Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Western Flyer Advantages?

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    The color choices for the WF are a bit limited, but only at the moment. At times, there are lots if WF choices and not as many TS choices. It's just the ebb and flow of supply and demand. If you're hoping for a specific color, the way to find out if it's going to be offered is to email TB customer service. If you want a WF right now, it wouldn't hurt to start an "in search of" thread with your preferred colors, keeping in mind that you may have to accept your second choice or configuration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good idea I received a fast reply from Matt:

"We have no plans at this time for any more colors than what is on the website currently - but we do like to be spontaneous with our choices so you never know! Keep an eye on our forum and blog for updates, and let me know if you have any other questions, I'm glad to help."
    Steel-Ultraviolet Western Flyer (rolling-luggage-version) | Black Cordura-Wasabi Synapse 25 | Black Dyneema-Wasabi Side Effect | Aubergine-Wasabi Co-Pilot | Navy-Iberian Co-Pilot | Iberian Travel Tray | Nordic Large Shop Bag | Ultraviolet Travel Stuff Sack Size #2 | Ultraviolet Small Clear Organizer Pouch | Kiwi Q-Kit | Steel Nano Parapack Pouch | Wasabi 3D Organizer Pouch

Well, at least you know now so you won't be waiting and wishing interminably.

What color do you want, exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Well, at least you know now so you won't be waiting and wishing interminably.

What color do you want, exactly?

I was hoping for Steel/UV or Navy/Iberian or Wasabi. Currently there is Steel/Iberian and Navy/Solar. I don't have anything in Solar, definitely would be a bright interior, haha!

You have a Steel/UV WF right? Which bag do you prefer: Tri-Star or Western Flyer?
    Steel-Ultraviolet Western Flyer (rolling-luggage-version) | Black Cordura-Wasabi Synapse 25 | Black Dyneema-Wasabi Side Effect | Aubergine-Wasabi Co-Pilot | Navy-Iberian Co-Pilot | Iberian Travel Tray | Nordic Large Shop Bag | Ultraviolet Travel Stuff Sack Size #2 | Ultraviolet Small Clear Organizer Pouch | Kiwi Q-Kit | Steel Nano Parapack Pouch | Wasabi 3D Organizer Pouch

Dyneeeeeeeemaaaaaaa! Preferably black dyneema with wasabi lining.... I keep checking for a dyneema comeback. Because the wf is the best option for minimalist packers it SHOULD be available in dyneema. (Sending out zappy ultraconvincing brainwaves)

I do indeed have a Steel/UV rolling luggage WF, which I chose because I didn't feel like the size of the bag warranted the weight of the backpack straps when they were stowed.

In reply to your question, I'm going to give you a cop-out answer and say I don't prefer one to the other because to my mind, they serve different functions. The WF is my pared-down, short conference or weekend bag (like when I'm staying at a nice hotel and don't want to arrive wearing a backpack). The TS is my extended conference bag, or what I take if I'm going on a personal trip that involves multiple changes of nice clothes (like a 3 or 4+ day destination wedding). It is totally possible to overpack either bag, as you've noted, but the WF does make me think through my packing choices a bit more carefully.

Jeff A likes this.

JLE
    I have a WF (rolling luggage sleeve version) and a TS. I prefer the WF. I find the form factor and profile are more comfortable for me (5'6 woman). It retains a rectilinear shape even when fully packed - no bulging like the TS. As a result it looks neat and streamlined on my shoulder and the lack of bulge keeps the weight closer to my centre of gravity. I am a two-bagger and I find the WF complements a personal item or large handbag very well (that's where I keep all tech gadgets, 3-1-1 and in-flight essentials as well as personal items and valuables, so the WF only has clothes, shoes/accessories and "dry" toiletries).

However, it's usually not big enough for me for trips over about 3 days, or trips where I wants to take "extras" like workout gear/shoes.

I like the luggage sleeve version. It lets me use the WF with a larger checked wheeled case (on the rare occasions I decide to use one of those!). And the extra pockets on that version are very useful, both inside and outside the bag.

HTH.
    Jeff A likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JLE View Post
    I have a WF (rolling luggage sleeve version) and a TS. I prefer the WF. I find the form factor and profile are more comfortable for me (5'6 woman). It retains a rectilinear shape even when fully packed - no bulging like the TS. As a result it looks neat and streamlined on my shoulder and the lack of bulge keeps the weight closer to my centre of gravity. I am a two-bagger and I find the WF complements a personal item or large handbag very well (that's where I keep all tech gadgets, 3-1-1 and in-flight essentials as well as personal items and valuables, so the WF only has clothes, shoes/accessories and "dry" toiletries).

However, it's usually not big enough for me for trips over about 3 days, or trips where I wants to take "extras" like workout gear/shoes.

I like the luggage sleeve version. It lets me use the WF with a larger checked wheeled case (on the rare occasions I decide to use one of those!). And the extra pockets on that version are very useful, both inside and outside the bag.

