Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Extra tether sites inside the S19?

Extra tether sites inside the S19?

I use my S19 as my workday EDC, with a MacBook Air cache attached to the rear side. I'd like to be able to tether items to the opposite side of the interior, e.g. I have several of these cute recycled shopping bags that scrunch up into a tiny pouch with a carabiner.

However there are no o-rings in this part of the S19, so I was wondering if I could thread a 1" triangular metal hook (from the parts list) through the unused cache loops and use that instead. Anyone tried this, or something similar?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs)
    On their way: DLBP, 3DFOCs, another YSS!
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Scribe, I can't post links but if you find HYPEeractive's thread dated 11.15.13 and titled utilizing the upper part of the Synapse 25 main compartment you might find some posts of interest.
    Moose
    scribe and eWalker like this.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Volunteer Moderator
    @scribe and others,

I also like or use the (retired) Kit in the top of my Synapses. It's actually easier to see how this works I the larger Synapse 25, but I've also been using it in my Synapse 19 backpacks, sometimes turned upside down or angled when positioned at the top. (Not sure this is as useful when you use the longer A4 paper in the S19, but it definitely works well with A4 in the S25. I'll quote my post in another thread

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    I'm not sure whether this will help anyone, since the Kit has already been retired, but I've always found this to be a conveniently shaped bag to carry at the top of my Synapse (sometimes upside down), because its triangular shape fits the tapering dimensions at the top of the bag where the Synapse narrows. Most people seem to have used this for toiletries, or as a "Dopp Kit", but I've used this for the same sorts of things that I put into the 3D organizer cubs. Plus, if there are items that might roll placed in the Kit, the broad, flat bottom assures they won't.

And the Kit in Kiwi looks great with Indigo, Plum, Navy, Nordic, Aubergine, Black, etc.

moriond
    Here's a sample picture (just taken with my iPad) of a Kiwi Kit sitting at the top of my 400d Steel Dyneema/Wasabi S25. That Kit is over 6 years old.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396669452.112525.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  107.7 KB

You can read more/see more pictures in the original thread on Introducing the Style Kit Pouch (I just realized that the front view pictures that show how nicely it fits on top of the bag don't show the triangular shaped side profile that makes this fit well at the top. You'll have to look at the images in the linked thread.

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 04-04-2014 at 08:50 PM.

Thanks, @moriond - I found a link to the old Kit product page, so I know what you mean about the triangular shape.

I ended up emailing TB customer services, as they've been very helpful in tweaking my current order (aka adding more stuff I couldn't resist!), and Beau confirmed that the 1" triangles fit the loops. When they get here, I'll take a photo and add it to this thread
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Took a while to get around to it, but here's the triangle clips in action - one has a small yarn stuff sack attached:

Name:  triangles.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  79.3 KB

(Apologies for the meh photo - I used my phone because I'm lazy!)
    Collections:

I wished the space in the triangle clip had a Gatekeeper's clip opening though, that way it can be installed in the loops with no chance of movement.
    eWalker likes this.

I think the title should loose the question-mark and this threat should be moved to the "how to" section.

scribe that is great and I appreciate that you completed this. Thous "parts" go on my next order. Thank you!
    scribe and eWalker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by icebeng View Post
    I wished the space in the triangle clip had a Gatekeeper's clip opening though, that way it can be installed in the loops with no chance of movement.
    Hmmm, I wonder if you could use a fine hacksaw or sharp knife to cut the upper/outer plastic bar. So that you could install it on the loops in the same way that the sternum straps fix onto the shoulder strap webbing.

Quote Originally Posted by ceepee View Post
    Hmmm, I wonder if you could use a fine hacksaw or sharp knife to cut the upper/outer plastic bar. So that you could install it on the loops in the same way that the sternum straps fix onto the shoulder strap webbing.
    That's genius!
    But will require a pair of crafty hands.

Quote Originally Posted by icebeng View Post
    That's genius!
    But will require a pair of crafty hands.
    Or a little bit of brute force and ignorance ..... Once I can find the clips I 'put away for safe keeping' I shall give it a go

ceepee that is true pioneering that is!

Extra tether sites inside the S19?

I made the slot using the saw blade from my multi tool.

Looks pretty good and seems secure enough. I might try making the slot more central in the next one. Will be a bit more fiddly to wrangle onto the webbing but should be even more secure.

Last edited by ceepee; 05-11-2014 at 06:08 AM.

Wow you are fast and crafty! This looks so meant to be. I will copy this (no I will ask my husband to copy this but it will be copied). Emagine in how many bags this will be usefull.

Tip at TB-Crew: stock up on this triangle-hookie-things. There might be some buyers for them.

Ilkyway

Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    Tip at TB-Crew: stock up on this triangle-hookie-things. There might be some buyers for them.

Ilkyway
    Even better, source ones with slots already cut. 😀

Nice work! I might have to give this a go myself, if I can find the hacksaw...
    eWalker likes this.
    Collections:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0