Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Packing cubes

Packing cubes

Heading to Ireland in a little over a week and realized I need to order some cubes! I have an Aeronaut (new and never used!)and since the small packing cubes are out of stock...thought one large, one end, and maybe a quarter cube and any other suggestions? We will be there for two weeks with hiking on the menu so I was planning on wearing my nicer boots and packing the hiking ones. Thanks for any help!

Sounds like your trip will be amazing!

I had the same issue when I first got my Aeronaut, and ended up being grateful that I didn't get a small one, actually. I use one large cube, one end cube, and travel stuff sacks (mine is actually a knitting sack because I liked the hook on the side). I use the sack for clean undergarments on the way over and dirty ones on the way home. I use a travel tray to carry my cords and tuck that in as well. I use the 3D cube for my liquids, and a Sea to Summit toiletry bag that I had from before that also tucks on top. The end cube holds my extra shoes, and the other side holds various items I didn't need to put into another bag, eg, sometimes the toiletry bag, or a camera, etc. I like the flexibility of having the stuff sack and other squishable shapes to work with on the top. Hope this helps!
    eWalker likes this.
    Indigo/Solar Western Flyer, Aubergine/Steel Tri Star, Nordic/Steel Aeronaut, Indigo/Solar Synapse, Cocoa/Wasabi Small Cafe Bag, Black/Wasabi Small Cafe Bag, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Aubergine/Hemp/Steel Imago, Wasabi Dyneema and Nordic Dyneema Small Shop Bags, Solar Dyneema and Nordic Dyneema Large Shop Bags, Indigo, Wasabi Dyneema, and Plum 3D Organizer Cubes, Wasabi Dyneema Travel Tray, Wasabi Dyneema Large Yarn Stuff Sack, Small, Mini and Pen/Pencil Pouches, an assortment of key straps

Quote Originally Posted by dwright17 View Post
    Sounds like your trip will be amazing!

I had the same issue when I first got my Aeronaut, and ended up being grateful that I didn't get a small one, actually. I use one large cube, one end cube, and travel stuff sacks (mine is actually a knitting sack because I liked the hook on the side). I use the sack for clean undergarments on the way over and dirty ones on the way home. I use a travel tray to carry my cords and tuck that in as well. I use the 3D cube for my liquids, and a Sea to Summit toiletry bag that I had from before that also tucks on top. The end cube holds my extra shoes, and the other side holds various items I didn't need to put into another bag, eg, sometimes the toiletry bag, or a camera, etc. I like the flexibility of having the stuff sack and other squishable shapes to work with on the top. Hope this helps!
    This helps tremendously! I had been thinking of the stuff sacks too. And the travel tray altho it says they are backordered as well? Hmm. I could call because it looks like one color is available.

Instead of buying simple Large and End Pocket Packing Cubes, I buy Packing Cube Backpacks and Packing Cube Shoulder Bags because they can be color coded and be used as ultra lightweight Backpacks and Shoulder Bags at the destination.

I believe the Clear Quarter Packing Cube might be the same dimensions as the Quarter Packing Cube, but it has a fabric separation that enable the two clear pockets configurations.

The 3D Cube is the dimension of one pocket of the Clear Quarter Packing Cube, it is very handy if you have a lot of small things to bring with you that need a bag with a zipper to make sure they stay put.

For foundation garments, I don't think there is much better than the Travel Stuff Sacks.
    I bought an extra size one to carry my iPad/iPhone charger.

Don't forget the Travel Tray, after one trip too many forgetting things on an hotel bathroom counter or dresser, forum members asked Tom for a solution.

After the Travel Tray was introduced, I forgot to order it for long trip with multiple hotels stops in different European countries.
    We had lots of electronics with respective chargers and it was very challenging.

I ordered one in the next order after that very trip. It is very handy, even at home.

Don't forget a pair of flip-flop to walk those hotel carpets.
    eWalker likes this.

Like dwright, I use one end and one large cube in my Aeronaut, along with a bunch of size 1 and 2 stuff sacks and 1-2 3D cubes. I would say that if you are also bringing a dedicated bag for hiking, you probably don't need or want the extra fabric of the PCBP, though ymmv. (I do have a PCBP for my TS, but almost never take it unless I know for a fact I'll need a light backpack in situ. However, I'm weird and enjoy carrying nothing but what fits in my pockets if I can help it.)

If the Travel Tray colors in stock are not to your liking, you can do what I do: get the stuff sack of your choice in size 2 or 3, and then fold over the top like a cuff when you need a makeshift place to hold stuff. It works for me! I'm sure I will succumb and get a TT eventually, but sacks get the job done.

