Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Choices, choices.

Choices, choices.

I don't really have a question or comment. I just want to write out what's on my mind.

It's time to replace my Aeronaut. I have three more trips planned for the 6 months and one will be a family trip. I'll need an Aeronaut's capacity for hauling Matchbox cars and Lego and gummy bears.

The problem is that I can't visualize a color scheme that will make me happy in the long run. I like my bags to match, or at least coordinate. I would dearly love a Navy/Ultraviolet Aeronaut. I ask for one every once in a while. The answer is always something to the tune of, "Not likely but I won't rule it out." I think I'll proceed to a second choice and in the unlikely event that a Navy/UV Aeronaut becomes available, I'll replace this one. But first I have to actually buy this one. Gaaaa!

I've cycled through a few options. My first idea was Black/Steel to match my Pilot and Smart Alec. This is still a solid contender. My second idea was Black Dyneema/Solar, but alas - they don't make that combo. Then I thought about Navy/Solar. Then Steel/UV. Then I pined for Navy/UV some more. Gaaaaaa!

Then I considered Steel Dyneema/Wasabi. Hmmmmm. I have a Steel Dyneema/Wasabi Side Effect that I adore. It's my PLO and has been pretty much since I got it. I ordered two other Side Effects since then; the first was rehomed and the second, Olive Parapack/UV, is nice but so far unused. I just can't put the Steel Dyneema/Wasabi Side Effect aside. It pains me to try, just like it pains me to try to use another backpack instead of my Navy/UV Synapse 25.

The main thing I like about the Side Effect is the size/shape. It's fabulous. But part of what I like about the Side Effect is also the Steel exterior. It's neither too dark nor too light. The Wasabi interior is a nice cheery contrast. But some color combos look better on small bags and some fine on larger ones. I wonder if the Steel Dyneema/Wasabi combo will be one of those small-only ones. GAAAAAA!

I'm in the right place to agonize over color choices, I know. You guys totally understand.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Janine, The steel/UV Aeronaut is gorgeous!... Not to gum up the works here....then you could use steel and wasabi dyneema organizational stuff. Steel/wasabi could be interesting, but there is always a chance that the combo will be meh. You seem to like high contrast the best. So do I, and like you, I have an enduring love for my steel dyneema/wasabi SE. Because of that love affair, I purchased the same color combo for my S25....and now I kind of regret that I didn't go for something with a little more oomph...but maybe matching pieces is more important.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    It's time to replace my Aeronaut.
    me<- not understand.
    Do you mean you have worn out an Aeronaut such that it needs replacing?
    I wasn't aware such a thing was possible!
    A45 C/S TS N/S A30 A/W BB N/S S19 N/S P N/S CP B/S; SE W SCB C/O CQPC I,S Ri A/S 3DCC C,F TSS4 W K C TT S,N,B CC C/S PCBP S PP N QK F,C,A

It's time to replace my Aeronaut.
    What thought process did you go through? How would somebody determine that? Are you one of those QVC/HSN carboard box hording baby boomer women? Are you collecting TB box art? It's never time to replace TB. Upgrade maybe, but not replace. It's not like car tires that expire in 5 years. TB is good for life. Color matching? That's what the rest of the luggage world has done over the past number of decades with black. Create your own dilemma I guess with agonizing over the colors a second go-round. Good luck with that!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulT00 View Post
    me<- not understand.
    Do you mean you have worn out an Aeronaut such that it needs replacing?
    I wasn't aware such a thing was possible!
    Oh my google, I can't imagine what it would take to wear out a TB bag!

I rehomed it. It was in a retired color that looked better, IMO, in smaller doses. I'm glad I had it, though, because it cemented my thoughts about how I like to pack and what size bag suits me best. It's time to pick a color scheme that suits me better!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

I think Janine had an Aeronaut which she sold and now need to replace it with another.

Steel is a gorgeous color in every TB fabric, I consider it, its signature neutral.

I think that it stands the test of time as well as black and it looks better as an accessory with clothes in soft colors.

It is also easier to spot, should one need to check it, for example, on a bus tour. Or inside the crowded airport shuttles.
    Last edited by backpack; 04-10-2014 at 08:57 AM.
    kkintea likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post
    What thought process did you go through? How would somebody determine that? Are you one of those QVC/HSN carboard box hording baby boomer women? Are you collecting TB box art? It's never time to replace TB. Upgrade maybe, but not replace. It's not like car tires that expire in 5 years. TB is good for life. Color matching? That's what the rest of the luggage world has done over the past number of decades with black. Create your own dilemma I guess with agonizing over the colors a second go-round. Good luck with that!
    I'm replacing a bag I sold that was a color scheme that no longer suited me. What's with the comments about hoarding? Creating my own dilemma? People post similar comments about selecting a bag style. Choosing a color combo is just as big a decision for some people.

