Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: New side effect color pairings

Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post

I LOVE the PCSB. I use the simple shoulder strap with it, but I would welcome a slightly narrower shoulder strap to use with it (I have been looking, have not found one).
    Try the 5/8 strap $3 - it's listed as a spare part and is also an option with the 3D clear organizer

I use the 5/8 with the PCSB.

The 5/8 strap comes standard with with the SE, so if Walker already has a SE, there'll be no need to order the strap just to try.
    If not... could always order an SE just for the strap!
    Walker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    @Rocks It's a tough decision, right? All the colour combos I really want are on backorder until late June, which means touch-and-go as to whether I'll get one before my US trip at the beginning of July (to Bloomington, just down the road from you!). I'm sure you'll love the Steel/UV SE, though - I've been wavering on it myself
    You'll be just a half hour light rail ride away, if you're near the Mall of America! If you want to place an order, can you have it shipped to your Bloomington destination? You can also have something shipped to my address if you're willing to pick it up. (My building has 24hr desk attendants and the package would be there. )

Nice idea - and thanks for the kind offer! I have considered asking one of my Minnesotan friends to take delivery and bring it along, but if the timing slips at all, I'd end up paying extra to ship it on to the UK.

OTOH I'd save at least the cost of a SE in shipping and import duty, so it's worth thinking about...
    Rocks likes this.
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bijoux View Post
    Try the 5/8 strap $3 - it's listed as a spare part and is also an option with the 3D clear organizer

I use the 5/8 with the PCSB.
    Quote Originally Posted by icebeng View Post
    The 5/8 strap comes standard with with the SE, so if Walker already has a SE, there'll be no need to order the strap just to try.
    @bijoux @icebeng
    I think @Walker initiated the request for the 5/8" strap to be separately listed and purchaseable as a parts option. If you follow the links in my post within that linked thread, you'll see that I recommended trying to get the 1" strap for the Breve, which is the strap that I prefer to use with the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag (and with the Side Effect, too, since it's less likely to tangle than the 5/8" strap). In an earlier thread that showed how the PCSB could be used as a diaper bag that fit inside the (recently discontinued) Imago I asked whether this strap could be separately purchased for use with the PCSB:
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @darcy is the strap that came with the Breve an option for the PCSB? I think that might work better for this bag used as a diaper bag than the broader standard strap that is a purchasing option, and is sturdier than the key straps Janine was using in the photos in my earlier links. I'll attach a picture of the PCSB with the shoulder strap from my Breve. The wider standard strap (from a Cafe bag) is shown for comparison at the edge.
    At that time Darcy said it was an option, but by the time @Walker tried to order this strap 5 months later, it was no longer in stock, since the Breve was also discontinued at that point. I do find this a very convenient size strap for the PCSB.

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 04-12-2014 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Added attachment reference as URL to display picture instead of link
    Walker and icebeng like this.

Quote Originally Posted by icebeng View Post
    I think I need help for TBAS - I just placed an order built around a side effect. I am waiting to see what new combos and colors are available in other products later this year, but I want to see how the SE will work for me - doesn't hurt to have the thin strap to make it a portable little unit. A PLU as opposed to a PLO?

I need coffee. This forum is too engrossing!

Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    I think I need help for TBAS - I just placed an order built around a side effect. I am waiting to see what new combos and colors are available in other products later this year, but I want to see how the SE will work for me - doesn't hurt to have the thin strap to make it a portable little unit. A PLU as opposed to a PLO?

I need coffee. This forum is too engrossing!
    Genius! I tried to find a clever name for the PCSB and the Side Effect function as inside Swift, Shop Bag or Synapse zipped pocket but nothing.

The PLU (Portable Little Unit) is perfect because it can be used for the aformentioned purse within a purse funtion and also dopp kit. bike essentials (thanks Dorayme for the idea) and minimalist EDC which is going to be very handy when temperatures climb in the northern hemisphere, even I, reduce my EDC things at that time. and drop in the southern one.

@Walker @moriond
    wow! /bow down! obviously, I haven't read through the earlier parts of the forum enough lol

I just took a look at the strap of my Side Effect, it's...kinda...thin.....
    @bijoux, wouldn't it get rather uncomfortable if your PCSB is loaded up?

I ended up transplanting it over to my 3D clear organizer cube.

Let's go back to talking about Side Effect colors please.

I have decided to get my wife a Side Effect as a surprise gift, but now the question is, what color, and do I want it in Ballistic or Dyneema?

I know she doesn't want black. I'm leaning towards ballistic in purple (I mean aubergine), not sure about the interior. Any recs?

Do I need any accessories for it? Any must-haves?

Question, looking at this blog: Tom Bihn Side Effect. | EDCForums
    Does the Side Effect include this little insert? http://edcforums.com/attachments/tb0412_19b-jpg.9969/
    If not, what is that called?

Some body help.

That picture is one of the SE turned inside-out, so yes, it has the two pockets, though they're not an insert.

Accessories-wise, it really depends how one uses it. But mini and small OPs, organizer wallets and pocket pouches all fit inside the SE. I like to use a small keystrap as well.

Annnddddddd I ordered.

