Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 31 to 41 of 41
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Choices, choices.

  1. #31
    Registered User scribe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    820
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Scribe, given the fact that you are overseas, litterally, and that SE colors pairs rotate and disapear at the drop of a hat, getting both makes sense.

    It makes even more sense that you could, maybe, one day, swap one of the color with a fellow European for a color that you like even more.

    Remember that TB bags are investments.
    All good points!

    I like the idea of a black SE because the strap is black & I think that looks a bit smarter - but I have a nice black leather "baglett" from the Healthy Back Bag Company, quite similar in size to the SE, for when I need something more traditional-looking than nylon. I want the second SE for travel, so that I don't have to take my olive one which I now mentally associate with work

    I might wait until my black/wasabi Western Flyer arrives next Tuesday (!) and decide which travel bag I most want my next SE to coordinate with, or whether to break out of my green/purple rut and go for the black/iberian after all...
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

  2. #32
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    2,501
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Aubergine/UV and Steel/UV are my very favorite pairs in Ballistic, they are in long term wish list or short term one, if they are ever offered in a Little Swift or Swift.
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Scribe, given the fact that you are overseas, litterally, and that SE colors pairs rotate and disapear at the drop of a hat, getting both makes sense.

    It makes even more sense that you could, maybe, one day, swap one of the color with a fellow European for a color that you like even more.

    Remember that TB bags are investments.
    @backpack Personally, I'm waiting for @scribe to ask you whether you're ordering the SE in Aubergine/UV now that this combination has just made its appearance as a color option.
    Janine likes this.

  3. #33
    Registered User scribe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    820
    *lol* I'd spotted that colour combo in the listings, but hadn't put two and two together!

    I confess I'm now a little tempted by aubergine/wasabi as well - though aubergine/UV is a little too purple for my tastes!
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

  4. #34
    Registered User kkintea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    475
    First up: Aeronaut












    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    * Favorite TB: Steel Little Swift * Latest TB: Nordic/Solar Synapse 25 * 2014 Wishlist: New 400d Color

  5. #35
    Registered User kkintea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    475
    Second: Ballistic Steel (Tri-Star)

    A little bit tougher, because the lining of this bag is solar (not on the short list). But, you can see the different Dyneemas next to the ballistic fabric.








    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    * Favorite TB: Steel Little Swift * Latest TB: Nordic/Solar Synapse 25 * 2014 Wishlist: New 400d Color

  6. #36
    Registered User monkeylady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Puget Sound region
    Posts
    838
    Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post
    Second: Ballistic Steel (Tri-Star)

    A little bit tougher, because the lining of this bag is solar (not on the short list). But, you can see the different Dyneemas next to the ballistic fabric.








    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you so much for posting your pix. They are very helpful. I've never been a big solar fan (although I own a solar TT for practical reasons), but the/solar combo is a knockout! Yummy!
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

  7. #37
    Registered User Janine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Lexington KY USA
    Posts
    996
    @kkintea, your pictures are wonderful! Thank you thank you thank you for posting them!

    I think I'm in love with your Steel Dyneema/Wasabi Aeronaut. Steel Ballistic is nice too, but the Dyneema looks fabulous with Ultraviolet accessories. I think you might have solved all my problems with your camera.

    Well...all the old problems. Now I have a new one. Did the zippers change on the Aeronaut? Are all bags getting the gunmetal pulls now? Do any bags still get the old black splashproof zippers that I know and love?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

  8. #38
    Registered User Yoda Sloth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    86
    [QUOTE=Janine;62292]I love Ultraviolet as an interior color! And yes, I do like contrast! I have been eyeballing the Steel Ballistic/UV pictures. I think I might like Dyneema better, though. I really like the texture and weight of the Dyneema fabric. But Ballistic would help the Aeronaut keep its shape better when stuffed haphazardly with soft items, which I am likely to do. I really wish I lived close enough to visit the factory. I think an hour looking at Aeronauts in person would save me hours/days/weeks of contemplation. (Not like the contemplation is unpleasant, of course. I do enjoy dreaming about taking trips with this bag or that. $250 is a significant amount to me and I want spend wisely.)



    Ummm... I live close enough to visit the factory (and the guys there will vouch for me) - it takes more than an hour, it doesn't make it easier, and I still end up changing my mind after I take them home. I am NOT saying it isn't great fun to go and contemplate it all in person, just that it is still a hard choice - colors change in different lights and circumstances, and sometimes you just have to spend time with a bag before you can really decide. (it sounds like I am talking about a people, not inanimate objects, that is a bit scary )

    FWIW, I do feel guilty every time I go to the factory that I can go and so many of you have never been...