I have the steel Dyneema/wasabi Aeronaut that is in the running. What picture would win you over? :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Favorite: Steel/Steel LS * Latest: Coyote LS * Wishlist: New 400d Color

Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    Janine, The steel/UV Aeronaut is gorgeous!... Not to gum up the works here....then you could use steel and wasabi dyneema organizational stuff. Steel/wasabi could be interesting, but there is always a chance that the combo will be meh. You seem to like high contrast the best. So do I, and like you, I have an enduring love for my steel dyneema/wasabi SE. Because of that love affair, I purchased the same color combo for my S25....and now I kind of regret that I didn't go for something with a little more oomph...but maybe matching pieces is more important.
    I love Ultraviolet as an interior color! And yes, I do like contrast! I have been eyeballing the Steel Ballistic/UV pictures. I think I might like Dyneema better, though. I really like the texture and weight of the Dyneema fabric. But Ballistic would help the Aeronaut keep its shape better when stuffed haphazardly with soft items, which I am likely to do. I really wish I lived close enough to visit the factory. I think an hour looking at Aeronauts in person would save me hours/days/weeks of contemplation. (Not like the contemplation is unpleasant, of course. I do enjoy dreaming about taking trips with this bag or that. $250 is a significant amount to me and I want spend wisely.)

One of the reasons I like Wasabi as an interior color is that it looks so striking with Iberian, and I have a lot of Iberian Dyneema. It also looks great with Ultraviolet so I could do the reverse of the combination you suggested. I find that I don't like Wasabi accessories as much as I like the UV and Iberian ones.

As far as matching goes, I generally prefer my bags to look alike but sometimes a bag in one particular combo takes your breath away and you know it will be a long-term friend. That's how I feel about my Navy/UV S25 and Steel Dyneema/Wasabi SE. Matching either one of them, I think, would be a good choice for me. Steel Dyneema/Ultraviolet might be a great bridge between the two...but that's yet another color combo that isn't available. GAAAAAAA!

I looked at my Steel Dyneema stuff again this morning and thought to myself, "Wow, that truly is classy. I could live happily ever after with it." But all mine is the 200d. I don't have a sample of 400d Steel! Maybe it would make me crazy. I should probably ask Customer Service to send me a sample!

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Steel is a gorgeous color in every TB fabric, I consider it, its signature neutral.
    "Signature neutral" - that sums up my feelings, too! It's subtle and complex and utterly gorgeous.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    I love Ultraviolet as an interior color!
    Me too! I guess that's why I was especially excited yesterday to see a sample of the new smaller Aeronaut in Steel/Ultraviolet. Looks amazing. Hoping I'll be able to show you guys in early May…
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Me too! I guess that's why I was especially excited yesterday to see a sample of the new smaller Aeronaut in Steel/Ultraviolet. Looks amazing. Hoping I'll be able to show you guys in early May…
    Can we vote on color pairs as if the mininaut was available for pre-order....?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Favorite: Steel/Steel LS * Latest: Coyote LS * Wishlist: New 400d Color

Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post
    Can we vote on color pairs as if the mininaut was available for pre-order....?
    Does the outside of the bag have to be all one color fabric?

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post
    Does the outside of the bag have to be all one color fabric?
    If the mini Aeronaut is a smaller version of the current Aeronaut design, I don't know if it lends itself to more than one color on the exterior.

I feel your color dilemma! Navy is my favorite ballistic color; I have a navy/Iberian Copilot that I just love looking at. I have a steel dyneema/UV Synapse 25 that I bought more for the UV interior than the steel exterior. The heavier steel dyneema is a bit darker than the lightweight fabric. My Aeronaut color choice was made for me when I saw a great one on ebay that I couldn't pass up: black ballistic/steel. I call it the Black Hole. I think it's so classy and cool looking. I can get my color fix with accessories, but I actually want a black dyneema PCBP for it. Then its black-holeness would be complete!

I'd pass on steel ballistic, even though it has a UV interior. How about steel dyneema/steel? Then you could get your favorite color PCBP and it would be like a custom color combination. Unless wasabi is your favorite, then just get the steel dyneema/wasabi. Problem solved!! Glad I could help.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0