This site is so addicting.

And you know as soon as I gift it to her... I'll be jealous and order my own. Hopeless.
    Ilkyway likes this.

So what did you get ?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by saikyo View Post
    Annnddddddd I ordered.

This site is so addicting.

And you know as soon as I gift it to her... I'll be jealous and order my own. Hopeless.
    What accessories and color combination did you get? @taminca shows the current design of the Side Effect's gun metal gray zippers for the Aubergine Side effect in this thread, along with some of the pouches. And there are pictures of the way you can use differently colored Paracord ties to accent the zippers. If you want to get really fancy with customizing Paracord zipper pulls, check out the links in @Ilkyway's thread on customizing the zipper pulls for her Synapse. I like to include at least a Clear Organizer Wallet in my Side Effect, but since I also use this as a seat pocket bag when traveling in an airplane, I always take along at least a pair of double Carabiner clips to fasten to the bag. In my Side Effects the clips sit in the Coyote Mini Mesh organizer pouch (because I like being able to see contents through the mesh weave in a color that isn't black, and also because I like also being able to locate items by the different textures -- easy to distinguish that pouch even without looking at it in the front zipped pocket). Other accessory pouches and where they are stored depend on what I'm doing. Here are some rather poor pictures showing relative sizes of the Coyote pouches and the Pocket Pouch (which can hold business cards) -- all taken lastDecember just after I got these pouches and was traveling (hence the really poor room lighting):
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397850167.677480.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  163.3 KB
    That bottom pouch is holding double carabiners. The middle pouch is handy for coins or SD cards or earbuds.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397850355.332971.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  147.3 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397850379.791547.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  172.7 KB

The knitting tool pouches are great for traveling eating utensils (although these are just plastic examples to hand), and for other small items, where you want to see them through the clear window of the pouch, but still have them held in place and protected. These are the size 1 Navy Knitting Tool Pouch holding iPad camera attachment kit items, along with the sim card and the tool for changing Sim cards at the side. There's also the small adapter for the new Mac power brick chargers. The size 2 Kiwi Knitting Tool Pouch can hold tools and travel sporks in place with the side shields. It's too short for most chopsticks, but you can use the clear pen/pencil pouch in the main compartment of the Side Effect for those. Some people use these types of pouches to carry toothbrushes.

HTH
    Last edited by moriond; 04-18-2014 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Fixed some links

moriond give the man a brake ;-) he has just come to turns buying one for his wife (we all now, that he is right in predicting, that he will want one for himself too) and now you hit him with all thous accessories. Well what the heck, that will justify the shipping fee and they are very useful. By the way: thanks for the picture with the cutlery. I will definitely copy that. And beeing a big fan of the SE I think everybody should have one. If not as a standalone bag than as a bag-in-bag.

I too like to no, which color it will be.
    Ilkyway

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by saikyo View Post
    Let's go back to talking about Side Effect colors please.

I have decided to get my wife a Side Effect as a surprise gift, but now the question is, what color, and do I want it in Ballistic or Dyneema?

I know she doesn't want black. I'm leaning towards ballistic in purple (I mean aubergine), not sure about the interior. Any recs?

Do I need any accessories for it? Any must-haves?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    moriond give the man a brake ;-) he has just come to turns buying one for his wife (we all now, that he is right in predicting, that he will want one for himself too) and now you hit him with all thous accessories. Well what the heck, that will justify the shipping fee and they are very useful. By the way: thanks for the picture with the cutlery. I will definitely copy that. And beeing a big fan of the SE I think everybody should have one. If not as a standalone bag than as a bag-in-bag.

I too like to no, which color it will be.
    Ilkyway
    @Ilkyway This was a somewhat late reply to the "Do I need any accessories for it?" request in the initial post to show the kind of accessories I might carry. I really like the Knitting Tool Pouches for different types of purposes, and not just because I can carry items like needles and hooks with the ends secured. In my Synapse front side pockets, I usually have clear organizer pouches in the pen/pencil size in Dyneema to carry items like cutlery or at least a multi-purpose spoon. But if I'm using the Side Effect, I like that there's a shorter pouch that I can use. The ballistic nylon end guards are particularly handy for keeping rounded shapes of the spoon or fork tines from moving and piercing through.

As for colors, I note that Aubergine/Ultraviolet is an option for the Side Effect now in addition to Aubergine/Wasabi.

moriond

ETA: Forgot to note that I usually also carry a Handle Loop in the front zipped pocket. This is one of the ordering options on the Side Effect product page, and you can find it in the drop down menu there. However, I carry this along as an extra for occasions when I fit either the Side Effect or 3D Cubes into pockets of the Co-Pilot or Pilot, and may want to make it easier to either pull out the 3D Cube (new clear ones can be sticky in pockets), or else to convert the small cubes to purse-like objects. If I'm using my 400d Dyneema Side Effect in a light mode (mainly for iPad Mini and Kindle) then I'll use the Handle Loop as a wrist strap. But I also use the Handle Loop for other bag attachment strategies, either with Double Carabiners or Mini carabiners (from other sources).
    Last edited by moriond; 04-18-2014 at 02:14 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0