Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree131Likes

Thread: New backpack strap placement on Synapse 19?

No problem, glad I could help!
    eWalker likes this.

My SA has the new strap positioning, it seems-- 2.25" measured using moriond's method. FWIW, I'm around 112lbs and 5'3", but have muscular and broad shoulders (16.8" shoulder-to-shoulder). Straps are perfect for me even when the straps are worn looser and without the sternum strap. Have attached a picture.

Hope a solution can be found soon!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by adalangdon; 06-05-2014 at 02:19 AM.
    SusanM and eWalker like this.

Amy
    As a post note: I've been using my Synapse 19 every day since I got it 10 days ago, and I'm glad to report that I am no longer feeling like the strap placement is an issue. Maybe I'm just used to it, but it feels quite comfortable now. I am not using the sternum strap either. The pack feels snug against my back and I'm not feeling any slippage at all when I wear it. I actually love the way it rides on my back.

I am still loving how small the pack is compared to all others I've used in the past. And I really love that it doesn't look like I'm hauling expensive computer equipment in it. In fact, when I went to Fry's the other day, I was actually carrying 2 laptops in it-- one Macbook Pro 13" in the Cache with Rails, and a Samsung 900x in a neoprene sleeve. Normally the man at the door inspects all computer bags so he can put a sticker on your laptop to verify it's yours when you leave. Well, that day, he just waved me through with my Synapse on my back. Even with 2 laptops in it, it was so low-profile and unassuming that it looked no bigger than an average purse!

I think that's why the black ones are called ninja bags, it seems the non black ones are capable of subterfuge too!
    It's time to consider a career in espionage!

I was one of the users who complained about the strap placement originally. I have had the S19 for a couple of months now and, more importantly, have just returned from a walking holiday on the Ligurian Coast where I used the S19 for hard daily treks in hot and humid conditions and as my carry-on. I now no longer have an issue with the strap placement and have removed the sternum strap. It may be that the straps are simply awkward after being flat-packed for delivery or that they adjust to the wearer (or vice-versa but not, I think, in my case).

Whatever, by the end of the holiday I was very happy with the straps and with the S19 generally. With the exception of putting loose change into the bottle pocket when going through security (it was empty so seemed a logical thing to do). I had forgotten the thread here about holes between that pocket and the main pocket, which is where my loose change ended up. Live and learn.

Geoff
    eWalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moosezilla View Post
    Heard that! Let's start a wide backed, squared shouldered, built like a tank club!
    LOL! You may send me the forms and issue my membership card! Why do you think my avatar is a panda!

After much research and experimenting I found out that the best way to travel light was to became lighter! Smaller outfits = less weight!
    Last edited by eWalker; 06-18-2014 at 06:15 AM.
    WenV and tpnl like this.
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

Just wanted to add...I had one of the original Synapse 19's but gave it to my sister because the straps would dig into my shoulders. After hearing that the straps had been moved wider apart, I decided to order a new s19 in black parapack. I'm very happy to report that the newer design fits me very well and the straps no longer dig. The s19 will be replacing my old bag as my new EDC backpack.

Quote Originally Posted by eWalker View Post
    LOL! You may send me the forms and issue my membership card! Why do you think my avatar is a panda!

After much research and experimenting I found out that the best way to travel light was to became lighter! Smaller outfits = less weight!
    What? I always thought you settled on that avatar because you're covered in black and white fur, are exceptionally adorable and love Chinese food....

Regarding the S19 straps, mine fit ok from the start, and after a couple of weeks of use, seems to have further molded themselves to fit me more, almost like a second skin. But this can be a sweaty situation in tropical weather lol
    They are comfortable, and get even more comfortable after molding.

Hope the narrower strap will be coming back to S19 soon! I'm 5'1" and have a SA bought this year's April. The strap is approx 2" apart; I would not say the bag is uncomfortable but if the strap is closer, I will not constantly adjusting the strap because I am not using the chest strap.

Hi,

I'm 5'10" and about 160 lbs (and a guy). I got my synapse 25 a few months ago, and haven't had a chance to use it much. But I'm on a vacation now, with lots of walking, and I can say that for me the outer edge of the straps really dig into my arms/armpits. but if I keep the chest strap tightened, this is not a problem. Which is too bad because I don't like using chest straps very much.

I don't know if this is due to the narrowness of how the straps are placed, but this is the first time I've had such an issue with backpack straps. On the flipside, I like the organization of the pack as it makes most of the stuff I want to carry easy to access.

