What is the best thing to carry a Kindle Fire HD 7"?

Hi, all. Looking for a pouch for my Kindle 7" tablet. I think I would prefer one with an attachment to an o-ring. The Nook pouch? A padded organizer pouch? Anyone have a solution that works well? Thanks.

After advice from Moriond, I purchased a medium padded organiser pouch for my iPad mini. This has the snaphook you want for O-Ring attachment as well as great protection and a zip that stops your valuable electronics from falling out.

It is absolutely perfect for the iPad mini. Not sure about the dimensions of your Kindle, so check first ...

I have taken pictures of the Kindle 7'' HDX with and without the origami case that Amazon sells in the following TB pouches: iPad mini cache, the Medium padded OP, and the Nook tablet pouch. If I were going to use a TB case for my Kindle, I think that I would use the iPad mini cache--it works really well on the Kindle both with and without the case. There is a little bit of room at the top of the cache when the Kindle is in it, but that doesn't bother me as much as the excess inches on either side of the devise when it is in the Medium OP. The Kindle does not fit in the Nook pouch at all, because the mouth of the pouch is a bit too narrow. I think that you could push it in, but I didn't want to risk scratching my Kindle on the zipper--so I don't think that that would be a good day to day solution. Hope these photos help. Attachment 5890Attachment 5891Attachment 5892Attachment 5893Attachment 5894

Sorry if the photos are difficult to see, given that everything is black. The first 4 are the iPad mini cache, the next 2 are the Medium OP, and the last ones are the Nook pouch. Re-reading your post, I realize that you want the o-ring attachment, so I would definitely recommend the Medium OP. I just measured and there are 2.25cm wiggle room on either side of the device when it is in the Medium OP without the Kindle case on.

Incidentally, I find that the Nook pouch is the perfect size for storing and transporting my mini Jambox.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdabags View Post
    Hi, all. Looking for a pouch for my Kindle 7" tablet. I think I would prefer one with an attachment to an o-ring. The Nook pouch? A padded organizer pouch? Anyone have a solution that works well? Thanks.
    @luvdabags Check the entries for the 7" Tablet Caches You could use either the 7" Vertical Tablet 131 or the 7" Horizontal Tablet 194. Another option would be to use the slightly larger Medium Padded Organizer Pouch which has a zipper and a snap hook. The recently discontinued Kindlle Fire/Keyboard Pouch was basically a vertical pouch, either padded or Ultrasuede, that was about the size of the Medium Organizer or Padded Pouch but slightly tapered at the bottom, and with a top zipper and snaphook. Here's a picture of my Kindle Paperwhite lying on top of the old Kindle Fire/Keyboard Pouch in Cork, which is in turn resting on top of my open Field Journal Notebook.

The main difference between the Kindle Pouch and the Medium (Padded) Organizer Pouch, apart from the vertical orientation and zipper, was that with the slightly tapered design, you could fit the Kindle Pouch (at least with the earlier Cork or Cocoa Ultrasuede versions) into the zipped up Field Journal Notebook, while using a Medium Organizer Pouch is slightly too bulky.

I don't have a Kindle Fire, but with the move to smaller Kindles and other 7" tablets, I think they decided to discontinue the specialized Kindle and Nook tapered pouches in favor of caches. The medium padded pouch is still a good option if you want the zipper and snaphook. The slightly larger size does mean you can't carry it inside the closed FJN. I also used the tapered bottom in the Kindle Pouch to easily slip it into the water bottle pocket of my Synapse 19:

For the Kindle Paperwhite, I could also use the padded pouch for the MacBook Air SuperDrive, although I now carry it in my Side Effect. and for completeness, that's a packed Eagle Creek Specter II Quarter Packing Cube going into the water bottle pocket in front of the cork Kindle pouch. (That cube is about the size of the #2 Travel Stuff Sack - just a little smaller.)

ETA: I've included the Cache for the iPad Mini to the list, following mjpinter's post. I think the dimensions are the exterior dimensions.

Here's a list of the dimensions/specs of your options, ordered by size, starting with the caches in horizontal and vertical format, and including the specs of the no-longer-available Kindle Fire/Keyboard Pouch

Cache for iPad Mini
    Dimensions: 7.87" x 5.3" x 0.28" / 200 x 134.7 x 7.2 mm
    Fits the iPad mini with or without the Smart Cover

7" Horizontal Tablet 194: Interior Dimensions - 5.16" x 7.64" / 131 x 194 mm; Exterior Dimensions - 5.66" x 8.14" / 144 x 207 mm ; Weight: 2.3 oz / 65 grams

7" Vertical Tablet 131: Interior Dimensions - 5.16" x 7.80" / 131 x 198 mm; External Dimensions - 5.66" x 8.3" / 144 x 211 mm; Weight: 2.3 oz / 65 grams

Kindle Pouch (sold out in February/March 2014)
    External Dimensions: 6.9" x 9.5" / 175 x 240 mm
    Weight: Ultrasuede®: 1.6 oz / 45 grams; Padded: 2.2 oz / 65 grams

Padded Medium: External Dimensions - 10.3" x 7" / 260 x 180 mm; Weight: 2.8 oz / 80 grams

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 03-31-2014 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Added iPad Mini Cache Dimensions

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mjpinter View Post
    If I were going to use a TB case for my Kindle, I think that I would use the iPad mini cache--it works really well on the Kindle both with and without the case. There is a little bit of room at the top of the cache when the Kindle is in it, but that doesn't bother me as much as the excess inches on either side of the devise when it is in the Medium OP.
    @mjpinter I think that the 7" Tablet pouches that I reference in my post are meant to be slightly shorter than the iPad Mini Cache to better match the Kindle HD. But that depends on whether the dimensions they gave for the iPad Mini Cache are interior or exterior dimensions. If they are interior dimensions, then the 7" Tablet caches that they now seem to be designating for the Kindle HD are a better fit. Incidentally, I've posted before about this, and also mentioned this to Beau when I recently phoned in to add the Double Organizer Pouches to an order, but I think the current status of web site information pouch/cache sizes for small tablets and iPad Minis is very confused, and needs fixing -- witness all these posts!

moriond

Thanks all. I have a (heavy but really padded) Timbuk2 case for the Kindle, but wanted something that would tether in the bag. Looks like the medium padded pouch is best option for that.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0