Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

How to Stretch an Absolute Strap

Ok, not really wanting to literally stretch an absolute strap, but I have found the one that came with my Pilot just a little too short. Now, I will freely admit to being just a little larger than normal (61 230) but hey big boys need love too.

So, does anyone have an elegant solution to extend the strap? I assume this would involve adding something in-line to increase the length, but I still want everything to look neat.

If you just want maybe 3 extra inches, you could get cheater-Ds and metal snap hooks (available on the parts page) to attach the strap to the bag. You might even be able to get longer straps on the cheater-Ds and make the strap as long as you like.

I had the same problem with my CoPilot strap (smaller OP TECH strap) and managed it by adding a double carabiner on each side of the bag and reattached the straps. It's not particularly elegant, but not an eyesore either...and it worked for me.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Thanks for the tip about the parts page I had really forgotten that those items were available. I may take a trip to the local hardware store and browse around. Also, probably poke around on Amazon and see what they might have.

At the end of the day it is by no means unusable, but some type of extension might be nice.

I second the part page over anything else.

After getting one TB Double Carabiner with my Knitting Pouch order, I ordered 10 more with my Nordic order.

I also have a set of extending 1-1/2" Cheater "D": to adapt to TB messenger bags for use with a shoulder strap that uses a snaphook.

The material used for the Double Carabiner and the Cheater D is a lightweight and very strong polymer and the extending length should be enough.

I think that Tom and the Crew should make a long Absolute Strap for those of us with ample profiles.
    Last edited by backpack; 03-20-2014 at 10:26 AM.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0