HTH.
    Excellent info, thanks! Is there another vertical pocket next to the luggage sleeve on the back? Not a lot of WF pics out there. I think having the 2 internal pockets would be great, as well. I'm mostly a 2-bagger with my Synapse 25 so the backpack version might not be needed.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff A View Post
    Excellent info, thanks! Is there another vertical pocket next to the luggage sleeve on the back? Not a lot of WF pics out there. I think having the 2 internal pockets would be great, as well. I'm mostly a 2-bagger with my Synapse 25 so the backpack version might not be needed.
    Here's a quote from one of my posts from another thread that gives links for images of the WF rolling luggage back:
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    OK. I found the blog post with pictures of the Western Flyer in Steel/Iberian. I don't recall seeing separate photos of the WF in Forest/Steel, although I know Shiva had a WF in Forest/Ultraviolet at one time. Badger posted pictures of his Steel/Ultraviolet WF (with rolling luggage case pouch option) some time earlier.
    note that the link is to the Blog images and article.this is one of the reasons why having access to blog entries before 2011 and better search options would make answering questions easier.
    Last edited by moriond; 03-25-2014 at 03:18 PM.
    Jeff A likes this.

JLE
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff A View Post
    There is a flat vertical pocket there. It fits things like a boarding pass nicely (or a small newspaper folded up - ie not the weekend paper!). And of course you can also use the luggage sleeve itself as a pocket (eg for a magazine or newspaper) by doing up the zips on the bottom.

I particularly love the two extra interior pockets. They are the perfect size for all sorts of things. I always tuck a small flat evening purse in one of them.

I should also have said in my earlier post that I tend not to put much in the front pockets but the water bottle pocket will hold a small folding umbrella very nicely. I find the other front pockets are best used for flat things, papers etc.
    Last edited by JLE; 03-25-2014 at 03:33 PM.
    Jeff A likes this.

I'm a strong Western Flyer fan! I have the Nordic/UV backpack version. I have successfully packed it for one week, taking one other bag like my Pilot or my Synapse 19. I am 5'6" and have never been known for being a light packer. This bag has converted me. If it doesn't fit, I don't take it. I've also become much more picky about the look of my bag (no barrel bag for me!) so I use packing cubes to keep things nicely organized and rectilinear. My current packing cubes are the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, which becomes my day out purse/sightseeing bag, as well as the Packing Cube Backpack bag, which I have used as my carryall at a soccer tournament last November. The rest of my packing cubes are of the eBags variety.

I find I tend to use the Western Flyer to carry clothes and shoes (although I try very hard to only bring the shoes I'm wearing, that doesn't always work out for me as a woman) as well as my very limited cosmetics (um, perhaps powder?) and my 3/1/1 bag (toothpaste, contact lens stuff). I keep the rest of my toiletries, such as my toothbrush, face cream, shampoo bar and deodorant with my cosmetics.

If I'm driving (about the case about half the time), I fudge a little by bringing a large shop bag that's folded up in the WF. Then when I get there, it becomes my hamper. I through the hamper full of dirty clothes into the vehicle and drive home with the (mostly) empty WF.

My other personal item carries my iPad, iPhone, Kindle, knitting, notebook, charger detritus, and notebook/pens along with my sunglasses. It works very well for me. If I carried a Tri-Star, I would certainly fill it up (I know myself only too well!). That's primarily why I selected the smaller bag. I needed the accountability!

I love my WF. Mine is Nordic Dyneema with backpack straps. Love the backpack straps. Last trip, lots of bus changes and walking. Wearing it as a backpack was very handy.
    Synapse 19, Travel Tray, PCSB, all in Dyneema, Side Effect and pouchmania

I also have a Nordic dyneema Western Flyer with the built-in backpack straps. It is great, at least for weekend trips. Theoretically, it is has the same interior volume as my Smart Alec, but I believe it actually holds more.
    The Tri-Star never worked for me, perhaps because I overpacked it, but it would turn into a cube that was too unwieldy to carry. Even stuffed, the WF remains slim enough to handle easily.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 03-25-2014 at 07:40 PM.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

Sigh... I missed out on the Nordic WF with backpack straps... Will have to keep a watchful eye on eBay just in case...
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

I'm new to the WF but have taken it on a few trips already. I have the non-backpack version and it can hold, quite easily, 4 days worth of clothes. For a super casual trip, I could squeeze a week out of the WF. I chose it because of its smaller size as compared to other TB bags and my Red Oxx Sky Train which I find a bit big for shorter trips. I find the WF packing cubes to be an essential part of the bag as they keep my packing streamlined. As with most bags, it's possible to overstuff and they become bulky and ugly but with the packing cubes, I pack the right amount and it fits easily into the bag. Frankly, if clothing were the only thing I took, the WF would soon be my most used bag. But I still (usually) overpack camera stuff so my bigger bags will still get plenty of use. The biggest drawback of the WF is minor one: I don't like or have much use for the water bottle compartment. That compartment ends up being sort of wasted space for the way I travel but I'm still trying to figure out ways to utilize it.
    Jeff A likes this.

Thanks for all the info! I wonder if my Side Effect would fit inside the water bottle pocket?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0