Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By moriond

Thread: Synapse 25 and cache on rails

Synapse 25 and cache on rails

Hi everyone,

I have a 13 inch macbook air that I carry in my synapse 25 in a third party sleeve. I'm thinking of getting a cache with rails system for it, but wanted to know whether the cache is suspended in the bag or it actually hits the bottom. The point of the cache for me would be to minimize impact to my macbook air when I'm setting my bag down.

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Bump?

I suggest e-mailing the Bihn crew directly and asking them. They should be able to give you satisfaction in one or two business days. For those of is wanting to know the answer as well, you could copy the Bihn crew's reply when you get it and post it in this thread.
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Tachiyaku View Post
    Hi everyone,

I have a 13 inch macbook air that I carry in my synapse 25 in a third party sleeve. I'm thinking of getting a cache with rails system for it, but wanted to know whether the cache is suspended in the bag or it actually hits the bottom. The point of the cache for me would be to minimize impact to my macbook air when I'm setting my bag down.

Thanks!

It will suspend in the bag. Depending on what you have packed in your S25, when you set it down it may hit the bottom. If you have a loaded out bag it probably would not... it's mostly because the S25 doesn't really hold it's shape well when set down.

I have a S25 with a 15" rmbp cache with rails and there's about an inch of clearance left at the bottom of the bag when I have the cache clipped in... with a 13" mba cache I'd guess you'd have more space in there on the bottom.

Thanks tangfj. I assume the cache on rails will also help with the way the bag sits against one's back when it's fairly full. Without the rails option the laptop tends to slip down and jut out in awkward places.

MtnMan you're totally right, but people on the forums are so knowledgeable and helpful it sometimes feels like you're consulting the Bihn crew directly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tangfj View Post
    It will suspend in the bag. Depending on what you have packed in your S25, when you set it down it may hit the bottom. If you have a loaded out bag it probably would not... it's mostly because the S25 doesn't really hold it's shape well when set down.

I have a S25 with a 15" rmbp cache with rails and there's about an inch of clearance left at the bottom of the bag when I have the cache clipped in... with a 13" mba cache I'd guess you'd have more space in there on the bottom.
    @tanfj is correct about this: your 13" MBA will suspend in the S25 using the Cache with rails, and you'll also find it more comfortable wearing the S25. I use both the Synapse 19 and the Synapse 25 with 13" MacBook models (the MacBook Pro at the time of the original Synapse release, and more recently the 13" MacBook Air and 13" Retina MacBook Pro). The original Synapse (19 size) was designed for the 13" MacBook line. Whether I use a cache (vertical or horizontal) or a cache with rails for any 13" MacBook in that bag, the bottom of the cache is basically at/slightly above the point at which the waist straps and the side flaps tethering the backpack straps attach vertically at the back of the bag. While the rail design is a convenience, it's not something that makes a big difference to my use of the bag with my 13" caches (for anyone who has the first release Nordic/Steel Synapse 19 before they added the rails, extra O-rings in the bottom front pocket, and bottom webbing loop for attaching a Guardian light). The 13" Cache basically sits in the correct position and against the back of the Synapse 19 whether or not you use the rails system, and the bag easily stands up even when not full (at least for the Cordura and 400d Dyneema Synapse; there was a comment by @nukediver that she couldn't get her Parapack S19 to stand up when not full, in contrast to her earlier Cordura and 400d Dyneema Synapses of the same size).

In the Synapse 25, I think you do want to use the cache with rails for the Macs that are smaller than 15", and the bottom of the suspended cache will be just above the attachment point for the waist strap and backpack attachment flaps as before -- essentially keeping the laptop against your back for its entire length, extending through the whole bottom section of the back of the Synapse that is in contact with your back. Although it isn't featured, I can also insert a vertical Brain Cell (size 4X designed for the 15.4" MacBook Pros) into the Synapse 25 and have this carried in the correct position (without annex clip attachments), and I can put either my late 2013 13" Retina MacBook Pro into the Brain Cell or a 15" model and carry it in the Synapse 25, held in the correct position and supporting my back. This is one of the old Wasabi vertical Brain Cells designed for use with the Smart Alec. I think its 15" sizing fits the S25 the way the 13" caches worked for the Synapse 19.

HTH

moriond

ETA: The 13" caches without rails that I have all use the denser foam that is my favorite version. This was the material in use when the caches were first introduced (Charcoal Gray at the time if the first laptop caches and for the first generation iPad, then later Black). The older design Caches with rails for the Cadet, when it was first released, also used this material. I think it changed to the present fabric about the time the first iPad Mini came out, since those caches use the present material.
    Last edited by moriond; 03-29-2014 at 07:33 PM. Reason: fixed typos
    tpnl and Tachiyaku like this.

Thanks moriond! Very helpful

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0