Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
Like Tree131Likes

Thread: New backpack strap placement on Synapse 19?

Quote Originally Posted by d.weglarz View Post
    Well, I am sure I can because my girl really Would kill me if she saw 2 new bags around, and she WOULD know....
    Just curious with all this talk.,..is there a proper size pack that is meant for your back? As in, is the bag supposed to drop below your waist in the back? Or how high it should sit? Or, is it really just whatever works for you, since that's what ive been doing all along lol.,?

How tall is your partner? And beautiful smile, btw!
    You could tell Ms. D to take the one that doesn't fit as well and return it on your behalf. Like, she could go to the post office when you're not at home and send it off if you can't bring yourself to say goodbye.

He is 5'10" and of a cheerful disposition. Hence the big smile. MS Paint FTW!

I'm curious to know more about backpack sizing too. I remember there was something on the TB website or forum, but I just can't seem to find it. Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by icebeng View Post
    There's the danger of finding out that the color you ABSOLUTELY love (when you see it in person), is the wrong size.
    This would actually complicate your decision making, and make sending it back harder. Just my 2 cents.
    That's true. There are more awesome neutral colours available in the S25, e.g. cocoa and steel. If you end up getting one of them and it doesn't fit, @d.weglarz, be strong and return it... !

It's just my opinion but the straps on the S19 newer version are still too narrow and cut into my neck and I am a small upper torso person. So that means on a normal human, they must be even narrower. Also the straps are really stiff when new and not the most comfortable. I so wanted to like it as the bag design itself is sleek and lovely.

I have on order the bigger bag s25 to try it and see if the strap issue is resolved by a bigger bag. Meanwhile have you considered the cross/shoulder bags? if you can carry them, there are several models that are beautiful in design and function. Alas I cannot carry much weight that way but maybe you can.

see this helpful photo entry about bag sizes on smaller people:

Who says short people can't carry big bags?

Wow, awesome advice. Yes, I was thinking the same thing, both in the same color...just for that reason lol.
    Now, just gotta decide which color is best for me
    I am really loving a few of the colors.....Olive or the Steel Dyneema. (well, the burnt orange looks awesome too)

Great to know the return policy is straight forward, thanks for everything guys...

Quote Originally Posted by d.weglarz View Post
    Wow, awesome advice. Yes, I was thinking the same thing, both in the same color...just for that reason lol.
    Now, just gotta decide which color is best for me
    I am really loving a few of the colors.....Olive or the Steel Dyneema. (well, the burnt orange looks awesome too)

Great to know the return policy is straight forward, thanks for everything guys...
    The struggle is real lol.

Backpack straps: s19 and s25:stiff and hurt: do they soften? why are so thin?

the straps on both s25 and s19 are stiff when new. do they soften?

also, they seem thinner and harder than other packs I have used.

I would appreciate others' input on them after a time of using in the field.

thanks

I don't have that problem with the S19, as you can by design carry less, and I just don't even feel the straps really. Very nice from day one.

But I returned an S25 for that reason, not that they were stiff, but seemed to thin, not comfortable on me given the load (14-15 lbs). Others find it super comfortable....

My S19 straps have seemed to mold and soften a bit over time, and I have not had discomfort with them. Of course, I have the wider S19 straps that seem a bit more widely spaced than I need. If your issue is that the straps seem to be rubbing on your neck or they seemed to narrow, then I cannot address that...unless you have a pack with the narrow strap placement with which you would like to part. For any load that I can fit in my pack though, the padding has been sufficient.

I've had my Synapse 19 for two years now and have used it almost daily. Just last night I marveled (inwardly) at how comfortable the straps are, how they sit on my shoulders and stay there and distribute the load so well (I did a really good packing job last night). When I first got it, I found the straps to be stiff, and the material chafed when I wore sleeveless shirts. I'm not saying it takes two years to break them in! They've held up really well though and the when I wear it, the bag feels like a part of me. I do love it ...

Like Carl0, I also returned a S25 due to the overall straps/fit. In my opinion, it's not really the thickness of the straps, but the placement/cut that do not fit me well. I have had many other bags with thin straps in my years of backpacking, and I often find that the soft "padded" straps tend to cause me more problems than a well-designed thin, durable strap. It might not be the materials of the straps causing you problems, but perhaps it's the overall fit.

My A45 came today, and it has fairly thin straps as well, but it felt great on my back fully loaded.
    carl0 likes this.

Seems a real shame that the new strap placement is causing some to return their great TB bags........hope mine fits me well when i get it though.
    Just based on how many people seeming so disappointed about the new placement, should be an option for the old version straps IMO.

The S19 was my first purchase from TB, and I was soooo excited to receive it yesterday and then immediately soooo disappointed by this strap issue! I am a 5'10" woman and I definitely feel that the straps want to slip off my shoulders. Using the chest strap helps, but it's like wearing pants that are 2 sizes too big and keeping them up with a belt -- it works, but it's not something you'd do on purpose. Compared to my old backpack (a North Face Borealis) the difference is incredible. When I thought about it though, I realized that my old backpack probably fits much better because North Face makes every backpack in a women's and a men's version. It seems like having two editions of the Synapse would be a reasonable choice for TB given the number of people who are having problems. Even if the "women's" or "narrow" Synapse only came in one or two colors, it would make such a huge difference.

I saw in another forum that changes are being made to the Synapse right now. Any chance this major issue is being addressed?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0