Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By snowbot
  • 2 Post By KmK

Thread: The Road Less Obvious?

KmK

The Road Less Obvious?

All seasoned travelers out there... I have a flight this week and think I'm going to be stuck with zone number ba-zillion...but still want to carry on my meager belongings...for this trip, two 3 gallon zip lock bags of clothing, sat upon to remove air, 311 bag, IPad, granola bars, and an assortment of other whatnot one carries.

My question is this...assuming that by the time I get up there, they are going to be eyeballing every bag to check it through, which bag would you use to draw less attention? My available options are a SuperEgo and a Tristar. Both easily hold what I will need with plenty of room to spare...but which one do you think would "pass" most easily? Thanks for any insight!

I think you would be fine with either bag... both will fit under your seat if there's no overhead storage space available. But all things being equal, the smaller bag (the SuperEgo) will attract less attention, especially since it looks like a briefcase. I am guessing you already own both bags, so test pack and see how it works out.

I have the TriStar and travel every week with it (and love it) and I'd be curious how you'd compare it with the SuperEgo. When I travel for the week I take my TriStar along with a briefcase containing my computer and all my non-clothing items. Would the SuperEgo work as a combined briefcase and travel bag for a shorter (2 or 3 day) trip?
    Thanks, Steve

If you are asked to check your bag at the gate, tell the gate agent that the contents are fragile and that you will put the bag under the seat in front of you.

KmK
    Yes, giantsteve, I think the SuperEgo could work well... one of the things I love about it is the balance of places to put different sorts of things. For me, clothing goes in the big open space with the Ipad nestled in its case. The under-the-flap space contains all other stuff with ease. How well it would work for you would depend in large part on the size of your computer...If it is on the thin to medium size, then I'd say you'd be just fine.

KmK, Thanks for your insights. I travel with an 11" MacBook Air so my computer is very small. How much clothing can you fit into the main compartment? Do you use any packing cubes for clothing? I know the width is listed as 17" but do you think an 18" Eagle Creek Folder could be accommodated?

KmK
    GiantSteve,

I don't use packing cubes...I go low tech and have 3 gallon ziplocks that work quite well. I pack them, sit on them, and zip them shut...they flatten well! For this trip, I fit pajamas, a pair of khakis, a pair of jeans, 4 sets of socks/unders, a cotton sweater, a stretch tee, and a lightweight scarf into two of those bags. They both slid in to the main compartment with ease and left me room for the 311 bag, a book, a brush, and an IPad. Charger and granola bars in the front section and a Large Cafe Bag that holds a Side Effect, Sudoku, and my phone/earphones in a pouch. The Super Ego is a grand bag to use for traveling!

I bought packing cubes. But I do as @KmK does, particularly when my bags are underpacked. My clothes stay put flat in th ziplock bags after I squeeze out the air. The bags can't float around in my bags and not bunch up on one end. The cubes are great when I stuff them full.
    Last edited by Walker; 04-02-2014 at 04:26 PM.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0