Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 3-1-1 issue with Clear Quarter Packing Cube

Question 3-1-1 issue with Clear 3D Packing Cube

Has anyone else had their clear 3D cube NOT allowed as a 3-1-1 bag? I've been very sternly told that the 3-1-1 must be in a quart size zip-lock bag - not larger (I can understand) and not smaller - (say what? are you joking?)! This has happened to me at my hometown airport, San Diego, as well as Albuquerque, and Chicago (Midway Airport). I now carry a quart size zip-lock bag to dump my 3D into if the TSA agent gets strict about it, but I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

ETA: it wasn't every time I flew out of these terminals, just once, so far, for each, and I know that the TSA agent has final say-so. My typical 3-1-1 is travel size shampoo, toothpaste and deodorant, my mascara and lip balm. Nothing out of the ordinary.

ETA: I meant 3D cube, not the CQPC.
    Last edited by Melissa; 03-22-2014 at 06:21 AM.
    Cork/Iberian Swift, Cork Organizer Wallet, Cardinal/Steel Western Flyer, Cardinal OP, Iberian Yarn Stuff Sacks (all 3 sizes) Black/Iberian Side Effect, Iberian PCSB, Iberian Travel Tray, Nordic Travel Tray, Steel Travel Tray Iberian Travel Stuff Sack Navy/Solar Synapse 25, Black/Iberian Ristretto for iPad

I haven't run into that, but I don't use the CQPC, but rather the 3D Clear Organizer Cube. Maybe the double-sided thing throws them off?

I've been "corrected" for not getting it out of my bag fast enough but not for it being too small. Like you, I take a couple quart bags with me. We can never know which side of the bed the TSA agent got up from.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Whoops! I meant my clear 3D cube! Corrected above...I don't own the CQPC, but I may have to remedy that situation.
    Cork/Iberian Swift, Cork Organizer Wallet, Cardinal/Steel Western Flyer, Cardinal OP, Iberian Yarn Stuff Sacks (all 3 sizes) Black/Iberian Side Effect, Iberian PCSB, Iberian Travel Tray, Nordic Travel Tray, Steel Travel Tray Iberian Travel Stuff Sack Navy/Solar Synapse 25, Black/Iberian Ristretto for iPad

I've never had a problem, but I've only had to take mine out of the bag a few times. Thank heavens for TSA Pre-Check, which I can't recommend highly enough for frequent travelers.

Thanks for the heads-up, Melissa. I have not had any problems from TSA on the clear 3D cube, but will toss a quart-sized zip-lock bag in my travel bag just in case...
    Last edited by taminca; 03-22-2014 at 07:14 AM.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Yes. But only in Edinburgh, so I thought it was a British thing. I'm disappointed to see that this is an issue in the States as well. Fortunately for me, the screener had extra bags, but it was still a slight frustration. I don't use much in the way of liquids, but I do wear contacts which necessitate the carrying of cleaner. Also my toothpaste was in there along with some saline spray for the dry aircraft air.

I've never had a problem and I've traveled with my 3D cube more times than I can count. I have had a few TSA agents (typically at my dinky regional airport) require me to unhook it from the keystrap rather than letting it trail along behind my bag. I've also had a couple of agents comment on how the keystrap tag-along was clever.

I have requested TSA pre-check, but never gotten it. I doubt I ever will unless I spring for Global Entry. That said, I flew out of Dulles last week and managed to hit a security line that was testing what was described as "Expanded Pre-Check". I took off my boots because they have buckles and zippers, but I didn't have to remove anything from my bag and I was allowed to wear my jacket.
    Last edited by snowbot; 03-23-2014 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Moved wayward period back where it belonged.

Luckily, no. Like snowbot, I've had some TSA people and screeners in other countries force me to unclip, but no one has complained beyond that. I'll have to remember to include some bags - I'd dislike getting burned by this sort of thing.

I've only had a problem with the 3D cube in Brisbane airport--they first confiscated my dangerous tweezers and eyelash curler (!) and then hassled me about not having my liquids and gels in a plastic baggie. Maybe somebody was having a bad day (somebody other than me, that is...)

I plan to have some problems in the future, though, now that snowbot has provided the clever keystrap MacGiver. :-)
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by snowbot View Post
    I have requested TSA pre-check, but never gotten it I doubt I ever will unless I spring for Global Entry. That said, I flew out of Dulles last week and managed to hit a security line that was testing what was described as "Expanded Pre-Check". I took off my boots because they have buckles and zippers, but I didn't have to remove anything from my bag and I was allowed to wear my jacket.
    You don't have to apply for Global Entry if you just want Pre-check. Just apply for that. I have Global Entry and chose it over just Pre-Check because for $15 more I can get through Customs and Immigration faster when entering the country. Next time you're going through Dulles, give yourself extra time and check out the TSA Enrollment Center on the upper level.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

I had requested Pre-check through the United frequent flyer program, but have never received it, likely because of my name. I do plan on applying for Global Entry because the customs lines at Houston are horrible.

Honestly, Global Entry is so worth it I can't express it. Saving 30+ minutes every time I enter the US is great, and the Pre-check (my real reason for GE; Pre-check alone is a new option) is definitely worth it. Maybe I travel too much, but for me, $20/year seems like a no-brainer.

I just used my new Pre-Check status for the first time, traveling to the DC area this weekend. It was heavenly. Like going back to the days before security involved stripping off half your clothes in front of a gauntlet of screaming blue-gloved TSA agents. It's not just faster, leaving your shoes on and everything in your bags, but it's a lot more dignified. And because you go through a metal detector instead of a body scanner, I didn't have to "opt-out" and endure a pat-down.

Finally, I noticed that they are less likely to do a 'bag-check' in the TSA-Pre lines. Normally, I see every third or fifth bag pulled aside for a bag check, and mine is checked frequently because the densely packed cables and technology in my Co-Pilot confuse the screeners, or they would want to test the travel mug to be sure it was empty. I did not get any bag checks in the TSA-Pre line this weekend, and I didn't notice them checking any other bags. I believe they are instructed to be less stringent.

As for the 3D cube, I always carry an extra Ziploc bag or two in case it is needed.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

I had precheck status on a recent trip out of the country. I don't recall ever applying for it or paying for it. I figured that I was assigned as a frequent flyer. But I'm not complaining. However, on return, precheck status meant nothing, either because of a heightened security alert which was in effect and/or returning from a foreign country (although we have never experienced this returning from Costa Rica or Mexico.) Even though we had three searches in Panama City! we had a very thorough search upon arriving in Houston and before boarding our connecting flight. This was a serious deal: shoes, belts, coats off, liquids out in open, and everyone Xrayed AND pat down. There were LOTS of TSA officials and supervisors present and involved. Maybe it was a federal service audit.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0