    I opted for dyneema (black/wasabi - gorgeous - but not on your list, so I won't complicate the matter by recommending ) on the Aeronaut (even though I am still contemplating whether to keep it - it may prove too big for me) - because weight matters a lot to me. Seemed to hold its shape fairly well with my haphazard test pack the other night.

  9. #39
    Registered User Janine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Lexington KY USA
    Posts
    996
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda Sloth View Post
    Ummm... I live close enough to visit the factory (and the guys there will vouch for me) - it takes more than an hour, it doesn't make it easier, and I still end up changing my mind after I take them home. I am NOT saying it isn't great fun to go and contemplate it all in person, just that it is still a hard choice - colors change in different lights and circumstances, and sometimes you just have to spend time with a bag before you can really decide. (it sounds like I am talking about a people, not inanimate objects, that is a bit scary )

    FWIW, I do feel guilty every time I go to the factory that I can go and so many of you have never been...

    I opted for dyneema (black/wasabi - gorgeous - but not on your list, so I won't complicate the matter by recommending ) on the Aeronaut (even though I am still contemplating whether to keep it - it may prove too big for me) - because weight matters a lot to me. Seemed to hold its shape fairly well with my haphazard test pack the other night.
    You should never feel guilty for living so close to the Promised Land. What you *should* do, however, is volunteer to be a personal shopper for the rest of us! :-D

    I agree that it takes a lot more than an hour of shopping to figure out if a bag is your partner for life. I've cycled through a series of bags that I tried and ultimately decided weren't perfect for me. I'm okay with that. I know I can always find someone else on the same quest to take the ones that don't work out for me, and when I do find a keeper, it is a solid purchase that will be with me for many, many travels. It's worth the investment in both time and money to me.

    Black Dyneema/Wasabi was on the list at one point. I have a Large Shop Bag and Little Swift in Black Dyneema and they are stunning! At the time, though, I thought I needed a Solar interior and TB doesn't offer an Aeronaut in Black Dyneema/Solar. Since I was already pining for Navy/UV I thought I would save myself grief by ruling out Black Dyneema. But then @kkintea posted photos of Steel/Wasabi and I'm rethinking EVERYTHING. Obviously you like the combination if that's what followed you home from the factory. What color accessories are you putting into it?

    Are you looking for the Aeronaut Jr. as a possible alternative? I agree that the Aeronaut is cavernous but that's why I like it so much!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

  10. #40
    Registered User Yoda Sloth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    86
    Happy to do any personal shopping you require

    Mostly UV and Wasabi accessories (I gravitate toward purple/green), but I seem to have also acquired a solar stuff-sack and an Iberian one... Apparently, I am happy to have an entire rainbow of colors internal to my bags I have a nordic/solar pilot (which I got after much agonizing between that and the black dyneema/wasabi) - but lately I seem to be carrying my small black dyneema shop bag everywhere - thus my "conversion" to the black dyneema camp.

    Yes, I think I may wait on the Aeronaut Jr. I like the one main compartment style, and the ability to "live" directly out of the bag when I travel, but the big/grown-up/large/regular Aeronaut gets heavy fast when I think about carrying it around for any length of time.

    Last night I tried a re-pack for my upcoming 10 day trip to Europe - using the "rule of 3" (or less) and got everything in my Syn25 with room to spare...

    Truth will come this weekend when I finally pack (with everything) and see which bags it will all fit in...

  11. #41
    Registered User Janine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Lexington KY USA
    Posts
    996
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda Sloth View Post
    Happy to do any personal shopping you require

    Mostly UV and Wasabi accessories (I gravitate toward purple/green), but I seem to have also acquired a solar stuff-sack and an Iberian one... Apparently, I am happy to have an entire rainbow of colors internal to my bags I have a nordic/solar pilot (which I got after much agonizing between that and the black dyneema/wasabi) - but lately I seem to be carrying my small black dyneema shop bag everywhere - thus my "conversion" to the black dyneema camp.

    Yes, I think I may wait on the Aeronaut Jr. I like the one main compartment style, and the ability to "live" directly out of the bag when I travel, but the big/grown-up/large/regular Aeronaut gets heavy fast when I think about carrying it around for any length of time.

    Last night I tried a re-pack for my upcoming 10 day trip to Europe - using the "rule of 3" (or less) and got everything in my Syn25 with room to spare...

    Truth will come this weekend when I finally pack (with everything) and see which bags it will all fit in...
    Toward the quest for a full Dyneema rainbow, I'd love to see orange and blue in the 200d weight. Just sayin' in case anyone from The Crew is readin'.

    Living out of the bag is one reason why I gravitated to the Aeronaut, and I love that way of describing it. I don't unpack at my destination. I open my bag, take out the items I need, and put back the items I don't.

    I've never heard of the "rule of 3" - is that where you take 3 or less of any one type of garment? And 10 days in Europe! Wow! Where are you going to go while you are there?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0