Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree131Likes

Thread: New backpack strap placement on Synapse 19?

New backpack strap placement on Synapse 19?

Just got a black parapack Synapse 19. Now that I have a lovely Nordic version, I was going to sell my steel dyneema one, so that I would have a solid black version suitable for more formal travel, and the blue one for personal use. After the Pilot the Synapse 19 is my go-to bag for almost everything: commuting, gym, personal bag on a flight, hiking...

But... it seems as if the shoulder straps on the 'new' Synapse 19's are placed differently. They are sewn further apart in the attachment point at the top of the bag. Not comfortable for me. I am reluctant to try it out any further (like wearing it on my commute) because I might have to return it.

Was the change in strap placement announced anywhere? Has anyone else noticed this?

I wonder if there is a safe way to re-sew them into the original place. I really prefer the solid black color, as a travel bag for work. (At the time I bought the steel dyneema, parapack was not yet available.)
    Last edited by bchaplin; 04-06-2014 at 06:10 AM.
    eWalker likes this.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

Interesting...
    I find the backpack straps on my older Navy/Iberian Synapse 19 to be too close together which is one reason I'm considering putting the bag on the swap page.
    eWalker likes this.

I would trade you... but I really wanted the black/wasabi!
    It's not the end of the world, but I was surprised when I tried it on! The previous Synapses were absolutely perfect for me, and extremely comfortable.
    The wider strap placement is probably better for taller people? I'm 5'2". Will try it out again (inside the house) to decide if it will work for me.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 04-06-2014 at 08:32 AM.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    But... it seems as if the shoulder straps on the 'new' Synapse 19's are placed differently. They are sewn further apart in the attachment point at the top of the bag. Not comfortable for me. I am reluctant to try it out any further (like wearing it on my commute) because I might have to return it.

Was the change in strap placement announced anywhere? Has anyone else noticed this?
    @bchaplin I don't have a recent Synapse 19, but I just received the Synapse 25 in Nordic/Solar, and the backpack straps are sewn further apart on that bag. Here's a quick picture to illustrate this.

The top picture shows the back of my (packed) Synapse 25 in 400d Steel Dyneema/Wasabi (from the first batch of orders last year in April, I think). The next picture shows the back of the new Nordic/Solar Synapse 25 that just arrived. The ends of the top handle loops and the backpack straps have been moved further apart, and the angle of the straps hang more nearly vertically. The spacing between the backpack straps has increased from about 3/4" (20 mm) to about 2 1/4" (60 mm). The bottom picture shows the back of the Synapse 19 in Nordic/Steel (should be the same model you swapped for, with the old "Portable Culture" tag from the first release in early 2013). Spacing between the straps looks to be about 11/16" or about 17 or 18 mm. These are all quick measurements. Can you post a picture of the back of your new Synapse 19 and/or measure the distance between the straps?
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396810737.962282.jpg
Views: 1043
Size:  67.1 KB

I also find the strap spacing less comfortable for my frame size (5'3.5") than the older model, and I'd guess my body build is similar to yours. I think that the change may have been implemented after some of the comments of last Fall. See, for example, some of the comments near the end in the old Synapse 25 for work thread. BY the way, I hope @peruvian is finding this S25 design more comfortable.

moriond

ETA: I think @Badger got the Synapse 25 in Black 400d /Iberian in November 2013. Were the changes put into effect before or after those bags?
    Last edited by moriond; 04-06-2014 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Added query to @Badger
    eWalker likes this.

I got my steel dyneema/uv S25 last June. The straps are 2.75 inches apart. On my older uv/steel S19 they are only about a quarter of an inch apart.
    Moose
    eWalker likes this.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Volunteer Moderator
    Thanks @Moose. I'M measuring the strap separations at the very top seam where the backpack straps are sewn into the bags. I should have put a ruler in the pictures, but for reference purposes the Dyneema fabric tag is 2 3/4" (about 71 mm) square, on a side.

The main thing to note is that the straps of the S25 are spaced wider apart at the top of the bag, and also hang more vertically down the back than in my original model S25, which comes from their first production batch. See sample shots of the backs of bags below.

