Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: New side effect color pairings

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by taminca View Post
    Thanks, @moriond! I am very excited about Kelly!!!
    @taminca Here's a better and larger picture of Kelly from the original release of the Swift in Kelly/Navy from a blog post dated 30 October 2007. (Very painful using the old indexing scheme of the blog pages in the Internet Archive to locate pictures I know are there.)
    taminca likes this.

If I didn't prefer horizontal orientation and the absence of a flap, I would be ordering five cafe bags now...no, six, seven. Holy guacamole! An orgy of color!
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    If I didn't prefer horizontal orientation and the absence of a flap, I would be ordering five cafe bags now...no, six, seven. Holy guacamole! An orgy of color!
    Though I really like my new small cafe bag, I have to agree that there is a niche to be filled here for a small horizontal no-flap bag. I have a packing cube shoulder bag and haven't tested it out yet; it's fairly floppy (as it is a packing cube) and I am visualizing something with compartments. Regarding colors though - wow, yes, the cafe bags are just so tempting!

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @taminca Here's a better and larger picture of Kelly from the original release of the Swift in Kelly/Navy from a blog post dated 30 October 2007. (Very painful using the old indexing scheme of the blog pages in the Internet Archive to locate pictures I know are there.)
    Wow! Now that is GREEN.

Sorry for your pain but it is MUCH appreciated, @moriond. I do believe there is a Kelly/Navy SCB in my future -- and it will be my first Cordura TB bag.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    Though I really like my new small cafe bag, I have to agree that there is a niche to be filled here for a small horizontal no-flap bag. I have a packing cube shoulder bag and haven't tested it out yet; it's fairly floppy (as it is a packing cube) and I am visualizing something with compartments. Regarding colors though - wow, yes, the cafe bags are just so tempting!
    I totally agree. I always looked at the co-pilot for this reason, but...

What's the but, luvdabags? I have to admit I broke down and bought an aubergine/wasabi co-pilot and I absolutely love it. I'm not usually a purple person either, but the color is wonderfully deep and rich.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I love the aubergine color also. I have a Ristretto in that color that is super. Tachiyaku, the "but" was just my own feeling that I cannot justify the Co-pilot when I have a wonderful Pilot already, but I would like a smaller-than-pilot bag too...but must stop myself from buying one of everything! And the aubergine/UV SE calls to me, but I have a navy ballistic/iberian one I use everyday and LOVE, and being able to change it from bag to bag is what makes it so great, so having to change from SE to SE would just be crazy, but...!!! And, now perhaps you understand the "but" and have had a small glimpse into my trying-to-justify-new-bag-while-not-going-broke mind!

Dear luvdabags, i just ordered an aubergine/UV SE
    So I can test drive in something smaller....

@Darcy, Is there any possibility that the little SE would be made in linen? I would love....nice spring and summer color for an EDC.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    @Darcy, Is there any possibility that the little SE would be made in linen? I would love....nice spring and summer color for an EDC.
    Ditto - these bright colours are nice and all, but I'd like something subtler for my summer PLO.

Also, for the folks wanting a horizontal, flapless EDC - TB should make a larger version of the SE* and call it a Side Order

* without the waist strap option, obviously, but a wider shoulder strap
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    . . . .
    Also, for the folks wanting a horizontal, flapless EDC - TB should make a larger version of the SE* and call it a Side Order

* without the waist strap option, obviously, but a wider shoulder strap
    The PCSB would make a great Side Order -if it had inside pockets and O rings similar to the SE. A flat inside wall pocket for inserting tourist brochure (or something thin and stiff) to give the bag structure as needed would be awesome. I have been asking for the inside pockets on the annual TB wish list and whenever a chance to ask comes up. If more folks ask for it, TB may consider.

I LOVE the PCSB. I use the simple shoulder strap with it, but I would welcome a slightly narrower shoulder strap to use with it (I have been looking, have not found one). I use the PCSB as:
    1) packing cube
    2) pouch for my shop bag, Synapse 19, Swift (when I had one - it is great with the Swift). Recently got a Pilot - it fits, but have not used them together as of this time.
    3) camera bag paired with a padded liner. I use the mini padded pouch from Courierware. Pricy for what you get, but I like it best (there are other options posted on TB forum) because it does not have a top closure, which is my preference.
    4) SHOULDER BAG!

It is great to use as a shoulder bag during travels and one does not want or cannot carry a dedicated should bag. However, it IS floppy. Since there are no inside pockets, I use the outside zipper pocket to keep my phone (big galaxy note 2), TB wallet and keys (in a TB mini OP) secure. I do not want my phone getting scratched and I am paranoid about my wallet/keys accidentally getting pulled out and dropped when I pull out other stuff from the main compartment. I lost my beloved mini Iberian OP with a bit of cash inside - I think it got pulled out and dropped when I absentmindedly pulled out my knit gloves or beanie while walking. Since then, I keep items that are painful to lose in the zipper pocket for peace of mind. Eventually, the phone and OPs migrate around in the Zipper pocket .

I still love my PCSBs, but wish for inside pockets and O-rings.
    WenV and Ilkyway like this.

Exactly - a PCSB-sized SE would be perfect. For one thing, I could fit my iPad Mini inside it (the SE is just too small, unless you have a dyneema one which is apparently a bit more flexible).

I've been seriously considering a PCSB, but held off because I wasn't sure how much use I'd get out of it compared to an SE.
    Collections:
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

The PCSB is a useful size for an EDC. If TB went with this for a more permanent, stiffer model, I want how much interior space would be lost to linings and interior pockets. I currently use mine as an EDC when traveling. In it goes my iphone, ipad mini, various pouches, small camera, and a rain jacket. Amazing. I wonder if I could still stuff in this load in a reinforced bag.

I just ordered a steel parapack/UV Side Effect (out of back order!) and noticed that black ballistic/UV is a color option too and almost changed my mind. Since it's the weekend, I still might...
    scribe likes this.

@Rocks It's a tough decision, right? All the colour combos I really want are on backorder until late June, which means touch-and-go as to whether I'll get one before my US trip at the beginning of July (to Bloomington, just down the road from you!). I'm sure you'll love the Steel/UV SE, though - I've been wavering on it myself
    Collections:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0