Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree131Likes

Thread: New backpack strap placement on Synapse 19?

PMc
    Just figured out today why my new S19 feels like it's about to fall off my shoulders compared to the older model that I've had for a couple of years (and have been delighted with). Realigning the straps from a quarter inch to 2.75 inches doesn't strike me as a minor tweak, but from reading the posts on this thread I guess it works for some, but not so much for others (for reference, I'm a 5'8" male with what I believe are normal sized shoulders). I actually thought it was a flaw when I sent photos of both bags to customer service today, but when told it was an intentional redesign I went online to find out if anyone else was having an issue. I appreciate that I was offered a refund if I'd like to return the bag, but in my follow up I asked if I could order a "custom" bag (and by that I simply asked if I could order the "old" version). The response was that all the bags have the redesign, and there isn't any way to change it. I can't figure out how a company that takes such obvious care in design and (local) manufacturing can't reproduce an item that had for a number of years been part of the product line. I'd understand if these bags were churned out overseas with little control (or care) over the final product, but this isn't the case. If any TB staff monitor this thread PLEASE .. stop by the factory floor, tap someone on the shoulder and say "hey, remember how we used to make this bag .. well, we're gonna do ONE more!" (and then contact me, I'll gladly pay for it and donate my existing bag to a broad-shouldered street person in my neighbourhood).

Hey there,

I'm not an expert in factory production, but I'm guessing that even short interruptions of the assembly line will have an outsize effect on production, slowing it down to an inefficient level. It's not that the individual workers don't know how to do the change you describe, but rather that they can't shift to a custom-order model in midstream. (To say nothing of the riot that would ensue here on the baords, if folks found out that custom Bihn items were a possibility! )

I'll let others more knowledgeable speak up about the specifics of mass production, but for your situation, probably the simplest solution is to put out an ISO here on the TB forums for a "Portable Culture" S19, and also keep an eye out on eBay. I was able to snag one such S19 from someone who'd found it on eBay.

(As a side note, I was able to try on both models of S19 - narrow straps and widely-spaced straps - and found to my surprise that once the bag was loaded it didn't make as much difference as I thought it would. (I'm five feet tall with narrow shoulders.) I'm going to keep playing with both versions and see if the strap placement grows on me. )

Quote Originally Posted by PMc View Post
    [...] I can't figure out how a company that takes such obvious care in design and (local) manufacturing can't reproduce an item that had for a number of years been part of the product line. I'd understand if these bags were churned out overseas with little control (or care) over the final product, but this isn't the case. If any TB staff monitor this thread PLEASE .. stop by the factory floor, tap someone on the shoulder and say "hey, remember how we used to make this bag .. well, we're gonna do ONE more!" (and then contact me, I'll gladly pay for it and donate my existing bag to a broad-shouldered street person in my neighbourhood).
    Last edited by haraya; 07-21-2014 at 08:18 PM.
    ncb4 and icebeng like this.

@PMc,
    Have you tried shortening the shoulder straps?
    My S19 is a new one, and I've been described as a combination of scrawny/flabby, NOT built like a tank shoulders, and it fits me just fine.
    In addition, if you still have the S19, try wearing it a little more, the foam in the shoulder pad seems to be able to mold itself to fit your shoulders over time. I'm not saying it'll magically transform, but it might sit better.
    Oh, and I'm short, 5'3"

I second @haraya's suggestion about putting out an ISO [in search of] here on the forum for an old-style Synapse. Just yesterday I shipped mine off to a fellow forum member, because I was one of those people who had trouble with the older style strap. Apparently, no one strap design works for everyone.

But on the plus side, I recently received a Plum Brain Bag, and those straps felt like they were part of my body from the moment I took the bag out of the box and tried it on. I'm also 5'8", but female. Perhaps you could trade in your S19 for a Brain Bag instead. It's worth asking customer service about.

One way or the other, I hope you find a solution that works for you.
    tpnl likes this.

