263.5 KB

(For those who are unfamiliar, those books together are ~4" thick, or 10cm for our metric friends.)
    Last edited by jmoz; 04-19-2014 at 10:21 AM. Reason: should mention this is a Pilot, NOT a CP.

Harry Potter is good for ALL, not just wives!!

Thank you all for the replies! It is greatly appreciated.

jmoz- Thank you for the pictures! Based on reviews and videos, I had decided the cadet was the way to go, but now it looks like the pilot would fit the bill perfectly as well.

Now I just need to make a final decision between the cadet and pilot....

Wow @jmoz what great timing in paying last respects to the outstanding Gabriel García Márquez. I believe you 100% that Harry Potter's collection is your wive's, because if you read García Márquez, there is absolutely no way you'd read Harry Potter.

Cheers

Au contraire, Peruvian.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Hmmm. I started reading Gabo's books over 30 years ago and I've read all of them, but I also read all the HP series as it was coming out and I loved it. They are certainly not mutually exclusive, and I am one of those who reads about 4 books per week, from science fiction, to magical realism, to science, to fantasy, to steampunk, to history.

Also, all genres fit well in TB bags.
    Last edited by yohopee; 04-20-2014 at 05:35 AM.
    LCB, S19, SE, Co-Pilot, wallet, pouches

I REALLY didn't mean to start this. I am a voracious reader, and my reading ranges from low-brow to high. I actually did not read the HP books, but that's only because I listened to them on CD with my wife. Jim Dale could read the phone book and it would be compelling. (Note that I am complimenting Jim Dale and NOT comparing Harry Potter to the phone book.)

Ha, ha! Books are great companions. I always carry my Kobo, but I tend to stop at book shops throughout the week to buy more books. TB bags do make it easier to carry more stuff around and not even give it a second thought. I must have a problem.

Your photos were very informative for dimension visualization. We may just have to start a "Current carry - Current read" thread. Passions would really arise then.
    LCB, S19, SE, Co-Pilot, wallet, pouches

I believe there are many great books in the world that are great for different reasons. Whatever you read, enjoy it and share it! And don't look down on others for their choices-book snobbery is a silly thing. There are comic books with amazing characters and stories that teach us truths about the world and ourselves. Reading, to me, is about learning how others experience the world we all share.

[QUOTE=yohopee;62932 We may just have to start a "Current carry - Current read" thread. Passions would really arise then. [/QUOTE]

Your wish is my command: Currently carrying; currently reading

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    yohopee likes this.

Yes, I agree with everyone. For lack of a better comparison, I'll say books are like food. There are many different types and fans of them all in different degrees. That's the beauty of it. I really did not intend to "put down" the Harry Potter series (let alone its readers), I was just trying to emphasize the difference in genres; but again, that's the beauty of life and what makes the world go-round.

Very Happy Easter to all you fine folks of this great forum!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0