Left side is the back of my Steel 400d Dyneema/Wasabi Synapse 25 from the first production batch around April 2013, I think. Right side is the back of the new Nordic 400d Dyneema/Solar Synapse 25 that just arrived. Again, I haven't bothered to empty out the Steel Synapse 25 of laptop and papers.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396815671.378546.jpg
Views: 1332
Size:  71.0 KB

I still don't know what this looks like for the recent Synapse 19 models.

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 04-06-2014 at 01:43 PM.
    eWalker likes this.

I am attaching a photo for reference. This is my S19 that I bought in June 2013. They key card is standard credit card size. I hope this helps.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1043
Size:  627.9 KB
    LCB, S19, SE, Co-Pilot, wallet, pouches

For me, this spacing has worked perfectly. I am about 5'6" (about 1.67 or 1.68 metres). I have never tried the other strap layout, though.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by yohopee View Post
    For me, this spacing has worked perfectly. I am about 5'6" (about 1.67 or 1.68 metres). I have never tried the other strap layout, though.
    @yohopee I haven't tried the layout of straps in the S19 current models, but it may be more comfortable than in the S25, which seems to use similar spacing between the backpack straps. What happens with me, is that because my back and upper torso is probably not as wide as for the people who had issues with the earlier S25 strap placement, the backpack straps that hang more vertically downwards at the redesigned spacing have their inner edges cut against the left and right sides of my neck. This might not be as much of an issue if I am wearing a heavy coat as outerwear, or a heavy scarf, or if I gained 20-30 pounds. It's one of the reasons that I found the previous generation Smart Alec (before the massive re-design of the back to match the Synapse backpack design, and the addition of bright Dyneema interiors) slightly less comfortable to use than the current generation Smart Alec. Maybe @bchaplin can comment on how she finds her new S19 less comfortable? Also, I know there are many forum members who have had both the new Parapack S19 and the older model Synapses. Most of them, like @nukediver, are taller than I am, though.

ETA: Here's an image of the back of the Synapse 19 from the current product page pictures. It looks as though the backpack strap spacing matches that of the back of the Nordic/Steel Synapse 19 I showed above, but that the strap spacing in @yohopee's attached Synapse 19 picture is wider:

It may be that this is an older picture dating from when they first introduced 400d Dyneema options for this bag (October 2012), rather than the redesigned Synapse 19 of May 2013, since the other product page pictures don't show the new features such as the bottom pocket piping and the bottom webbing loop (along with interior features such as the cache on rails and extra o-rings that would not be evident in the pictures)

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 04-06-2014 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Added image of back of Synapse 19 from current product page
    eWalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post

ETA: I think @Badger got the Synapse 25 in Black 400d /Iberian in November 2013. Were the changes put into effect before or after those bags?
    @moriond, I checked my S25 and the straps are about 2.75-3" apart, conforming to the configuration of your new S25.

FWIW, I'm the same height as you and find the strap placement very agreeable. I also have extremely broad shoulders. So I would say that if you are solidly built (ahem), the new placement may not be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    eWalker likes this.

Now that you mention wide backs... I have a very wide back and squared shoulders. I am built like a tank. Maybe that's why the straps are so comfortable for me.

I haven't measured them, but I did find the straps on my my new steel/wasabi S19 to be more comfortable than my older navy/solar S19 (with the Portable Culture tag). I'm tall & well-upholstered. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by yohopee View Post
    Now that you mention wide backs... I have a very wide back and squared shoulders. I am built like a tank. Maybe that's why the straps are so comfortable for me.
    Heard that! Let's start a wide backed, squared shouldered, built like a tank club!

I am a petite 5'3" and the only way the S19 (recently purchased in parapack) fits me comfortably is if I keep the chest strap tightened. Otherwise the straps are slightly too wide and threaten to slip off my shoulders, though I believe the model I originally tried in the store seemed to fit more narrowly. I love the bag so much that I am willing to do this to make it fit appropriately, but I definitely wish the straps were spaced slightly more narrowly. Oddly, this seems to be less of an issue with a Dyneema Smart Alec I have, perhaps because it is normally carrying more weight when I wear it?

There you have it! We need a new option for strap placement:

1. Petite
    2. Tank

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0