Have fun in Ireland! It's totally my favorite country in the world and I simply do not get to visit there as often as I would like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Besides the Side Effect, organizer pouches (clear or Dyneema, size small) were star performers on my recent trip to Europe. I could put smaller items (like "dry" toiletries or medicine blister packs) in those and line the edges of my bag with little added bulk.

Size 2 Knitting pouch is ideal for sporks or extra pens. The Size 4 knitting pouch worked well for cords and adapters.

My friend in Dublin is always sending me info on Irish travel. Hope to get there soon.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Don't forget the Travel Tray, after one trip too many forgetting things on an hotel bathroom counter or dresser, forum members asked Tom for a solution.
    How exactly does the tray work? I can't figure it out from the website listing. It looks like the piping holds its shape and there is a drawstring to cinch it shut, scooping up the contents at the same time. Does the top fold down to form a cuff?

Yes, the top part folds down to form a cuff and give a little extra support to the piping frame to keep the fabric in the bowl shape. You can unfold the cuff and make it into a sack for the contents by pulling the drawstring shut. I love using them for knitting in addition to travel bc of this set up
    My TB family:
    A45 in black/iberian, black/steel • BB • S25 in black dyneema • S19 in black/iberian • LCB in steel parapack/iberian • CP in navy ballistic/solar • Swift in steel dyneema • LS in Aubergine • SE in steel 400d dyneema, nordic dyneema/solar, solar • TTs • various pouches/key straps/YSSs • iPad mini cache • LSBs, SSBs • PCSB, A45 PCBP in Nordic dyneema • 360mm Quiver •

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Instead of buying simple Large and End Pocket Packing Cubes, I buy Packing Cube Backpacks and Packing Cube Shoulder Bags because they can be color coded and be used as ultra lightweight Backpacks and Shoulder Bags at the destination.
    ^This, so much this! You should order at least one of each. I use both so much and am looking forward to the 400d dyneema versions! The backpack gets used for everything from walking to the grocery store to ice climbing. Most of the time the packing cube shoulder bag gets used as my shower bag with some sort of side effect and/or 3D cube combination key-strapped to it with my toiletries. A small pack towel lives in the front zippered pocket and when it comes time to shower I stuff fresh socks, underwear, and shirt inside the cube and if I want to bring fresh pants I will pull out the side effect/3D cube and clip it into one of the strap Ds and carry it by the keystraps.

Thank you so much, everyone! This has really helped! I hadn't even thought of the organizer pouches or the Side Effect. Putting my order in today and will update with some photos when I'm packing! And I have heard that about Ireland being a place to return to time and again. We are going to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary! Can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by wyvernsea View Post
    And I have heard that about Ireland being a place to return to time and again. We are going to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary! Can't wait.
    It is! Congratulations, and I am sure you'll make it back before your 50th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reading this post I got curious about the sacks and went to see their sizes and volumes and compare then to the packing cubes. In the process I realized something else... if you go for the larger cubes, the Aeronaut fits 2 large cubes in the main space and 2 end pockets cubes on the extremities.

Now, let´s do the math... each large cube is 12 L and each end cube is 5 L, that is 2*12 + 2*5 = 24 + 10 = 34 L

The Aeronaut´s volume is 45 L, so using only the cubes there is 11 L slack space!

Is this right?
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

Quote Originally Posted by eWalker View Post
    Reading this post I got curious about the sacks and went to see their sizes and volumes and compare then to the packing cubes. In the process I realized something else... if you go for the larger cubes, the Aeronaut fits 2 large cubes in the main space and 2 end pockets cubes on the extremities.

Now, let´s do the math... each large cube is 12 L and each end cube is 5 L, that is 2*12 + 2*5 = 24 + 10 = 34 L

The Aeronaut´s volume is 45 L, so using only the cubes there is 11 L slack space!

Is this right?
    Did you take into account the pocket on the inside of the main pocket flap and the outside pockets on the outer parts of the end pockets? When I used my packing cubes to fill the Aeronaut, I found that I still had some wiggle room in each compartment to shove some other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Moosezilla View Post
    Did you take into account the pocket on the inside of the main pocket flap and the outside pockets on the outer parts of the end pockets? When I used my packing cubes to fill the Aeronaut, I found that I still had some wiggle room in each compartment to shove some other things.
    I never used packing cubes with my aeronaut, so I could´t tell... but if you see the packing cubes volumes are kind of confusing...

For example Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack is 16L and Aeronaut Large Packing Cube is 12L. Western Flyer Packing Cube is 18 L and WF/TS Large cube is only 10L!

I thought Aeronaut packing cube backpack was larger then WF/TS... that I didn´t expected!
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

Are you just judging by volume or actual dimensions in inches? That could also make up in the discrepancies you are seeing when it comes to how much volume the different cubes hold.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0