When I read of folks wrangling with the S19 strap issue, I feel...conflicted. I'm tall, so the new S19 fits me much better--love my steel/wasabi 19. But I have this lovely navy/solar S19 (old design, with portable culture tag) that has hardly been used. I love that bag, but it's not that comfy for me. I keep wondering, should I sell/trade it? Rehome it to someone who will take it fun places? I was thinking one of my boys would want it, but they are getting taller than me...fast.
    ncb4 and itsablur like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TavaPeak View Post
    When I read of folks wrangling with the S19 strap issue, I feel...conflicted. I'm tall, so the new S19 fits me much better--love my steel/wasabi 19. But I have this lovely navy/solar S19 (old design, with portable culture tag) that has hardly been used. I love that bag, but it's not that comfy for me. I keep wondering, should I sell/trade it? Rehome it to someone who will take it fun places? I was thinking one of my boys would want it, but they are getting taller than me...fast.
    Hey TavaPeak! I'm going to be in your neck of the woods in about a week! I can't wait to see some mountains again! As to your question, do you think it's simply a height matter on the strap placement? I was thinking perhaps it would be more of a "breadth" size that would make a difference. Broad shoulders would fit better with the newer strap placement, while narrower shoulders (and possibly feminine shapes) would benefit from the older strap placement. I also have an older bag (Portable Culture, navy/UV), and I love the strap placement. I'm 5'7" and 155 pounds, so I'm definitely not a petite. I do, however, have very narrow shoulders.

If the bag definitely won't fit your family, my vote is to rehome it to someone who would enjoy it. After all, TB bags are happiest out in the wild, seeing all the lovely sights our fine globe has to offer rather than tucked away in a dark closet or drawer.

the agony! ;-)

Question....Is the strap placement changed wider on the 25 and the 19? Or is this just the 19?

I am 5'11", male, but very skinny with average/smallish frame. Because the 25 seems to fit guys that are broader than me in the pics I have seen, I am still undecided between the two sizes. But, this strap placement thing I just found out about, and throws a new wrench in the gears now.

Not sure If I should also look for an older model one instead, or just try the newer style. I hate to have to do a bunch of trying out, sending back, trying different one, etc....and just really want a new bag, NOW! lol. But, any advice on the strap placement for a guy my size? And also of course which size synapse?

thanks!
    dave

Dave, the strap placement change was implemented on BOTH the 19 and the 25. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by d.weglarz View Post
    QAnd also of course which size synapse?
    Since you are very thin, I think either might look OK on you. My partner is 5'10" and plump, and the S19 looks teeny because he's broad. So I think the main question re which size is how much and what you expect to be carrying on a daily basis. And your style of packing. What are your habits?

Just to give you an example, I am an organised, everything-must-be-in-the-right-place kind of person, but my tidiness goes out the window when I'm "packing" my bag. Also, my 13" laptop kind of eats up space in my S19. So, my default Synapse for school and other heavy days is the S25 despite the fact that I'm only 5'3". My S19 is really more like a purse (i.e. Cafe Bag) replacement when I'm carrying my deadweight 22oz. Lifefactory bottle and/or when I want both hands free.

Interesting...It's funny, really. Well, up until finding this forum over the past year or so, and lurking and looking at pics and whatnot, I've always used my bag mainly as an edc bag for my gear, and a lot of the time laptop bag also. I've been through a lot of bags, mostly messenger/briefcase style bags, and just really feeling the need to go back to 2 strap for my neck and back. But, I am young, and in shape, just get a lot of strain from the 1 shoulder bags, unless I am not carrying the laptop that day, which then isn't bad. But, usually I carry miscellaneous crap, like a sweater in the main pocket, 13" mbp, chargers/cables, maybe a book, always a flashlight and a knife or two, tons of other smaller stuff like a leatherman multitool, pens/keys, and probably some other little stuff I'm not thinking of right now.

But, since really finding this forum, and seeing that I am not the only one with an obsession for bags and gear, but the way I learned of seeing how much fun you guys have just packing the stuff up, really has gotten me more organized, but with my new TB bag and some accessories, hopefully I can take that to the next level. Even though I'm sure I can carry my usual stuff in either size bag, or any bag for that matter, I still need to know exactly where my stuff is, what pocket, etc. So, i don't know, I feel pretty happy I found this forum and you guys. But, my girl is sitting next to me right now watching me, pretty fed up with that look she gets, so I better wrap this up for now.
    I guess Im more concerned with how the bag is gonna sit and feel on my back, and really want the bag to never leave my side. Thats why I kinda am concerned with the larger size. I feel like the smaller one will be better for every day running around. But, since I really want to get some packing cubes, or some cool goodies to go along with it, I am sure I will be finding more crap to throw in them, so Im sure my load out will be growing real soon. But, again, mostly carrying my laptop(13"), and maybe a sweater, and then mostly the little cool stuff I love.
    So, on the other hand Im hearing how the laptop does eat up room like you say, and hate to feel like I should have went for the extra space. I just see the bag on the bigger dudes, and it looks great. Just worried since I'm thin and like 5'10-5'11"ish, it may look a bit long down my back. I hope that all makes sense....
    dave

