Question about the parapack material in the Guide's Pack pockets

Does anyone know if the parapack material used for the Guide's Pack pockets is single-ply, like the fabric 3D Organizer cube, or double-ply like in the Brain Bag? I'd also like to ask if you know the answer re: the new Side Effect.

I find that in single-ply, I prefer 200d Dyneema, but in double-ply the Parapack is delightful.

I have the Guide's Pack Leader's Pocket.

From what I can see it is double-ply because there is padding between the two layers. There is only a small section (a few mm wide) hidden between the interior fabric lip and the zipper that seems to be single-ply. Outside there is a double-ply cover over the zippers and the back zippered pocket makes that area triple-ply. The bottom is also double-ply.
    Now, to make sure we are on the same page, my understanding of the Brain Bag being double ply means that both the interior and exterior fabric is Parapack.

With the padding in the Leader's Pocket, it makes it an excellent protective case for fragile electronics. Also, with the webbing loops in the back, it turns it into a waist bag (using one of the removable backpack waist straps) or a shoulder bag (using a double carabiner and any clip on shoulder strap - like the Absolute Shoulder Strap).

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 03-22-2014 at 11:04 PM.
    Zephyr (Black/Steel), S25 (Black/Iberian), SA (Black/Steel), BB (Back/Steel), A45 (Black/Iberian), TS (Black/Iberian), WF (/Crimson/Steel), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel), , CP (Black/Steel), Ego (Black/Steel/Indigo Stripe), Vertical Brain Cells, FS, Camera I/O, 400d Nordic PCBP/PCSB/TT, SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket, YSS

Thank you! That was just the info I was looking for. And yes, by double-ply on the Brain Bag I mean that there are two sheets of parapack: one black for the exterior, and one colored (mine is steel) for the interior. If you pinch them between your fingers you can feel the sheets separate. It gives the parapack a very nice feeling of substance.

Quote Originally Posted by jwiegley View Post
    Thank you! That was just the info I was looking for. And yes, by double-ply on the Brain Bag I mean that there are two sheets of parapack: one black for the exterior, and one colored (mine is steel) for the interior. If you pinch them between your fingers you can feel the sheets separate. It gives the parapack a very nice feeling of substance.
    ??? My BrainBag is single-ply throughout.
    Blue Parapack Brain Bag with Brain Cell

Feijai

What we are calling double-ply in the BB is a single layer Parapack exterior and lined in the interior with another Parapack layer - an analogy to the Synapse would be that the Synapse has a Parapack exterior and lined in the interior with a Dyneema layer (ie. in this case a double-ply but of differing materials).

Now, if you do not have distinct and separate exterior and interior lining layers, then your BB is perhaps single-ply. Did you do the "pinch" test the jwiegley did? I also notice on the Parapack items I do own that the back looks different from the front (ie. the back of the Parapack material looks rubberized). Perhaps other new BB owners can chime in.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 03-24-2014 at 10:17 AM.
    Zephyr (Black/Steel), S25 (Black/Iberian), SA (Black/Steel), BB (Back/Steel), A45 (Black/Iberian), TS (Black/Iberian), WF (/Crimson/Steel), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel), , CP (Black/Steel), Ego (Black/Steel/Indigo Stripe), Vertical Brain Cells, FS, Camera I/O, 400d Nordic PCBP/PCSB/TT, SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket, YSS

My brain bag is lined on the bottom and (of course) on the back. All other surfaces are single-ply parapack.
    Blue Parapack Brain Bag with Brain Cell

TB Crew

Can you definitively answer whether the Parapack Brain Bag is "double-ply" throughout the bag - as in a separate exterior layer of Parapack and separete interior lining layer of Parapack (e.g. in the past, the Brain Bag had a 1000d Cordura exterior layer with a 500d cordura interior lining layer - therefore a 2-layer or similar to what we are calling "double-ply").

Also, are there any non-intrusive ways that shows the double layer other than jwiegley's pinch test?

Cheers!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    TB Crew

Can you definitively answer whether the Parapack Brain Bag is "double-ply" throughout the bag - as in a separate exterior layer of Parapack and separete interior lining layer of Parapack (e.g. in the past, the Brain Bag had a 1000d Cordura exterior layer with a 500d cordura interior lining layer - therefore a 2-layer or similar to what we are calling "double-ply").

Also, are there any non-intrusive ways that shows the double layer other than jwiegley's pinch test?

Cheers!
    I'd be interested in this, as well. I also have the Lead's Pocket Pouch for the Guide's Pack (but not the Guide's Pack itself), and I thought your description sounded accurate.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The Brain Bag in Parapack is lined in all the same exact places that the 1000d Cordura version is lined: the bottom (wrapping about half way up the sides, to the end of the zippers) is lined; the zipper flaps are two-ply, the little flap that covers the front top pocket zipper is two-ply. A few other places are two-ply to make the construction possible.

Interesting re: the favor of two-ply vs. one. We're hearing it's more a desire for a certain amount of "heft" to the feel of the fabric? Note that one-ply is more than plenty durable.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Yes, it's just about a nice feeling of thickness, not a question of function (for me). I have a tendency to idly fondle my TB products, they feel so good, and the BB (especially the flap over the outer top pocket) is one of the most satisfying of all. 1050d is likewise delicious, to which my wife readily agrees.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0