Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: New side effect color pairings

Consider a 16" key strap for her to carry it with. I keep mine on my SE at all times, so I can grab it out of other larger bags, and also so I can stick it over my shoulder as needed (it is very short for this use but works for me). I only use the long cross body strap rarely, as I usually need a big bag and the SE goes inside everything. But on a run into the grocery store, or whatever, I just grab out the SE, and hand or shoulder carry with the 16" connected to the two outside O-rings where a long strap would go. I also clip the carbiner on my keyring to this strap.

Quote Originally Posted by saikyo View Post
    Let's go back to talking about Side Effect colors please.

I have decided to get my wife a Side Effect as a surprise gift, but now the question is, what color, and do I want it in Ballistic or Dyneema?

I know she doesn't want black. I'm leaning towards ballistic in purple (I mean aubergine), not sure about the interior. Any recs?

Do I need any accessories for it? Any must-haves?

Question, looking at this blog: Tom Bihn Side Effect. | EDCForums
    Does the Side Effect include this little insert? http://edcforums.com/attachments/tb0412_19b-jpg.9969/
    If not, what is that called?

Some body help.
    For me, asking if needing accessories is like asking if I need air to breathe....

one of my mantras is from Steel Magnolias - 'the ability to accessorize is what separates us from other animals' -

as for the Side Effect - soon, my precioussss, soon.....

I don't see S-binders listed but I do see double carabiners. Is that right?

The double carabiners are the ones recommended for clipping the SE on flights to the pocked of the seat in front of you. The S-Binders are (as far as I know), what some people have from somewhere earls.
    Both are great accessories and do multiple jobs with Tom Bihn bags

Took a photo, not totaly sure about if thous are the S-Binders you talk about. Maybe someone can confirm:Name:  20140419_213433.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  283.8 KB

Ilkyway
    Last edited by Ilkyway; 04-19-2014 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    The double carabiners are the ones recommended for clipping the SE on flights to the pocked of the seat in front of you. The S-Binders are (as far as I know), what some people have from somewhere earls.

Took a photo, not totaly sure about if thous are the S-Binders you talk about. Maybe someone can confirm:Name:  20140419_213433.jpg

Ilkyway
    you are correct - the Nite Ize S-biners come in different sizes and colors but do not swivel....still love them, especially the green!!!

eightspokedb, thanks for confirming. I did not no the came in colors. Will look out for blue ones.

Volunteer Moderator

Ilkyway
    @GoStanford The reply and picture posted by @Ilkyway is exactly correct. Nite Ize S-biners of many sizes are a third-party product you can buy at Amazon, REI, your local hardware store, and many other places. The smaller sizes also come in steel and colored versions, and they're very handy. My only warning is that every so often, for the larger sized S-biners you'll read reviews about how the clips suddenly gave way (this is even without trying to use them for anywhere near the maximum specified weight), and so you'll find occasional 5 star reviews changed to 1 star reviews to this effect, like this one from the REI site for the Size 2 S-biner:
    ☆☆☆☆☆
    1 out of 5 stars.
    Austin Mountain Biker
    a year ago
    Don't use these for anything important!
    I'll be honest -- I bought them because they're beautiful, elegant simple design. Light. Small.

But they are not any good. DO NOT DEPEND UPON THESE THINGS TO HOLD ONTO ANYTHING IMPORTANT.

I'm going to throw them all away, but only after I smash them all flat with a hammer, so no one who might ever find them will not use them. I've got them all off my pack, too late to smack them now but I'll do it tomorrow.

Real bummer is that I gave some of these as holiday presents -- I bought some friends stylish junk that they should not use.

✘ No, I don't recommend this product.
    I think this is the larger size S-biner originally proposed for hanging the Side Effect and turning it into a seat pocket bag. I had earlier experimented with S-biners as a way of locking zippers (not for suspending heavy items), and found that the clips occasionally just opened, which was why I immediately tried using the Double Carabiner clips instead of large S-biners for holding the Side Effects.

