Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By KmK

Thread: Downsizing to a MCB?

Downsizing to a MCB?

For those of you who have a Medium Cafe Bag, what do you think of the following:

I'm trying to downsize my "personal" carry bag during my travels. I currently have a LCB but would like something that fits easier into my main bag.

I would need it to carry: An Asus Transformer T100 (10.4" x 6.7" x 0.92 in a sleeve. (No TB Cache's come close); two TB organizer cubes stacked on top of each other and connected to the O rings inside--I sometimes go to areas where there are wandering hands who would like to have what's in my bag--to hold (2) smartphones, headphones, back up battery, cables, etc; a Nook in a TB Nook Sleeve connected to an "O" ring; a pocket size umbrella; notepad; pens/pencils; and possibly a fold up windbreaker or sweater.

This would also be the bag I keep by my feet during flights.

I'm trying to keep it as thin as possible. Am I trying to put in too much?
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

KmK
    Frank II,

I own and use regularly both an MCB and an LCB. I do think you would find it a challenge to pack all of that in the smaller of the two...and if you did, you might well feel a bit like you were walking with a lead rectangle slung across you. I imagine it would also be a challenge to take any one thing out without removing it all. The LCB offers just enough more breathing space when the load is larger, in my experience.

I also have the habit of tucking my raincoat or a light fleece between the flap and the outer zip pocket...if the load inside is larger, the push-out-pressure (sorry- didn't know what else to call it!) against the flap keeps the out wear in place.
    SusanM likes this.

I agree with KmK - you're going to struggle to fit all that in an MCB, and it's going to feel like a dead weight around your neck.

Personally I prefer a backpack for that kind of load - my EDC for work is an S19 with my Asus Chromebook in a 13" MBA cache, a waterproof jacket-in-a-bag, lunchbox, pocket umbrella, sunglasses, Kobo, notebooks and some small odds and ends. Very close to what you carry, and the S19 does a great job of making it feel like I'm carrying nothing at all!
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

I also think an S19 would be perfect. If you want a cross body bag though, maybe the co-pilot? I don't have one (yet), but from what I've seen people pack in there it seems like it would probably fit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Downsizing to a MCB?

Frank, I think Tachiyaku's suggestion is great. The one thing that I'm wondering about is how comfortable you'd be with the three outer pockets. Each side pocket of the CP could hold an organizer cube, but I'm not sure if the contents would be secure enough for your tastes. If the LCB works for you, that may end up being the best option, especially because it could swallow a coat or a jacket, whereas the MCB or CP couldn't.

Off-topic: if you are looking for a jacket that is highly compressible, check out Patagonia's Houdini. It squeezes down to about the size of a tennis ball, if I recall correctly.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Badger; 03-27-2014 at 04:32 PM.

He could always keystrap the organizer cubes to the o rings in the side pockets for added security, no?

Yes, I think so; however (and I could be wrong about this), outer pockets on any bag are vulnerable to pickpockets, although (to qualify myself yet again) one major benefit of the CP and Cafe Bags is that you can swing them around so they're in front of you rather than at your side or behind you, which might be a benefit over a backpack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No more backpacks....I want my hands free.

I'm trying to find a "day bag" that would fit inside my main carry-on. I wouldn't leave anything of value in the main carry-on while traveling but probably wouldn't carry all of that on a daily basis.

What I may do is get the MCB as my EDC and take along a packable messenger to keep anything of value at my seat while flying.

I just got this one and like it: Amazon.com: Herschel Supply Co. Packable Messenger, Black, One Size: Clothing

It packs down into a small pouch and weighs practically nothing. The strap length is 47" not the 37" listed. I wouldn't want to carry it around every day with any kind of load but as a airplane/train/bus seat bag it does the job.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0