Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Yoda Sloth
  • 1 Post By Yoda Sloth
  • 1 Post By Tlacltme

Thread: Co-Pilot shoulder strap chemical smell - your experience?

Co-Pilot shoulder strap chemical smell - your experience?

Opted to give the Co-Pilot a second try but in all-Dyneema this time, since flexibility of the ballistic nylon was an issue for me the first time around. Both that time and now, I'm noticing that the bag and/or the standard shoulder strap have a strong chemical smell. Does that go away with time? I'm contemplating opening up all the zippers and off-gassing it over the weekend before I even try to load it up.

Wow, the Dyneema makes a huge difference in flexibility of the pockets! I was tempted to go for the Pilot, but the few comments on how the back pocket sags open sometimes made me shy away for now.

Once I hear about your experience with the chemical smell, I will figure out whether to keep the Co-Pilot.

I just got a new Pilot and there's a bit of an odor; it's already dissipating so I think you shouldn't worry. If you can air it out outside for a few hours I think that would do it.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think of my Pilot back pocket as "having enough room to actually put things in it" vs. "sagging open". Just my view

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda Sloth View Post
    I think of my Pilot back pocket as "having enough room to actually put things in it" vs. "sagging open". Just my view
    True - I may have been inaccurate when I paraphrased. Sorry about that! I haven't tried the Pilot myself so I have no personal experience to draw upon with regard to the back pocket.

No worries - we all have different views of bag "features". For some people, I am sure it feels insecure. But, for me, I like it! I will discover that I have slipped my iPad, notebook, several stacks of 3x5 cards and a bag of almonds in it w/o even thinking. I don't seem to notice until I go looking for something and find it all stashed in that back pocket...

Try a scented clothes dryer sheet in it. Works great for traveling and the dresser drawer at home!

My new Western Flyer was a little stinky when it arrived, too.

I recommend putting your bag or strap outside in the sun for an hour or two to take care of the odor.

I've never had any kind of "off" smell in or on any of my bags. Could it be from shipping?
    Moose
    Last edited by Moose; 04-11-2014 at 05:40 PM.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Tee hee- I'm embarrassed to admit that I like the smell of the standard strap. To me it smells new
    Rocks likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0