Hi,
    I'm 6'3", 185 lbs, 16" neck and 38 inch chest. I also need to use the chest straps. I think that the issue is not the width of the straps, but the lower attachment of the straps. I think it would be better to mount the straps at the lowest point of the bag.

Nli
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    .....I can say that for me the outer edge of the straps really dig into my arms/armpits. but if I keep the chest strap tightened, this is not a problem. Which is too bad because I don't like using chest straps very much.
    I still LOVE my S19 (mine is steel dyneema / wasabi). I have carried a number of other bags several times since buying the S19 but always come back to it. The amazing organizational options, structure, etc. make it a unique and indispensible EDC bag for me - I love always knowing where every single thing is - no rummaging needed. That said, as I have posted before, the top carry strap was a disappointment so, per forum recommendations, I covered it with black paracord and now it's great. The backpack straps continue to be a huge disappointment, though. I have worn the bag very low and very high. For me it makes no difference - the straps always dig into the inside of my arms. I have learned that I cannot carry the bag more than an hour while wearing sleeveless shirts without becoming chafed on the inside of my arms. As noted by @Rufus and @ Erzengel, the chest straps help me, too, but I don't like extra straps dangling around. Solution: I carry another bag for day hikes OR mostly just wear long sleeves. Continued disappointment but the S19 remains my favorite despite the straps. I continue to fiddle with it, looking for a solution. If someone has found one, please post!
    Rufus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by allen2oo3 View Post
    Just wanted to add...I had one of the original Synapse 19's but gave it to my sister because the straps would dig into my shoulders. After hearing that the straps had been moved wider apart, I decided to order a new s19 in black parapack. I'm very happy to report that the newer design fits me very well and the straps no longer dig. The s19 will be replacing my old bag as my new EDC backpack.
    This is just the kind of information I was hoping to find: thanks, @allen2oo3! I have an Indigo S19 that is a few years old, and though I have always loved the bag, I have always had trouble with the straps digging painfully into the upper chest/underarm area. I shortened the straps to carry the bag higher, and routinely use the sternum and waist straps, which did help somewhat. And I thought that was that...until I got my Plum Brain Bag this week. When I put that bag on, the straps were instantly comfortable, with no adjustment at all. It was like they were a part of my body. The difference for me is astounding. So now I'm thinking of selling or trading my Indigo S19 and perhaps getting a new-generation S19 with the wider strap placement. Hearing that you had the same problem with the original S19, and that it was fixed with the current S19, helps me a lot.

Again, thanks!

~Nancy

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ncb4 View Post
    This is just the kind of information I was hoping to find: thanks, @allen2oo3! I have an Indigo S19 that is a few years old, and though I have always loved the bag, I have always had trouble with the straps digging painfully into the upper chest/underarm area. I shortened the straps to carry the bag higher, and routinely use the sternum and waist straps, which did help somewhat. And I thought that was that...until I got my Plum Brain Bag this week. When I put that bag on, the straps were instantly comfortable, with no adjustment at all. It was like they were a part of my body. The difference for me is astounding. So now I'm thinking of selling or trading my Indigo S19 and perhaps getting a new-generation S19 with the wider strap placement. Hearing that you had the same problem with the original S19, and that it was fixed with the current S19, helps me a lot.

Again, thanks!

~Nancy
    @ncb4 Nancy, since indigo has always been a popular color on the forums, and is no longer available, and since there are also new forum members for whom the old strap spacing is a better fit, please consider carefully what you do with your original Synapse, should you decide on this course of action. (I'm just personally glad of my original Indigo/Solar Synapse, since the closer strap placement is a better fit for me!)

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 07-17-2014 at 06:14 PM. Reason: spelling typos!

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @ncb4 Nancy, since indigo has always been a popular color on the forums, and is no longer available, and since there are also new forum members for whom the old strap spacing is a better fit, please consider carefully what you do with your original Dynapse, should you decide on this course of action. (I'm just personally glad of my original Indigo/Solar Synapse, since the closer strap placement is a better fit for me!)

moriond
    Don't worry, @moriond! Although I'm not quite sure how to go about it, I would definitely prefer to find a loving home for my Indigo S19 here on the forum, for those who either love Indigo as much as I do, or who need the old strap placement. Maybe I should list it on the Bag Swap thread.

~Nancy

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0