Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 5 Day Trip - What Bags to Use?

5 Day Trip - What Bags to Use?

Have a 5 day trip planned to San Diego and am trying to decide what bags to bring. The trip is personal in nature, not a business trip. I was planning to use a Brain Bag and Co-Pilot (Brain Bag for clothes, Co-Pilot for electronics and for use at the destination). I am having second thoughts and am contemplating a Tri-Star (clothes) with Absolute Strap and S19 as a personal item (electronics). The reason for the second thought is this gives me a little more flexibility when I get to SD...I can use the backpack around town and it will hold more stuff. Thoughts? My concern is carrying the backpack and Tri-Star at the same time...
    Black/Steel TS, Black/Steel Aeronaut, Black/Black/Steel Brain Bag, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Black/Steel Pilot, Black/Steel Synapse 19, Black Dyneema/Wasabi Synapse 19, Black/Steel Cadet 11, Black/Steel Imago, Black Dyneema/Wasabi MCB, Navy/Cayenne and Black/Solar SCB, Black/Wasabi and Navy/Iberian SE and many pouches in various sizes. Tom Bihnaholic.

For me, I'd use a Tri-Star with the S19 inside of it when carrying both together. (Actually, I'd use the PCBP or Pilot since I don't have an S19, but same idea....) I like the Russian Nesting Dolls approach to bags, and 5 days is very easy to fit in the Tri-Star with space left over. Especially for SD, where you don't need heavy clothes.

I vote for the TS and S19 as well. Or the TS with an unpacked Co-pilot in the middle?

Brain Bag + Co-Pilot = 2,800 cubic inches vs Tri-Star + S19 = 3,160 cubic inches. This way I can carry something back with me and not have to stuff the bags. Although, the Tri-Star + Co-Pilot might be good too...but only 2,600 cubic inches.
    Black/Steel TS, Black/Steel Aeronaut, Black/Black/Steel Brain Bag, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Black/Steel Pilot, Black/Steel Synapse 19, Black Dyneema/Wasabi Synapse 19, Black/Steel Cadet 11, Black/Steel Imago, Black Dyneema/Wasabi MCB, Navy/Cayenne and Black/Solar SCB, Black/Wasabi and Navy/Iberian SE and many pouches in various sizes. Tom Bihnaholic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tizi View Post
    My concern is carrying the backpack and Tri-Star at the same time...
    That was the reason I bought my MCB for my "personal item" - my S19 is great for the weekday commute, but I want to be able to use the backpack straps on the Tri-Star if I have to schlep across an airport. Hence I bought the PCBP as an "emergency" backpack, because it's dual-function.

Really, though, it depends on how much you might have to carry in SD - will it be enough to require the S19?
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

I'd go with the TS & S19. I like wandering g hands free and I find a backpack to be more comfortable than the CP crossbody.
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

So, Moose, do you wear them turtle-style?
    Moose likes this.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

What I was thinking translated into a rather nonsensical šomment. I was thinking, after arrival, while site seeing I'd rather have hands free with the S19. This presumes the TS is left behind for the day. Sorry for the silliness.

First: A trip to Comic Con? I used to attend when I lived in SD. Miss those days... Very interesting people watching...

As for the bags, I'm with Scribe. I got an MCB as my personal item to go with my TS. However, the MCB may not be in your arsenal, so S19 with TS. The weather in SD is so nice, you won't be overpacking the TS, so it should be easy enough to carry with the absolute strap.

San Diegan here!!!

What are your plans here? What are you planning to carry during the day? Dress is VERY casual in San Diego and we are having an unseasonably warm winter. Depending on your travel dates, you probably need bring only a few pairs of shorts, a pair of jeans and short-sleeve shirts. You should be able to get by carrying just a side effect during the day.
    Last edited by Melissa; 03-21-2014 at 07:31 PM.
    Cork/Iberian Swift, Cork Organizer Wallet, Cardinal/Steel Western Flyer, Cardinal OP, Iberian Yarn Stuff Sacks (all 3 sizes) Black/Iberian Side Effect, Iberian PCSB, Iberian Travel Tray, Nordic Travel Tray, Steel Travel Tray Iberian Travel Stuff Sack Navy/Solar Synapse 25, Black/Iberian Ristretto for iPad

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    What I was thinking translated into a rather nonsensical šomment. I was thinking, after arrival, while site seeing I'd rather have hands free with the S19. This presumes the TS is left behind for the day. Sorry for the silliness.
    I didn't interpret your comment as silly. I was truly wondering/imagining how to manage the two bags simultaneously through an airport.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    I didn't interpret your comment as silly. I was truly wondering/imagining how to manage the two bags simultaneously through an airport.
    Oh, that's easy. I travel with my WF or TS and either my S25 or 19 all the time. The backpack goes over my right shoulder and WF or TS in my left hand. Sometimes I'm forced to carry the backpack by the top handle. I would spend some extra money for those to be poron.
    Moose
    tpnl and taminca like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Sometimes I'm forced to carry the backpack by the top handle. I would spend some extra money for those to be poron.
    Moose, if you mean padded, I absolutely agree! The top handle of the SA is wonderfully padded and so comfortable, even when the bag is loaded 16+ pounds with camera gear. I sure wish the S19 and especially the S25 would have padded handles too.
    Moose and tpnl like this.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    That was the reason I bought my MCB for my "personal item" - my S19 is great for the weekday commute, but I want to be able to use the backpack straps on the Tri-Star if I have to schlep across an airport. Hence I bought the PCBP as an "emergency" backpack, because it's dual-function.

Really, though, it depends on how much you might have to carry in SD - will it be enough to require the S19?
    It's interesting you mention the MCB, I was going to use that as a "packing cube" for the center compartment of the TS stuffed with stuff. We are renting a boat 1 day, pretty much site seeing and shopping the rest. I have a PCBP too if I want to use that. I want to have 2 bags to carry one so I can bring some stuff back if I want.

The weather looks to be in the upper 60s when we go the end of March. Maybe a few long sleeved shirts and maybe a pair of jeans.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0