Quote Originally Posted by d.weglarz View Post
    So, on the other hand Im hearing how the laptop does eat up room like you say, and hate to feel like I should have went for the extra space. I just see the bag on the bigger dudes, and it looks great. Just worried since I'm thin and like 5'10-5'11"ish, it may look a bit long down my back.
    Hm, I think some of it may depend on your torso length. Some folks have long torsos and short legs, like my partner. Other folks, like my dad, get their height mainly from their long legs. The S25 may look a bit long if you're short up there. However, if you're broad-shouldered, that may offset the general big-ness of the bag. (I am a thin but broad-shouldered female. I suspect that's why I look OK carrying the Brain Bag.)

One more factor, IMO, that may affect how it looks on you is the colour. Are you going to get something bright? A bright colour like orange might make you look shrimpy. I am inclined to say that you should go for the S25, but in a dark, unobtrusive colour like navy, cocoa, or black. (The Synapses look very sleek in black Cordura, I must say!) Plus, if this is a bag that's going with you to hell and back, best play safe and get a neutral shade.

Right, so I made my partner (grudgingly) model a rather heavily-packed S25. It has two A4 binders and size 3 and 4 TSSes containing (respectively) a non-wrinkling suit jacket and a rain jacket + foldable umbrella. The bottom pocket also contains a Side Effect. As you can see, it's far from full, but there is lots of bulky stuff inside. Just so you get an idea of what it looks like when its depth is close to maxed-out! (My freshly-ironed jeans apologise, once again, for intruding.)

Brights colours can make a bag look real big. (I suggest saying no to Burnt Orange and French Blue if you want a S25.)

Name:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 141
Size:  97.6 KB

It can be quite bulky when its depth is packed at close to max capacity.

Name:  photo 2.JPG
Views: 137
Size:  100.2 KB

What's inside:

Name:  photo 3.JPG
Views: 127
Size:  146.9 KB

HTH at least a little!

ETA!! The straps are comfy for him.
    Last edited by adalangdon; 07-27-2014 at 06:42 AM.

New backpack strap placement on Synapse 19?

Eh! Upon further reflection, I would highly recommend getting both, maybe in different colours, and seeing which works best for you. It's a pain in the @$$, I know, but it's the surest way of making sure you're getting what you want.

Firstly, it's hard to predict whether the current strap will fit your build, based on what I've read on the forums so far. Secondly, as you might have gathered from my long-winded posts above, there are lots of factors to consider when deciding which size to get. I feel these issues can be discussed endlessly in the abstract! The best way to find out what's perfect is to load up a bag and carry it around the house. Run, walk, squat, bend down, cook dinner, bike, etc. with it on, while carrying different loadouts. Or something.

The only real downsides to getting both are 1) a real risk of keeping both; 2) paying for return shipping (but I hear it isn't too much).
    Last edited by adalangdon; 07-27-2014 at 05:20 AM.
    ISO: Old TB stuff! But especially Turquoise/Cayenne, Plum/Cayenne, Pine/Wasabi MCBs, Kiwi, Ultrasuede LSes, Pink Swift, Ego seat belt buckle strips, anything in Sage, Hemp, Crimson ballistic & Indigo ballistic

Wow. I can't tell you how much I love the fact that people here are so willing to take time out to help someone in so much detail from so many angles. Thank you very much for that, really.
    I guess I may just have to grt both then and send the other back if I can. Well, I am sure I can because my girl really Would kill me if she saw 2 new bags around, and she WOULD know....
    Just curious with all this talk.,..is there a proper size pack that is meant for your back? As in, is the bag supposed to drop below your waist in the back? Or how high it should sit? Or, is it really just whatever works for you, since that's what ive been doing all along lol.,?
    And can I just return one that I don't love as long as it's still got the tags on? Or is it only store credit. I ask because money is a bit tight for 400 dollars in a bag right now.

How tall is your partner? And beautiful smile, btw!

Thanks again for the pics and all the advice.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well..... If you're absolutely sure about sending one of them back, I would actually suggest getting them both in the same color.
    There's the danger of finding out that the color you ABSOLUTELY love (when you see it in person), is the wrong size.
    This would actually complicate your decision making, and make sending it back harder. Just my 2 cents.

And returns are easy, they refund you through your credit card, I believe, not store credit.
    If you choose to use the return shipping label they provide, they'll deduct USD$10 from the refund, effectively capping return shipping costs at USD$10.

TOM BIHN: FAQs
    Ilkyway likes this.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0