I want to stress that the small S-biners used inside pouches can still be very useful, but for some of the other larger designs (like the Double S-biner shaped to work as a bottle cap opener and key ring) you'll occasionally read reviews that people initially found this great, but then looked down one day to find their keys missing. Also, about a year ago, Nite ize introduced models which had a separate lock on the mechanism to reinforce closure, but a few reviews said this was diddly to use unless you had good fingernails. Just sayin' and not wanting to "diss" (disrespect) this design.

moriond

eightspokedb, thanks for confirming. I did not no the came in colors. Will look out for blue ones.
    Nite Ize S-biners do come in a couple of shades of blue

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post

I want to stress that the small S-biners used inside pouches can still be very useful, but for some of the other larger designs (like the Double S-biner shaped to work as a bottle cap opener and key ring) you'll occasionally read reviews that people initially found this great, but then looked down one day to find their keys missing. Also, about a year ago, Nite ize introduced models which had a separate lock on the mechanism to reinforce closure, but a few reviews said this was diddly to use unless you had good fingernails.
    I would concur about the usefulness of the small Nite Ize S-Biners inside pouches.

However, I would never, ever, ever trust my keys (or anything of value) to the larger ones: they are simply not reliable.

Nearly lost keys attached to a large Nite Ize S-Biner twice before giving up on them for good!

Have been using the TB Double Carabiner without incident ever since.
    Last edited by bb93fo57; 04-20-2014 at 06:16 AM.
    Current Traveling Companions:
    Steel Ballistic: Western Flyer (w/Iberian), Pilot (w/UV)
    Black Dyneema: Tri-Star (w/Iberian), Aeronaut30 (w/Iberian), Synapse25 (w/Wasabi), Pilot (w/Wasabi)

Surprise shipping notice....steel ballistic side effect is en route!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    moriond and scribe like this.
    Favorite: Steel/Steel LS * Latest: Nordic/Solar S25 * Wishlist: New 400d Color

Damn - now you've got me hoping my black/iberian one will ship early too!
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

Quote Originally Posted by ClaireJ View Post
    Woah, big change-up with color options! I just ordered the parapack Steel/UV Side Effect (which was listed as backordered until late June) a few days ago - and now that option's gone and the ballistic Steel/UV has appeared. Now I'm wondering if I'd prefer ballistic... probably going to stick with the parapack... I also notice that the Steel Dyneema is no longer available. I'm not a big fan of my Steel Dyneema SE actually, so if anyone wants to trade for it (I'd love a Black/Iberian one!), let me know.
    My parapack Steel/UV Side Effect arrived recently, and I'm not as in love with it as I'd hoped - the steel has a definite green tinge to it, and I much prefer grays with a blue tinge (I know, I know, seems very minor, but I love all my other Tom Bihn gear, so I want to love this too!)... I'm contemplating exchanging for the ballistic Steel/UV (also tempted by Black/Iberian since that's the color combo of my Synapse 25), Although I do like the lighter weight and sheen of the parapack. I know I've seen photos somewhere on here of the steel parapack compared to the steel ballistic, but I cannot for the life of me find them again - maybe one of you guys with better search skills than I can help me out...

Imago and Mini Pouch in Steel Ballistic vs. Side Effect in Steel Parapack. Also Wasabi and Steel Dyneema for comparison. In the bright light of my office, they do look similar, but my experience is that there is a bit of a green undertone to the parapack. Like many great TB colors, they take on different personas under different lighting conditions.

Last edited by kkintea; 05-07-2014 at 04:07 PM.

Evolution of the steel side effect: cordura, parapack, and fresh out of the box ballistic.

For me, the texture is the difference. All are great!

Just to clarify since I just noticed that I swapped the order around in my side effect photo shoot... cordura = portable culture tag, parapack = black zippers, and ballistic = silver zippers.

Last edited by kkintea; 05-07-2014 at 05:27 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post
    Evolution of the steel side effect: cordura, parapack, and fresh out of the box ballistic.

For me, the texture is the difference. All are great!

Just to clarify since I just noticed that I swapped the order around in my side effect photo shoot... cordura = portable culture tag, parapack = black zippers, and ballistic = silver zippers.
    @kkintea Should your post(s) be titled Not Quite 50 Shades of Grey?

moriond

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0