Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jannilee
  • 1 Post By Badger

Thread: Co-Pilot Too Much If Taking Aeronaut to Europe

Co-Pilot Too Much If Taking Aeronaut to Europe

Got my new Aeronaut and now I am thinking I should get the Co-Pilot. My plan is to carry on only and travel light while in Rome, Italy for 9 days. Do I really need to get a Co-Pilot? Won't I be fine with travelling just with my new Aeronaut? Help!

What do you plan to use as a day bag?
    snowbot likes this.

I lived in Berlin for 2 months this winter and only took my Aeronaut, CP, and SCB. I used my CP for school and used the SCB when I was out and about. I did carry the CP for hours on end throughout the city and never had any problems and it held everything I needed with room to spare!

Do you normally carry a daybag when touring? Do you want to keep personal items with you on the plane while stashing your main bag overhead?
    If so, I would get something Co-Pilot-sized or a small backpack. Sorry, I couldn't immediately tell your gender from your screen-name. If you're female, maybe a purse that packs flat inside the Aeronaut if you want to be streamlined. The Kipling Alvar, which another forum member suggested to me, is very compact. It will not take a water bottle or umbrella the way the Co-Pilot will, though.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

Great. Yes I am a female. Was worried about pick pocketing in Rome so I was not planning on using the CP for during the day. Was looking into a Scottevest too.

The Eddie Bauer -- Travex Connect Tech Travel Bag. Not even 2 inches in depth. See here: Travex® Connect Tech Travel Bag | Eddie Bauer

Pickpockets do abound in Rome, but one advantage of the CP is that you can wear the strap cross-body and hold the bag in front of you when waiting in queues, in the train station, and outside museums and the Coliseum, etc. You didn't say when you're traveling, but if it's any time after June and you plan to be out and about all day, you need to figure out a way to carry water, a hat, and possibly something to cover your shoulders if you're going into churches. A little bag can be super handy for that stuff, but the short answer is no, you don't need it to be a CP. Frankly, a plastic bag from the tabacchi can be enough to hold your water and sunscreen, and will help you blend in with all the other people carrying shopping bags (that don't say Furla on the outside).

9 days in spring/summer is very doable with an Aeronaut. Have a great time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just looked at the bag you linked to and it looks like it could hold a tablet and not much else. Could be useful as an under-seat bag but probably couldn't do double-duty as a EDC bag if you ended up wanting one while in Italy. The CP, especially if you got it in Dyneema, would be able to hold a tablet plus anything you might want during the day.

What do you envision wanting/needing a little bag for on your trip?

Thanks Badger. Traveling late April. Day bag -- water, camera, sunscreen. Umbrella. Not taking a tablet.

Whatever bag you take wear it crossbody in front or high under the arm. Do not put anything you want to keep in an outer pocket. Make sure the bag zips closed. I have used the better back bag ( worn in front). It has lots of interior pockets and the main zipper sits against the body. It has room for two bottles of water and a small camera plus umbrella sunscreen, maps and guidebook bits. I have also used pacsafe bags which are ubersecure but quite heavy. Paying attention whereever you are is the best defense against pickpockets. Watch out for distractions such as arguments or asking for directions. (My rall redhaired friend was asked for directions in Barcelona when she was supposed to be watching my back at the bank machine - sheesh!) Oh yeah, and carry the bag on the side away from the street.

Carry only the money you think you will need and never carry your bank card and credit card in the same place.

Co-Pilot Too Much If Taking Aeronaut to Europe

You know, maybe the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag would be a good choice, especially since you're not taking too much. On the plane, it could hold your in-flight necessities under the seat, and you could use it as a low-profile day bag in Rome. I second everything jannilee said about being vigilant whenever you are out and about, and yes, be really careful at the ATM. Italian ATMs can be frustrating (more than once I have had an ATM not actually give me cash), so it's good to get cash out while the bank is open, just in case. April is a great time, not humid, and there should be loads of amazing Easter pastries to buy. If you need a day trip, consider Orvieto. It's like an hour and change from Roma termini and would give you a chance to take in a very impressive duomo, Umbrian ceramics, and dirt cheap white wine. My favorite gelato in the whole country can be procured from the place to the left of the duomo if you are facing it.

So. Jealous.

ETA: the PCSB fits very well in the end pocket of the Aeronaut.

eWalker likes this.

Seconding all the "watch out for pick-pockets" warnings, but also - just keep it simple, and keep it close. The Scottevests seem cool, but nothing screams "Tourist! Come steal my stuff!" like a vest. I spent two months in Italy, and never wore the vest I took - what a waste of money. I had a small daypack for the everyday stuff like wet wipes, kleenex, snacks, etc. The crucial stuff - passport, cash, cards, etc., was as streamlined as possible and kept in a neck pouch that went around my neck and under my shirt. I kept a bit of cash (enough for bus tickets, entrance fees, a snack, etc.) in a velcro-closure pocket on my pants - this worked great, and I almost broke the finger of a pick-pocket wannabe on a subway when I felt her trying to get into my pocket. Ah, good times. Anyway - you can think this to death, but just take a simple bag (my medium cafe bag has been a great day bag on my foreign travels) and stay aware of your surroundings.

I second the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag. I used mine in Italy and came home with my wallet. The PCSB has two O rings, and I clipped my wallet to the one in the main compartment.

Took my Aeronaut and CP for a week in Rome in Feb (got lucky with perfect weather). Wore the CP cross body walking all over Rome; dog stuff, water, coin, glasses, etc. Perfect companion. When in a crush, I just pull it to the front or hang my arm over it.
    [2003] Brain Bag (w/Snake Charmer & 3 Monolith/Brain Cells)
    - [2010] Aeronaut (w/Absolute, 1lg/2sm Packing Cubes, Travel Tray & 3D clear cube)
    - - [2013] Co-Pilot (w/ mini-'Absolute', Cache, Clear Org wallet, S.O.S., 3D Clear & mesh cubes, Passport pouch)
    - - - Small dyneema Shopbag, packing cube shoulder bag & various TB stuff (organizers, straps, whistles, etc.)

Thanks all. Wonderful suggestions and reminders (including keep it simple!)

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0