Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Badger

Thread: Tristar with S19 or Packing Cube Backpack as in town carry?

Tristar with S19 or Packing Cube Backpack as in town carry?

Last year, I used my Aeronaute as luggage, left in the places I was staying and my S19 as in town carry.

My S19 is my EDC, it feels comfortable as in I don't even know I am carrying something.

But, I am trying to be ultra minimalist with the Tristar and I wonder if repurposing the Tristar Packing Cube Backpack at the destination would not be a good idea.

However, I will bring my iPad Mini and feel nervous about carrying it around, even in a Cache in the very thin Tristar Packing Cube Backpack.

Another solution would be to leave the iPad in a safe and only carry a smart phone inside my SCB.

A third solution is to carry the iPad Mini inside its Cache zippered into the Aeronaute Packing Cube Backpack held, along my FJN in a Large Shop Bag.
    As a bonus, The Large Shop Bag expanding abiltity allow it to be used to the fullest as a retail therapy, farmer market, food truck goodies handler.

That third solution looks like the lightest and handiest, as I could carry my Tristar backpack style and Large Shop with SBC, FJN and iPad Mini inside its Cache as the second bag, on my shoulder.

I have done the third option many times: bigger bag in backpack mode (Aeronaut) and everything else into shop bag. The shop bag fits under the seat on the plane and flexibly accommodates a range of stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree that the PCBP feels a bit flimsy to be carrying an iPad around in - I'm planning a trip to the US this summer with my Tri-Star, and I bought an MCB for my "personal item" because it seemed like a safer option for the iPad. TBH I'll probably leave the iPad Mini in my hotel room safe most days and use the PCBP when I need to carry non-fragile/non-valuable stuff that's too big for my pockets/utility belt/SE.
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

scribe, can you post photos or links to the utility belt you mentioned?
    Thanks,
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

I recently took the Tri-Star and PCBP on a weekend away and used the PCBP as my daybag for walking around the town and the music festival and then going down to the lake for a swim. I didn't have my ipad with me (left that in the room) but I did have my SLR in there because I didn't feel like carrying my whole camera bag. I did add a bit of extra padding in the form of my sweatshirt in town and my towel at the lake but beyond that the PCBP seemed to hold up fine carrying the camera/wallet/phone/sunscreen/waterbottle/snacks/hat. I was actually surprised that it was comfortable and balanced. It depends on what you're going to be doing (farmers market vs bouldering, scrambling where the bag might be dragged against rough surfaces). But in the end I suppose the important thing is what you're most comfortable with - if you're worrying about your bag/belongings then you're not enjoying your trip.
    Nordic/Solar Co-Pilot, Steel/UV Tri-Star, Nordic/Solar Side Effect, Plum3-D Organizer

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Anyone seen this utility belt before?: RUNNUR

It would be a city only proposition using public transports and walking.

As much as I love the Large Shop Bag, transporting anything heavy on one shoulder get uncomfortable easily.

I might just bring the S19 either empty in the middle compartment of the Tristar or placed inside the Large Shop Bag, it fits and as long as any bags can be consolidated into 2, I am fine

This is a fourth option, please share if you have any experience travelling that way, or think it would be too much.

The fifth option would be to do what I did last year but with the Tristar, carrying my S19 on my back and the Tristar in my hand until I am in my seat. Place the Tristar in the overhead, then deploy the Large Shop bag, place the S19 in it along with food.

If I take my TB Lifefactory bottle, the S19 is a must.

I wonder if you are perhaps overthinking things? I'm not really sure how stuffing bags into other bags is minimalist, at least in the sense of being uncomplicated and brainlessly easy to execute.

Could you explain where you are going and what you anticipate needing for the trip? It sounds like you're going via plane, and then will be doing a lot of walking and bussing/training at your destination. If you will be out all day, the S19 makes a lot of sense as your daypack since it will be the most comfortable to carry. It seems to me that a lightly packed TS carried in hand plus a lightly packed S19 would be much less of a hassle than a conglomeration of Shop Bags, Cafe Bags, and other such things.

However, I do think that if you are one-bagging with the TS and just need a light bag to hold a few items when you're out and about, the PCBP is probably the most "minimal" choice. I have carried both a 15" MBP and an iPad in a Cache in my TS PCBP and I didn't feel like I was tempting fate or anything. I was just careful when setting it down. It was surprisingly comfortable given the long periods of time I was carrying it. Maybe if you have a bit of time before your trip you could try using the PCBP with the things you anticipate carrying to see how it works?

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Thanks,
    Moose
    Sure. It's not at all Tom Bihn-ish, though - handmade in France, bought on Etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/transaction/...=fb2_tnx_title

I bought it for wearing at SF conventions, so I don't have to worry about losing a shoulder bag. They're very popular with the festival crowd, for similar reasons. It has zip pockets on the inner surface, as well as the pouches all round, so it's as secure as a more utilitarian design.
    Last edited by scribe; 03-21-2014 at 12:51 AM.
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    I wonder if you are perhaps overthinking things? I'm not really sure how stuffing bags into other bags is minimalist, at least in the sense of being uncomplicated and brainlessly easy to execute.

Could you explain where you are going and what you anticipate needing for the trip? It sounds like you're going via plane, and then will be doing a lot of walking and bussing/training at your destination. If you will be out all day, the S19 makes a lot of sense as your daypack since it will be the most comfortable to carry. It seems to me that a lightly packed TS carried in hand plus a lightly packed S19 would be much less of a hassle than a conglomeration of Shop Bags, Cafe Bags, and other such things.

However, I do think that if you are one-bagging with the TS and just need a light bag to hold a few items when you're out and about, the PCBP is probably the most "minimal" choice. I have carried both a 15" MBP and an iPad in a Cache in my TS PCBP and I didn't feel like I was tempting fate or anything. I was just careful when setting it down. It was surprisingly comfortable given the long periods of time I was carrying it. Maybe if you have a bit of time before your trip you could try using the PCBP with the things you anticipate carrying to see how it works?

I think (again) , that you got it right about overthinking.

It seems there a pattern for me of should I, shouldn't I that started some time ago.
    I have welcomed the creation and new motto of Skokum Dog which I have tried to adopt with very little success except when it come to order Tom Bihn items that suit my fancy without feeling too guilty.

I never know what the right think to do is. Besides, of course, don't hurt people, be kind, the basics of ethical behavior and things like choosing clothes, which Tom Bihn Bag and accessories to use for specific tasks, or drop what I am doing to take time to enjoy birds and squirrels getting ready for spring time activities. Otherwise, my French side takes over and everything is an endless debate.

I wish my American and adventurous European side would overwhelm that, say forget it, and let's go! But it doesn't.

The good news is, that happened before then something triggers the adventurous self and it's all better.

I could start with "trips specific stuff I always pack" then take on the trip specific wardrobe then find out what I can and want to buy at the destination.
    There are lots of stores there, I don't have here and I could take a side trip to The Store.

I should just let wanderlust with iTech but without lipstick, take over.

Thanks for the wonderful insights Badger!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0