MacBook Pro 15" Retina sleeve so darn tight- something slightly larger?

I've just received my Synapse 25 with the MBP-R 15" Cache Sleeve (Retina 15 tag inside), and it is a bear to slide my laptop in and out of, and with the addition of a Speck See Thru Satin Cover, it is all I can do to retrieve and replace.

Any suggestions on a slightly larger cache that will fit the rails in my Synapse and allow my MBP to slide in and out without so much effort (not fall out, but not take extreme effort).

Hoping the TB will let me exchange, as the whole kit is only two-days old.

Thanks,

Greg

Volunteer Moderator
    Dear Greg,

Welcome to the forum!

When I was using the 15" Retina Macbook Pro with the Cache, I also found it to be snug. If memory serves me correctly, the size 4Z cache is designed for the legacy unibody 15" Macbook Pro. You could try using that instead of the one designed for the Retina version.

Perhaps someone who has the size 4Z cache and a 16" Retina Macbook Pro can confirm.

With kind regards,
    -m

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    Dear Greg,

Welcome to the forum!

When I was using the 15" Retina Macbook Pro with the Cache, I also found it to be snug. If memory serves me correctly, the size 4Z cache is designed for the legacy unibody 15" Macbook Pro. You could try using that instead of the one designed for the Retina version.

Perhaps someone who has the size 4Z cache and a 16" Retina Macbook Pro can confirm.

With kind regards,
    -m
    Thanks Maverick,

I'm game on trying that- maybe someone else out there has some experience, as you said.

Greg

Volunteer Moderator
    Hi Greg,

I'm not using the 15" Retina MacBook Pro with the Cache on Rails, but I am using the 13" Retina MacBook Pro and Cache on Rails. My experience is that the current caches on rails fit more tightly than the previous generation caches (both the ones without rails and the ones with rails for the original Cadet design, and all made with the denser foam), and that these are not really designed to be used with a case.

This tighter fit is most noticeable in the design of the vertical caches with rails for the backpacks. Here's a direct link to the popup that gives the inner dimensions for the current model caches with rails.

To briefly summarize, for the 15" Retina MacBook Pro, inner dimensions are: 9.7"14.1" 0.7" (247 359 18 mm)
    The size 4Z cache, designed for older, non-Retina 15.4" MacBook Pros, has dimensions: 9.8"14.3" 1.2" (249 364 30 mm)

Note that's quite a large difference in thickness (1.2" down to 0.7") for the 15" Retinal MacBook Pro down from the 15" MacBook Pro.

For the 13" Retinal MacBook Pro with a case on, I find that I can use the 13" MacBook Air vertical cache with rails, which seems to work both for my 13" MacBook Air and 13" Retinal MacBook Pro with cases on. (Maybe it's just that my MacBook Air case is thin?)

Inner dimensions of 13" Retinal MacBook Pro: 8.6"12.4" 0.7" (219 314 18 mm)
    For 13" MacBook Air: 8.9"12.8" 0.7" (227 325 17 mm)
    And for 13" MacBook Pro (6z): 9.1"13" 1.1" (232 330 28 mm)

The difference in size between 13" MacBook Air and 13" Retinal MacBook Pro is much less than in the case of the cache offerings for the 15" Mac models.

I don't find that the new horizontal brain cells with rails are as tight a fit for the 13" MacBook (Retinal Pro and Air) models with cases on. Just my experience FWIW. YMMV. I don't have direct experience with the 15" MacBook caches.

moriond

4Z is definitely more roomy, and fine for my needs- I'm sure to tuck the top whenever I but the MBP in the case because it is that roomy, and I zip the top of the Synapse 25. I'm keeping it, and glad for some insight from all of you.

Greg